Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Today I did something in my Garden

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

looks like you've got your plans for the next two weeks of lockdown sorted, so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

kylith wrote: »
    Planted some asparagus in a big pot. In 2-3 years i’ll Eat like a king!

Where did you get the crowns from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭scarepanda

I took a good long walk around the garden in our new house! We finally closed yesterday and got the keys with hours to spare before lockdown!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

scarepanda wrote: »
    I took a good long walk around the garden in our new house! We finally closed yesterday and got the keys with hours to spare before lockdown!

That's good to hear. New or old garden?

That's good to hear. New or old garden?

Old. In decent nick though. Lots of mature trees and a little pond. Can't wait to get my hands stuck into it and build a veg garden. Although I think It will be a year for flowers as we haven't a notion when we'll get to move with this lockdown and there's a couple flower beds/rockeries already built

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Where did you get the crowns from.

A place in Gorey called Spice. No idea I they’ll be any good, but they had wee sprouts in the bag so i took it as a good sign.

• Site Banned Posts: 221 ✭✭SAM SO NITE

I planted Rhodedendrons and Sunflowers in my studio raised garden bed (bizarre combo I know) but they were my late mothers favourite plants.

Mad how the free time afforded to us by the virus gets us up off our arses to start into projects we have had on the long finger for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,336 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Polytunnel cleared out, manure added and ready to go
    Was going to hire a rotavator to help with preparing half our newly cleared garden for lawn seed and the other half just redigging for veg
    Went at it with a pick instead. Should keep me going for 5 days at least

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I planted Rhodedendrons and Sunflowers in my studio raised garden bed (bizarre combo I know) but they were my late mothers favourite plants.
    years ago, i lived in a small house in phibsboro. on a whim one day, i grabbed a couple of handfuls of sunflower seeds i had (human food grade ones, for eating, not 'seeds'), and scattered them over the soil in the small front garden, which had recently been replaced. i ended up with a forest of sunflowers that summer, some probably 10 foot tall. i think there were actually one or two neighbours who didn't like them, but the vast majority of people who expressed an opinion loved them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Mad how the free time afforded to us by the virus gets us up off our arses to start into projects we have had on the long finger for ages.

As good a reason to have them as any I've ever heard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Yesterday i weeded all my flower beds. They look so inviting now. All I want to do is go to a garden centre, wander around it at leisure, and purchase a few new plants :'-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Weeded all my flower beds edged them . Half drained pond for cleaning . Built a new bench in the greenhouse (seedlings getting bigger :) ) cut the lawn and the mother in laws. Built a play bench for niece. I was a machine yesterday. Today might be a day of rest

• Registered Users Posts: 20,453 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Polytunnel cleared out, manure added and ready to go
    Was going to hire a rotavator to help with preparing half our newly cleared garden for lawn seed and the other half just redigging for veg
    Went at it with a pick instead. Should keep me going for 5 days at least

That will be good exercise. If you had a Chillington hoe, especially one with the double head, it might be easier. I have the ordinary ones, large and small, and they are very good.

https://www.chillingtontoolsonline.co.uk/pickmattock-p86

My garden is currently being ploughed. The farmer is coming back mid week with his rotavator.
    I'm a month ahead of schedule on last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,336 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

That will be good exercise. If you had a Chillington hoe, especially one with the double head, it might be easier. I have the ordinary ones, large and small, and they are very good.

https://www.chillingtontoolsonline.co.uk/pickmattock-p86

Thanks
    By the time that gets delivered I'll have the garden dug out and drills dug.
    Hopefully putting in spuds by the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

My normal Irish site is not shipping seeds due to warehouse restrictions. Anywhere else to try get seeds, or Uk based company?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Just finshed spreading some fertilizer post scarifying and the rain has arrived for the first time in about 3 weeks....noice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Carrots are in! (note to self when doing next batch for winter sow on a calm day!) The seeds are from Lidl which is proving a real help right now even if the range is of course limited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

My normal Irish site is not shipping seeds due to warehouse restrictions. Anywhere else to try get seeds, or Uk based company?

What kind of seeds? Chiltern seeds, great dixter and sarah raven are all still shipping from UK (via parcel motel for sarah raven)

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

Ordered from Tamar organics and Kings seeds this week, both UK.
    Are seedaholics delivering or brown seed envelopes, seed savers .. all irish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Seedaholics aren’t delivering last day I checked

Ordered from Tamar organics and Kings seeds this week, both UK.
    Are seedaholics delivering or brown seed envelopes, seed savers .. all irish

I checked today and seedaholic are not delivering at the moment. They were up to last week though

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Cal04

Looking for a Niagra Sambuca shrub/tree..saw online but shipping was nearly 9 euro so will just wait until places back running

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Took about a decade of growth out of the most ignorant, spikey, annoying ditch of a hedge over the last few days. Mix of Elder, Whitethorn and Ivy. Was about 20ft high and about 10 wide. Have it down to eye level now.

Cúnt of a job. But it's done.

508002.png

Got 1st and 2nd earlies planted along with cabbage, onions and carrots in the last few days.
    Planting main crop tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Got carrots and peas sown today. All excited; hope the new bed works out ok.

Took about a decade of growth out of the most ignorant, spikey, annoying ditch of a hedge over the last few days. Mix of Elder, Whitethorn and Ivy. Was about 20ft high and about 10 wide. Have it down to eye level now.

Cúnt of a job. But it's done.

508002.png

Ah hope you checked for nests... our hedgegrow buzzing with birds making nests right now.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Ah hope you checked for nests... our hedgegrow buzzing with birds making nests right now.

Should have said. I checked carefully for nests throughout. No leaves yet on either the Elder or Whitethorn and to be honest the birds don't nest in either it seems. I didn't even come across any old ones.

Should have said. I checked carefully for nests throughout. No leaves yet on either the Elder or Whitethorn and to be honest the birds don't nest in either it seems. I didn't even come across any old ones.

So glad to hear, sorry I wasn't being bossy asking you that. It pains me to see our native hedges cut during nesting season. Our whitehorn here is like an apartment block, so many nesting. You'll be at the shredder for awhile after all that work!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Planted a few things indoors over the past month or so.

Peppers, chillis, lettuce, kale, oregano, parsley, mint, spinach, wheatgrass, carrots, strawberries, tomatoes, beetroot and some apple trees I planted from seed in autumn 2019.

Will be moving some of them to the garden soon.

Advertisement