Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earthquakes In Ireland and the UK

Comments

Unconfirmned reports of earthquake harrogate North Yorkshire.

Still looking for confirmed reports.

confirmed on sky news :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

also felt strongly in Ripon, n yorkshire

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    also felt strongly in Ripon, n yorkshire

have you heard what size? Im just seeing 'small' :)

just heard 4.0

may have been centred in the north sea jake so the mag 4 would not have been felt as strongly on land

• Advertisement

ENGLAND.jpg
    A small earthquake has been recorded in North Yorkshire less than a fortnight after a 3.5 magnitude quake hit Cumbria.

The UK Geological Survey says the 3.7 magnitude earth tremor was centred west of Ripon in North Yorkshire and took place at 9.03PM (GMT). Reports suggest the tremor was also felt in parts of Cumbria, Greater Manchester and West Yorkshire.

Northern England is situated on a fault zone known as the Craven Fault. The Craven Fault is a series of geological fault lines (including the North Craven Fault, the Mid Craven Fault, and the South Craven Fault) which run along the southern and western edges of the Yorkshire Dales, formed at the underlying boundary of the Askrigg Block.

US Geological Survey report on tonight's quake HERE

An earthquake measuring 3.5 on the Richter scale was recorded in Cumbria and Lancashire on 21 December. People described hearing and feeling the earth moving "for well over a minute" at just after 11pm.

Earthquakes are quite common in Ireland and the UK but most go unnoticed. The most significant earthquake to affect Ireland took place in May 2010 when a magnitude 2.7 tremor hit Lisdoonvarna in County Clare. The quake, intensity level 3, is the most severe quake to hit the Republic of Ireland in recent years. It also was the first tremor or earthquake to be recorded in the west of Ireland in modern times.

The only other recorded earthquake to hit the country in 2010 occurred on January 9th when a tremor measuring 1.6 on the Richter scale struck the Inishowen Peninsula in Donegal.

An earthquake measuring 5.5 on the Richter scale, the largest ever recorded in Ireland, hit Dublin in 1984. Aftershocks from the quake measured up to 4 on the Richter scale.

For more on UK and Ireland earthquakes visit our seismic monitor page.

2.2 magnitude earthquake in western Scotland on Monday. Felt in Torridon (Scottish Highlands). There are about 15-20 earthquakes that exceed magnitude 2.0 in Ireland and the UK every year.

20111114003156.jpg.0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Bellis perennis

Was there an earthqauke in/near Ireland last night (01/12/2011)?
    At around 23:30 my husband and I heard a loud bang and the house shook. We live in a rural area and not near a main road with heavy traffic. No quarries or roads being built nearby, a door didn't slam shut etc. Thinking it may have been a minor earthquake.

Where do you live?

Outside Tallow, Co. Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭megatron989

At around 23:30 my husband and I heard a loud bang and the house shook. We live in a rural area and not near a main road with heavy traffic. No quarries or roads being built nearby, a door didn't slam shut etc. Thinking it may have been a minor earthquake.

You ever see that movie paranormal activity?

Thanks. I will check it out for you and let you know. Could you PM me your email address please.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Doesn't sound like an earthquake. Sounds more like a sonic boom from an aircraft.

No seismic activity has been recorded in this area in decades. Cannot find any record of fracking activity in the area either so Maq's suggested cause may not be far off the mark.

Have a query in to the BGS and DIAS. Am expecting a call back shortly. Will update accordingly.

I had not thought about sonic boom Maquiladora, good suggestion though. However, with concorde gone there is probably no way of finding out about any other supersonic jet flight path.

If Wolfe can confirm an earthquake then that would solve it. Otherwise, I don't think we will ever know what it was which would be more annoying than anything else. I will ask our nearest neighbour if they heard/felt anything.

Doesn't look like there was any earthquake at that time or early on Friday. I have no idea what that loud bang was. Maybe Su Campu will be able to find out what aircraft were overhead Tallow at 11.30pm last night.

Seismogram from the Dublin Mountains, 01-12-11

DSB.20110112.gif

Seismogram from Valentia, Kerry
    VAL.20110112.gif

Thank you very much WolfIRE for going to the effort to get this info. It is greatly appreciated. At least it can be ruled out.

Apologies to hassle you further but who/what is Su Campu?

Thank you very much WolfIRE for going to the effort to get this info. It is greatly appreciated. At least it can be ruled out.

Apologies to hassle you further but who/what is Su Campu?

No prob:) Am interested in the topic so it's my pleasure. Su Campu is a member of this forum and an aviation enthusiast.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

There were F-15 jets from Lakenheath training yesterday but I don't know where. Maybe if they were out at sea and one went supersonic and the sound reflected off clouds to the south coast or something? Heh it's all I can think of. Could be a some top secret aircraft either. ;)

• Advertisement

Hi,

Spoke to Tom Blake from DIAS who has asked if you could fill out the questionairre here
    http://www.dias.ie/index.php?option=...id=240&lang=en

Tom said that because the seismogram did not clearly register the quake does not mean one did not occur.

He also said that earth tremors can occur in Waterford but are of course not that common.

Regards,

Wolfe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Sorry FOlks.... it was me! ..... i was playing battlefield 3 with my Surround sound up to 11 ... those Javelin missiles are loud buggers!

:rolleyes:

Thanks WolfeIRE, I will fill out the questionnaire.

There was a magnitude 2.2 earth tremor in Cornwall at 2:40 am on Sunday. The BGS said it was felt in Bodmin. It was recorded at a depth of 3km

MORE http://www.quakes.bgs.ac.uk/earthquakes/recent_events/20111204023904.html#page=summary

2.2 magnitude tremor near Blackburn on Saturday.

Could have something to do with fracking activity in the Lancashire region

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Hi Bellis Perennis, I'm not too far from you (between 20/30km) as the crow flies, and although it's a good time ago now, I think I would have taken note if I had felt or heard something... I'm interested in all that. Didn't notice anything though. Was it one of the stormy nights ? Could it have been thunder/lightning strike very near you I wonder ? I can't remember the weather that far back. :o

Interesting one. Subsea tremor (2.1 mag) recorded in the Irish Sea last night at 11:17PM, the first quake to be recorded in the Irish Sea since 2008.

A 2.1 magnitude earthquake is the equivalent of the rumbling felt when an articulated truck drives past your house. Such tremors are only felt, if at all, by those in close proximity to the epicentre.

The tremblor struck at a depth of 7km, 39km east of Douglas, Isle of Man, and 50KM SSW of Whitehaven, Cumbria (highlighted in green here)

Past Irish earthquakes here

Interestingly, there was another tremor today. This time it was near Stoke and it measured 2.4 on the Richter Scale.

http://www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk/earthquakes/recent_events/20120111115929.html#page=summary

It was recorded at a depth of just 1km meaning that it would have most likely been felt locally

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭windingo

Odd to think that they can even happen in this part of the world were just that used to them not happening I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Interesting one. Subsea tremor (2.1 mag)

The tremblor struck at a depth of 7km, 39km east of Douglas,
    Isle of Man, and 50KM SSW of Whitehaven, Cumbria (highlighted in green here)

Past Irish earthquakes here

Ah, that'll be them Dublin people trying to get rid of the IOM shadow in preparation for the snow ! Own up people, which one of yous is trying to blow it up ?

The lengths they go to..... :rolleyes:

Advertisement