Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Prospects and Discussion (January + Early Feb 2012)

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Wild Bill wrote: »
    It ridded the country (mostly) of the hideous cordylines (cabbage palms) - it reduced populations of various bugs enormously.

All good stuff.

I hate the f****** things! :mad:

We had a 20 year old specimen in our garden that after the winter was looking very sorry for itself, and when there was no evidence of life, it got attacked with the pruning saw and taken down to about 2 Ft stumps.

To my surprise, the remnants have put shoots out in late summer, and it is starting to recover. Its going to take time, but as I don't hate it, that's not a problem.

We've also got 2 potted bay trees, they also suffered very badly, both of them are pretty much at the stage where they need to be cut back to ground level and the new growth shaped, as the old growth is dead.

Ideally, we want snow rather than severe frost, my rhubarb is already showing signs of shooting, and frost will not do that any good at all. We also planted some new crowns from Lidl, if they get frosted, they will probably be killed as they are so tender at the moment.

The FI stuff is looking very thought provoking indeed, I may be very happy that I've just had to put new tyres on my 4x4:D

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Not a bad 10 day outlook, watch for Pacific heights trying to push across the pole.
    610day.03.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Joe Bastardi just said on twitter confirming winter on its way to western Europe in about 10days. Quote: The flip is coming... and looks real and for some, may be spectacular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

I wouldn't use the word confirming for heavens sake.

Bastardi is great crack to read and insightfull but he does not know the future,he's going on an FI chart ffs!

@BigJoeBastardi Joe Bastardi
    Winter coming to Western Europe in 10 days. Here is day 15 500 mb pic.twitter.com/RUPfFviG

Oh and the quote you give above refers to his tweet on North america not Europe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

blackius wrote: »
    I wouldn't use the word confirming for heavens sake.

Bastardi is great crack to read and insightfull but he does not know the future,he's going on an FI chart ffs!

@BigJoeBastardi Joe Bastardi
    Winter coming to Western Europe in 10 days. Here is day 15 500 mb pic.twitter.com/RUPfFviG

Oh and the quote you give above refers to his tweet on North america not Europe...

Sorry!! He said winter coming to W Europe. you are right he doesn't know the future or does anyone else thats why the charts are there to see a pattern forming over different runs. The models are there to used and 10 days out for me is not in coco land.

Yes his last quote was on N America my mistake sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Models aren't great this morning and some doom and gloom in the stratwarm thread on NW!

The drama of model watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Models aren't great this morning and some doom and gloom in the stratwarm thread on NW!

The drama of model watching.

Best ECM this winter imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Best ECM this winter imo.

I agree 100% Beasterly

The ECM for the end of next week is very good with cold coming in from the east................interesting model watching ahead. It will switch back and forth however at least the Atlantic onslaught appears to be finally slowing down....:)

D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

derekon wrote: »
    I agree 100% Beasterly

The ECM for the end of next week is very good with cold coming in from the east................interesting model watching ahead. It will switch back and forth however at least the Atlantic onslaught appears to be finally slowing down....:)

D

If that ECM came off i think Wicklow, Wexford and South Dublin could get a few light snow showers. But it won't so lets hope it changes for the better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Our winter is looking worse every day :( for the last month we were expecting this cold winter to start from 15-18 on but now the experts are saying its looking less likely ;( I really don't get it or is people just guessing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Our winter is looking worse every day :( for the last month we were expecting this cold winter to start from 15-18 on but now the experts are saying its looking less likely ;( I really don't get it or is people just guessing!

It's coming alright, the intensity of what is on its way is anybody's guess at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Icanseethewind

Hello all,
    I would like to introduce myself. My name is Denis and I am from Co.Mayo. I am in my 60s and only recently learned how to use a computer (my wife has been using one for ten years but I only got interested last year there was a course in the local hall) I am a retired farmer and I know the signs of nature and over the years I have gotten to know all the signals that we can use to forecast the weather. I am not a mad buck as some people think but I like to use both science and nature to make predictions. I hope I can learn more on here and that ye may learn from me. I am very close to nature and know the signs. I hope I can contribute on here and I know ehat ye think, (my grandsons tell me all the time) that only science can tell the weather. Yes it can but so can nature....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Hello all,
    I would like to introduce myself. My name is Denis and I am from Co.Mayo. I am in my 60s and only recently learned how to use a computer (my wife has been using one for ten years but I only got interested last year there was a course in the local hall) I am a retired farmer and I know the signs of nature and over the years I have gotten to know all the signals that we can use to forecast the weather. I am not a mad buck as some people think but I like to use both science and nature to make predictions. I hope I can learn more on here and that ye may learn from me. I am very close to nature and know the signs. I hope I can contribute on here and I know ehat ye think, (my grandsons tell me all the time) that only science can tell the weather. Yes it can but so can nature....

Welcome to the forum! Always nice to see new faces here. So, give us your opinion what may or may not happen then :D A new outlook on scenarios is always welcome :)

Hello all,

Welcome Denis.

Nature's signals are very interesting relating to the weather and can certainly give indications of what may be happening. Science is possibly only just starting to study the way other animals are in tune with elements that create the weather. Take fish and their lateral line - a totally different sense than we humans have, so not something we readily understand, yet many that study fish behaviour will claim they are affected and respond to pressure changes, etc. So yeah very interesting stuff and one I'm sure we will learn more about through science in years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,958 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Hello all,

Welcome denis, Everybody's opinion is welcome no matter how bonkers it may seem to some. I've a small interest in the nature side of things so look forward to hearing your thoughts over the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Hello all,

Welcome and is it going to snow soon :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Denis - just be careful not to mention the weather effects on plants or animal life - that can be touchy around here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Well, ive just walked home from the pub, the mass/swarms of starlings making a noise in the trees is over whelming. Is this a sign of anything?

Hello all,

Welcome to the forum. I always like hearing about weather lore. I hope you'll enjoy the craic and discussion we have on here. :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

snaps wrote: »
    Well, ive just walked home from the pub, the mass/swarms of starlings making a noise in the trees is over whelming. Is this a sign of anything?

It means they don't like the smell of beer on your breath. I'd be careful if I were you.

• Advertisement

snaps wrote: »

Just that they are getting ready to roost and to possibly defecate down on top of any unwary passers by.

Murmurations of starlings have been known to attack and kill humans but they say it is quick and painless, so I wouldn't be unduly worried.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I am not a mad buck as some people think but I like to use both science and nature to make predictions. I hope I can learn more on here and that ye may learn from me. I am very close to nature and know the signs.
    If a Donegal Man can foretell from natures signs then there is no reason to assume that a Mayo Man would be any less on the ball. Most especially seeing as you told us straight up from the off.

I very much look forward to seeing a post predicting an approximate week or fortnight away weather setup based on the antics of your local flora and fauna. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭oisingeogho

It's been a long run of fairly mild weather, particularly for England and Wales with cold and snow this winter limited to Scotland in the main with just the occasional colder incursion further south. Is all that about to change though?

In the Winter forecast the outlook was for milder December with a change of pattern arriving during January bringing colder weather, and there are some indications that the changes are now beginning to occur.

Without getting too technical, it's all about the stratosphere and it's temperature - in summary a colder stratosphere means a stronger jetstream and more atlantic based weather for the UK, as we've seen in recent times. There are signs that the stratosphere is warming though, and that would increase the risk of some colder air making it's way toward the UK.

As ever with the weather though, this is far from a straight forward process so there are most definitely no guarantees of significant cold arriving any time soon, but it does seem likely that less mild weather will be arriving in 7-10 days time & beyond that we'll really need to keep a close eye on developments.

The forecasting models are giving some hints on the type of weather that could arrive in the latter part of their runs, but they're also chopping and changing with every update which gives some good clues as to just how uncertain the detail in the medium range outlook is.

We'll obviously be keeping you up to date throughout...

At shorter range, to start the upcoming week we'll be seeing a north, south split in place with some wet and windy weather affecting Scotland in particular during Monday. The wet weather fades the further south you head though with high pressure close by and it's likely that it's influence will spread north later in the week.

Temperature wise it'll be a fairly mild start to the week with no frosts likely until the second part of the week - watch too for some fog patches in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Hello all,

All sorts welcome here. If you're right, bonus! I personally think natural signs are there but we don't read things correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

It's been a long run of fairly mild weather, particularly for England and Wales with cold and snow this winter limited to Scotland in the main with just the occasional colder incursion further south. Is all that about to change though?

In the Winter forecast the outlook was for milder December with a change of pattern arriving during January bringing colder weather, and there are some indications that the changes are now beginning to occur.

Without getting too technical, it's all about the stratosphere and it's temperature - in summary a colder stratosphere means a stronger jetstream and more atlantic based weather for the UK, as we've seen in recent times. There are signs that the stratosphere is warming though, and that would increase the risk of some colder air making it's way toward the UK.

As ever with the weather though, this is far from a straight forward process so there are most definitely no guarantees of significant cold arriving any time soon, but it does seem likely that less mild weather will be arriving in 7-10 days time & beyond that we'll really need to keep a close eye on developments.

The forecasting models are giving some hints on the type of weather that could arrive in the latter part of their runs, but they're also chopping and changing with every update which gives some good clues as to just how uncertain the detail in the medium range outlook is.

We'll obviously be keeping you up to date throughout...

At shorter range, to start the upcoming week we'll be seeing a north, south split in place with some wet and windy weather affecting Scotland in particular during Monday. The wet weather fades the further south you head though with high pressure close by and it's likely that it's influence will spread north later in the week.

Temperature wise it'll be a fairly mild start to the week with no frosts likely until the second part of the week - watch too for some fog patches in places.

The 12z runs have flipped again and dropped the easterly, a major turn around in 12 hours the models are really all over the place:mad:

12Z ECM is just in love with that high pressure!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

The 12z runs have flipped again and dropped the easterly, a major turn around in 12 hours the models are really all over the place:mad:

It could change back again in the next 6 hours for all we know.

I think it was M.T Cranium said last week the models will be all over the place.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76308179&postcount=3146

He seems to be right on the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,958 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

The easterly was premature and it wouldn't have lated more than a few days with such a strong PV. I'm still very happy with yesterday and todays output, All the signs are their. We still have height rises to our north and the vortex is weakening. Gfs 12z fantasy island has huge potential today.

it may not be mid month but the cold is coming of that I'm positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

baraca wrote: »
    The easterly was premature and it wouldn't have lated more than a few days with such a strong PV. I'm still very happy with yesterday and todays output, All the signs are their. We still have height rises to our north and the vortex is weakening. Gfs 12z fantasy island has huge potential today.

it may not be mid month but the cold is coming of that I'm positive.

It will come and you are right the signs are there, but the vortex really has to weaken over Greenland to allow any decent blocking, Patience required:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jirafa

Detailed week ahead and outlook 8/1/12 From: WeatherSchool .................. http://youtu.be/Z7p40rBoaa4

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement