Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

Of course it matters, if a transition from closed to open has a bad effect then a transition from open to closed will have a good effect.

If either transition were to have no effect, then obviously the other one wouldn't either.

How could there be a noticeable effect in one "direction" but not the other?

I think you have misunderstood my post and failed to gather the sarcasm. It's late on a Saturday night, so I'll leave you off on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Well I'm now facing into my 4th month of unemployment. I spent the last 3 days putting up 4000 LED bulbs around the outside of the house. I went proper Clark Griswold this year up on the ladder right up to the roof

Tomorrow I'm turning them on. November is going to be a long tough month and anything that brightens that up should be done.

Wish you were my neighbour like to see that every night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Countries all around Europe tightening restrictions more and more as cases spiral out of control. Multiples of April peaks in new daily cases.
    Ireland sitting at the top of class for suppression. Our Christmas might be in the balance but many other countries haven't a hope of a decent one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

JP100 wrote: »
    I think you have misunderstood my post and failed to gather the sarcasm. It's late on a Saturday night, so I'll leave you off on it!

Ok, but were you also being sarcastic in the post I originally replied to ?

I ask because I don't know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Jimson wrote: »
    Hahaha fully agree, there just asytomatic, pass it onto their parents who are probably also asytomatic.

But no 30 students in a classroom cannot get the virus, there just immune apparently.

The nursing homes are rampant because they show symptoms. I think people forget 85% of people show no symptoms
    Can you please show a source for that?
    I have only seen one source, the HPSC report, which lists 60% of positive cases present with symptoms when they are tested.
    Symptoms.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,559 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I now know 7 people that have tested positive for Covid in Galway. None of them had any symptoms whatsoever. Oldest was 55.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Jimson

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Can you please show a source for that?
    I have only seen one source, the HPSC report, which lists 60% of positive cases present with symptoms when they are tested.
    Symptoms.png

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20201009/86-percent-of-the-UKs-COVID-19-patients-have-no-symptoms.aspx

You are going by people who are showing symptoms or close contacts i believe?

The positive tests in Ireland we get daily are probably only about about 15% of the people who actually have it.

Well probably more than 15% with the close contact tracing.

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20201009/86-percent-of-the-UKs-COVID-19-patients-have-no-symptoms.aspx

You are going by people who are showing symptoms or close contacts i believe?
    That's based on only 115 cases, far less than the HPSC report of 9079.
    A poster above mentioned 100% of cases he knew were asympotmatic.
    Which one would I go by?

The HSPC report is based on 9079 positive cases over 14 days, of which 5473 had symptoms at the time their swab was taken.

That's based on only 115 cases, far less than the HPSC report of 9079.
    A poster above mentioned 100% of cases he knew were asympotmatic.
    Which one would I go by?

The HSPC report is based on 9079 positive cases over 14 days, of which 5473 had symptoms at the time their swab was taken.

Do you have a link to that report? Is that 9079 random tests? Well if people had symptoms beforehand that's why their been tested isn't it?

I'm confused here??

• Advertisement

Do you have a link to that report? Is that 9079 random tests? Well if people had symptoms beforehand that's why their been tested isn't it?

I'm confused here??

Sure, page 3 of the report here:
    https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/surveillance/covid-1914-dayepidemiologyreports/COVID-19_14_day_epidemiology_report_20201014%20-%20website.pdf
    It's based on people tested over a period of 14 days, some will be contacts of confirmed cases, some will be serial/mass testing etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

So really we are just testing people that show symptoms that could be admitted to hospital to keep hospital numbers down. I understand the close contact testing as well that happens because of this.

Them numbers by RTE not really worth a flying feck then really as 85% of people are asytomatic.

Might not be as high as 85%

If I had to guess I'd say of today's 400 cases only 150- 200 are actually contagious and capable of infecting others

Amount of people that have tested pcr positive with no symptoms and mixed with other people and not infected other people is common

China dont even count asymptomatic people as cases these days

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Dr Nolan said we caught 1/3 cases in the first wave and are catching 100% of cases now.

This kind of data shows him for the fool he is.

He's never said we're catching 100% of cases.

Sure, page 3 of the report here:
    https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/surveillance/covid-1914-dayepidemiologyreports/COVID-19_14_day_epidemiology_report_20201014%20-%20website.pdf
    It's based on people tested over a period of 14 days, some will be contacts of confirmed cases, some will be serial/mass testing etc...

ah thats most based though on people who willfully went forward for testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Strumms wrote: »

Once we have a vaccine life becomes normal.

No it simply doesn’t

Strumms wrote: »
    Once we have a vaccine life becomes normal.
    No it simply doesn’t

Once the last person in the country receives a vaccine, life can go back to normal, it won;t happen with the first person being vaacinated!

ah thats most based though on people who willfully went forward for testing.

So you basing the 85% asymptomatic on what exactly?
    People who don't get tested????

Fact is, based on Irish data and stats, if 1000 people test positive today. 600 will have had symptoms at the time they were tested.

Thierry12 wrote: »
    Might not be as high as 85%

If I had to guess I'd say of today's 400 cases only 150- 200 are actually contagious and capable of infecting others

Amount of people that have tested pcr positive with no symptoms and mixed with other people and not infected other people is common

China dont even count asymptomatic people as cases these days

I don't even think I need to say anything about what's highlighted in bold.
    But wow, a guess, that's great, just guess stuff up with no data to back it up.
    Are you implying asymptomatic people can't spread covid? (I'm gonna leave the China and counting cases to other posters)

So you basing the 85% asymptomatic on what exactly?
    People who don't get tested????

Fact is, based on Irish data and stats, if 1000 people test positive today. 600 will have had symptoms at the time they were tested.

I don't think you get my point

Do you think its only the people that are going for tests are the only people in Ireland that have the virus?

The numbers reported daily are minuscule to the people that actually have it.

Most people won't get tested as they have no reason to as they either have no symptoms or very minimal symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Once the last person in the country receives a vaccine, life can go back to normal, it won;t happen with the first person being vaacinated!

You seem very confident

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Bollox, its not the the last person. Once all the vulnerable people get vaccination then we can move on

I don't think you get my point

Do you think its only the people that are going for tests are the only people in Ireland that have the virus?

The numbers reported daily are minuscule to the people that actually have it.

Most people won't get tested as they have no reason to as they either have no symptoms or very minimal symptoms.

You're making up a starting point of 85% of cases being asymptomatic and working backwards from there.

Of course the numbers reported are not the total cases out there, but that's based on positivity rate and not just 85% plucked from thin air.
    The lower the positivity rate, the less cases you miss.
    95% of people going for a test in Ireland don't have Covid. To say there's a massive amount out there with it, that don't have symptoms and don't get tested, well i'd love to see where your getting that info from.

You seem very confident

Well i'm confident it wont go back to normal simply by having a vaccine and just vaccinating one person.

You're making up a starting point of 85% of cases being asymptomatic and working backwards from there.

Of course the numbers reported are not the total cases out there, but that's based on positivity rate and not just 85% plucked from thin air.
    The lower the positivity rate, the less cases you miss.
    95% of people going for a test in Ireland don't have Covid. To say there's a massive amount out there with it, that don't have symptoms and don't get tested, well i'd love to see where your getting that info from.

Common sense. Well obviously if you don't have symptoms why would you get tested? Should people start taking a weekly test just in case or something?

Another interesting article

https://www.advisory.com/daily-briefing/2020/08/13/asymptomatic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭Polar101

Quietest Halloween for many a year, no fireworks in the adjacent park, no knocks at the door.

Dogs and humans happy out.

Interesting, complete opposite here - fireworks from 4pm to 11pm non-stop, loads of people about, some kids going round the houses as well. Enjoyed watching some of the fireworks myself, but probably not the nicest night for pets.

Covid-wise it didn't really seem like a superspreader event.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Bollox, its not the the last person. Once all the vulnerable people get vaccination then we can move on

Define vulnerable? You mean 30% of the population with underlying conditions?
    Or those 30% plus the over 65+?
    Because that total figure would get you well above 30% of the population.
    You have to remember most of the world (156 countries) has signed up to a fair distribution of any approved vaccine (COVAX plan). So initially countries can vaccinate 3% of their population, once all countries signed up reach 3%, they move on to 10%. Once all have 10% vaccinated, they can then go all out.

I would actually love to know the % of people hospitalized with or without an underlying condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

It doesn't need everyone in the country to get the vaccine before herd immunity kicks in and stops the spread

Polar101 wrote: »
    Interesting, complete opposite here - fireworks from 4pm to 11pm non-stop, loads of people about, some kids going round the houses as well. Enjoyed watching some of the fireworks myself, but probably not the nicest night for pets.

Covid-wise it didn't really seem like a superspreader event.

Extremely quite here, a normal Halloween most neighbors have Halloween decorations up, only 2 did. I didn't see any trick or treaters, bangers and rockets went off, but nowhere near previous years.... and one massive difference, I didn't hear one siren all night.

It will be interesting to see how many call outs the Fire Brigade had this year compared to previous ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

I don't even think I need to say anything about what's highlighted in bold.
    But wow, a guess, that's great, just guess stuff up with no data to back it up.
    Are you implying asymptomatic people can't spread covid? (I'm gonna leave the China and counting cases to other posters)

Not sure if you're disputing the China comment but it is indeed true. Asymptomatic people with a positive test in China are not considered a confirmed case.

Edit: They do count and release the asymptomatic numbers these days, just don't add them to the total case number.

• Advertisement

fritzelly wrote: »
    It doesn't need everyone in the country to get the vaccine before herd immunity kicks in and stops the spread

I know that, but it certainly wont occur with the first person, it will be closer to the last person.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement