Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2020 World Snooker Championship

Options
1130131132133134136»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I think Hendry will get annoyed he is such a perfectionist any drop in standard frustrates him. Will never have the atitude Davis had when he got older give it a go and see what happens. Davis did not put himself under pressure to well as his snooker powers waned.
    I would like to be proved wrong as well - but I think this comeback will be shortlived.

I agree. Over the last few days I've been watching some famous historical matches between Hendry and Ronnie and others via youtbue. Some I hadn't seen. Hendry was always a bit of a sulker but whenever he played someone on his general level, he seemed to tighten up with his demeanour on top level sulk.

Point being, if he is to make a success of this, he's going to have to go through all that again but deal with it better this time. I can't see that happening. It's as if he's forgotten the psychological effort it takes to be at the top as if all it would take is to sort out his sighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

AllForIt wrote: »
    I agree. Over the last few days I've been watching some famous historical matches between Hendry and Ronnie and others via youtbue. Some I hadn't seen. Hendry was always a bit of a sulker but whenever he played someone on his general level, he seemed to tighten up with his demeanour on top level sulk.

Point being, if he is to make a success of this, he's going to have to go through all that again but deal with it better this time. I can't see that happening. It's as if he's forgotten the psychological effort it takes to be at the top as if all it would take is to sort out his sighting.

Ironically for all the talk of Ronnie being a perfectionist. I think his 'not bovvered mate. y'know' way of calming himself has helped him.

Saw this interview between ROS and Andy Goldstein late April 2020 - lockdown Ronnie not a care in the world.

But the bit that shocked me was Ronnie went 9 months without hitting a ball.
    Not even an exhibition. @0.35

Goldstein: And how did that effect you?

ROS: 6-7 weeks practice then I won the worlds mate....

@0.49 even Goldstein who knows him well since school was surprised

I can never imagine Hendry saying he is not bothered no pressure and so on. And able to switch it back on when he wants to play after a hiatus.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

^^ I think the difference between Ronnie and Hendry is that Ronnie get's annoyed with himself for not being a perfectionist in terms of his skill on the table but Hendry was more a perfectionist in terms of winning alone. Once Hendry started to loose more regularly he fell apart altogether whereas if Ronnie plays up to his skill level on the table he's right back in it as good as he ever was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

But the bit that shocked me was Ronnie went 9 months without hitting a ball.
    Not even an exhibition. @0.35

I think he's referring there to the 2012-13 season when he didn't play apart from the World Championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Invidious wrote: »
    I think he's referring there to the 2012-13 season when he didn't play apart from the World Championship.

Exactly it's mad makes it his best win by far. Incredible he was able to do that.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

Exactly it's mad makes it his best win by far. Incredible he was able to do that.

He was working intensively with Steve Peters at that time too. Agreed, an amazing achievement. I have never seen him play better or more consistently than he did in the 2013 World Championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

He's just so naturally talented, his ability to just go up in gear is incredible.

He turns the class on and off like a light switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭paddyref

Ronnie beaten 5-4 tonight by 18yr old Cork lad Aaron Hill in European open. Great safety game by Hill and took his chances well. Roared into a 3-1 lead , Ronnie took next 3 in a row but under huge pressure Hill stuck in there to get the last 2 with a 78 break in the last frame. Up Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,933 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

paddyref wrote: »
    Ronnie beaten 5-4 tonight by 18yr old Cork lad Aaron Hill in European open. Great safety game by Hill and took his chances well. Roared into a 3-1 lead , Ronnie took next 3 in a row but under huge pressure Hill stuck in there to get the last 2 with a 78 break in the last frame. Up Cork.

Great result He plays Matthew Stevens next (I think).

There's a thread about the European masters tournament

Advertisement