Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paving ageing and upkeep

• 30-10-2020 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi,
    Does anyone have advice or insight into how paving ages over time? Pictures would be appreciated.

We are talking with a landscaper about getting silver granite paving in our back garden and we don't have any experience with it or what upkeep is needed.

There seems to be a significant price difference between what he is suggesting and the cheaper option of Kilsaran brand.

Thanks for help.

G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭rje66

Hi,
    Does anyone have advice or insight into how paving ages over time? Pictures would be appreciated.

We are talking with a landscaper about getting silver granite paving in our back garden and we don't have any experience with it or what upkeep is needed.

There seems to be a significant price difference between what he is suggesting and the cheaper option of Kilsaran brand.

Thanks for help.

G
    Basically granite is natural stone and Kilsaran brand id just dyed concrete (you probably know this). It will fade over time . Granite if looked after will always look good. Upkeep should only be a power wash once or twice a year. If its in s shady area it can go a bit green, but this is easily washed away. Attached picture is good few years down.

Go for the granite ahead of the cheaper option, which as stated above is most likely dyed concrete and will fade. I'd never take the cheaper option with paving.

Consider the aspect of the patio - if it's south facing then you will have less moss, algae and the general green mess that is the bane of every gardener in this country. A north facing patio will get very green and slippery if not looked after.

I'd be wary of power washing natural stone to be honest. I don't power wash my blue limestone patio at all and just let the rain wash it for me. Sweep it regularly and don't let leaves and dirt build up. However, I do clean my north facing cobble lock drive with washing powder once a year and it kills all the moss and algae brilliantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Ghostswimmer

Go for the granite ahead of the cheaper option, which as stated above is most likely dyed concrete and will fade. I'd never take the cheaper option with paving.

Consider the aspect of the patio - if it's south facing then you will have less moss, algae and the general green mess that is the bane of every gardener in this country. A north facing patio will get very green and slippery if not looked after.

I'd be wary of power washing natural stone to be honest. I don't power wash my blue limestone patio at all and just let the rain wash it for me. Sweep it regularly and don't let leaves and dirt build up. However, I do clean my north facing cobble lock drive with washing powder once a year and it kills all the moss and algae brilliantly.

Thanks for that. We have actually looked at limestone also more recently (more on the silver than blue) and like it too. How does limestone age over time, especially in Ireland. The garden is east-facing.

Thanks for that. We have actually looked at limestone also more recently (more on the silver than blue) and like it too. How does limestone age over time, especially in Ireland. The garden is east-facing.

You need to buy high end, Irish limestone which will cost you up to 50e p sqm. Kilkenny is a good quarry. The cheaper stuff is most likely imported and will not age well in the Irish weather. I'm not familiar with silver limestone. I wouldn't look past granite, Irish limestone or porcelain to be honest.

Advertisement