Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International cricket thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭MFPM

Huge six for Maxwell off Curran..146/5.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,694 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Just got a bit ragged from England in the last 10 minutes from the bowlers aside from Rachid. Opened the door a bit. Pace men too straight up into in the slot. Good hitting from Australia but why make it easy for them.

Maxwell brings up his 50 with a massive 6 off Rashid...Nice to see some fight from Australia...

Rashid struggling here. Required run rate is about 7.6 an over...

Surprised England are persisting with Rashid...Maxwell has smacked him for another huge 6.

• Advertisement

87 from 66...This is good stuff. If England can't break this partnership they should be fine but if these two can get Australia a bit closer then they might just do it.

8.5 per over needed. Neck and neck!

Well played Glenn Maxwell, hits a big 6 to bring up his 100 of just 84 balls. 35 from 27 needed.

Carey hits Woakes for 6 off first ball of the over then follows with a single to get his 100...Australia's to lose now.

According to the BBC the partnership is now the highest for the sixth wicket in the second innings of an ODI by any team.

Maxwell to edges Rashid and is out...18 off 15..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Won't see a better catch than that.

10 needed off the last over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Gillespy wrote: »
    Won't see a better catch than that.

10 needed off the last over.

Looked like it hit the ground from the camera angle behind wood

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

What a hit

Curran should have bowled this over.

2 from 3, this is tense.

Unbelievable from 73-5, Some partnership from the two centurions

What a game. Fair play to Australia, I really didn't see it happening particularly when they were 73/5 and the way they've performed to date. Fantastic knocks by Maxwell and Carey. England bowlers struggled as the game went on only Woakes seemed to be at it though Root's wickets were important. Archer was very expensive as was Rashid, great knock by Bairstow. Surprising choice to have Rashid in the last over, I can understand the logic but given the game Rashid had it was a high risk.

Dumb giving the last over to Rashid. Morgan chasing more praise for his gambling style of captaincy. Curran has proven himself in bowling the last over, 10 runs run was plenty with two new batsmen.

Australia did well to win that. I gave them no chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I was surprised Carey started tbh but he did a fantastic job tonight. Maxi was a brilliant. Its always good to see him in top form. Great game of cricket

Gillespy wrote: »
    Curran should have bowled this over.

Completely, that’s a huge head scratcher from Morgan... that to me is boneheaded, throwing the game away. Rachid by far the most expensive bowler, a spinner gone for over 9 an over, given the last over, Aussie batsmen must have creamed themselves.

If the Aussies were 9 down and England had a lead of 17 you’d say fair enough... maybe some logic.... but clearly the two Aussie batsmen ok lower order had the range to hit boundaries, Morgan should have been aware, needed to have done his homework . People might say I’m criticizing a World Cup winning captain, a fine cricketer and they are right on both counts but that’s pure shîte captaincy I’m sorry..astoundingly bad. Archer, Wood and Curran had overs left... bowling Rachid, come on Eoin !

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    Completely, that’s a huge head scratcher from Morgan... that to me is boneheaded, throwing the game away. Rachid by far the most expensive bowler, a spinner gone for over 9 an over, given the last over, Aussie batsmen must have creamed themselves.

If the Aussies were 9 down and England had a lead of 17 you’d say fair enough... maybe some logic.... but clearly the two Aussie batsmen ok lower order had the range to hit boundaries, Morgan should have been aware, needed to have done his homework . People might say I’m criticizing a World Cup winning captain, a fine cricketer and they are right on both counts but that’s pure shîte captaincy I’m sorry..astoundingly bad. Archer, Wood and Curran had overs left... bowling Rachid, come on Eoin !

I agree but the logic is, I think that Rashid bowls well against tail enders but in the form he was today it was a huge risk and it didn't pay off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,936 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

What is England's fascination with Adil Rashid, I don't get it.

MFPM wrote: »
    I agree but the logic is, I think that Rashid bowls well against tail enders but in the form he was today it was a huge risk and it didn't pay off.

Yep. The opposition needing 10 from the last over and you play a spinner who has gone for almost 10 an over. That’s just bad captaincy. You don’t ‘risk’ in the last over. Wood from 9 overs has an economy rate 4.4 runs an over, bowling at times up around 94 ... gun barrel straight toe bruisers... perfect ! Or ermmmm a spinner, not having the best of games, costing his team over twice the number of runs as Wood.... fûck me, boneheaded.

Starc is such a clean hitter, seen it for years in all cricket, he clears the rope with ease especially off the spinner. Australia had the right man in for the last over to play Rashid. It was an odd choice of bowler but he should be given credit too.

Anybody watching the South Africa vs England T20 ?

Great start by South Africa... boundaries a plenty including sixes...

English bowling seriously indifferent.

SA take 50 runs off 5 overs.

Strumms wrote: »
    Anybody watching the South Africa vs England T20 ?

Great start by South Africa... boundaries a plenty including sixes...

English bowling seriously indifferent.

SA take 50 runs off 5 overs.

Just finished on 179/6. Good score, but T20 slogging should be a separate sport. Cricket is completely different to T20.

Just finished on 179/6. Good score, but T20 slogging should be a separate sport. Cricket is completely different to T20.

Less enjoyable for me personally when compared to test and the 50 over game but it has its place... a bit more nuanced then pure slogging but hey...

Just nice to have a bit of live sports available to enjoy.

South Africa were cruising but absolutely brilliant batting by the English, Stokes in particular and SA completely loosing their heads has England hot favorites now.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Wouldn't quite say Stokes was the "most brilliant" batter today!

• Advertisement

Jonny Bairstow, what a player. Dropped by SRH, dropped down the order by England, it just fires him up.

Good game by Sam Curran again. Brother Tom had a rough day. South Africa did a lot better than the experts predicted.

I only got the second half of the Australia India game. Nice to see crowds back. India well short. Could be a long tour for them there this time

Advertisement