Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Principal Officer competition 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭hardybuck

No candidate information booklet or advertising date is a little odd?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Bowiegal

hardybuck wrote: »
    No candidate information booklet or advertising date is a little odd?

Application form is available to download

• Registered Users Posts: 13 GBCS

Is there a 500 word limit to ALL questions or just the supplementary information one? Unclear!

No information on the process either- odd!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭myk

Any indication on whether this competition includes the Diplomatic Stream in DFAT and Higher Principal Officers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Maybenever

Noting the thread.

Seems different from the last time? No regions? All a bit unclear at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭myk

myk wrote: »
    Any indication on whether this competition includes the Diplomatic Stream in DFAT and Higher Principal Officers?

I've looked at both application forms. In 2017 it referred to Principal Officers and Counselors in DFAT. In the application form for this competition is only refers to Principal Officers. So I assume the DFAT Diplomatic Stream is excluded from this competition.

• myk wrote: »

Just heard about this and will be applying... first time applicant to the CS. :eek:

From what I've read the top 60 applicants from this application and existing CS can apply for the Higher Principal Officers.

Then again, I don't know the difference between a PO and HPO :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

From what I've read the top 60 applicants from this application and existing CS can apply for the Higher Principal Officers.

Yes top 60 and existing Principal Officers can apply in due course for PO Higher, it was the same last time

It is an odd criteria but still in place ( as you need a year as PO to apply but can apply if in top 60)

PO Higher generally get assigned to Departments of Finance, Public Expenditure or Taoiseach

• Riskymove wrote: »

PO Higher generally get assigned to Departments of Finance, Public Expenditure or Taoiseach

Thanks, but aren't they on the same payscale, is it just the kudos of working in the premier departments?

And finally, do we know how far down the panel they went last time in filling positions (will save me from reading the other thread :) )

• Advertisement

Thanks, but aren't they on the same payscale, is it just the kudos of working in the premier departments?

And finally, do we know how far down the panel they went last time in filling positions (will save me from reading the other thread :) )

No, different payscales.

I think they went to 40 or 50 in the non higher scale panel last time, and had a panel of 10-12 on the higher scale, over a two year timeframe.

• hardybuck wrote: »

I think they went to 40 or 50 in the non higher scale panel last time, and had a panel of 10-12 on the higher scale, over a two year timeframe.

Very interesting - thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Kagi

myk wrote: »
    I've looked at both application forms. In 2017 it referred to Principal Officers and Counselors in DFAT. In the application form for this competition is only refers to Principal Officers. So I assume the DFAT Diplomatic Stream is excluded from this competition.

Yes, no reference to DFAT in this competition. It might be worth asking PAS for clarification though.

hardybuck wrote: »
    I think they went to 40 or 50 in the non higher scale panel last time, .

40 or 50 were placed but they went down to 70s or 80s on the panel to get to them

there are many still on the panel who are waiting for regional locations

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Irishder

Applied for this myself. First time applying for a public job. My background is manufacturing and lean so not sure if my skills are transferable.

Have a bachelors in Electronic Engineering, a HDIP in Business Management and a Masters in Business.

Would these kind of qualifications and experience count for much?

• Anybody any ideas how many externals made it through to the HPO level from an external application.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Maybenever

Irishder wrote: »
    Applied for this myself. First time applying for a public job. My background is manufacturing and lean so not sure if my skills are transferable.

Have a bachelors in Electronic Engineering, a HDIP in Business Management and a Masters in Business.

I would say yes generally, but it all depends on specifics of course and how you present them. How much you know about the CS will factor, I got quizzed on it last time out.

The lean stuff could be spun, my own view is that PM skills are somewhat lacking (of course it will depend on the individual). You'll have to get your thinking hat on as to how you present it in the context of the CS functions.

As for the Q above on externals, I think 8 in total went on the general panel. No idea what happened with the HPO.

• Maybenever wrote: »
    I think 8 in total went on the general panel.

8 out of 160(ish) (5%) :eek:

9% of the successful applicants were private sector

but apparently there was a very low application rate also

there were only 12 people put on the PO1 panel so I wouldn't imagine too many were external

Aside from some technical roles, I think PO is a difficult level to join the organisation at.

Perhaps someone who has been in an NGO, or someone like IBEC that's lobbying Government, might find it easier.

Revenue is another that doesn't have a Minister and isn't embroiled in political matters to the same extent.

Otherwise you're very likely to be embroiled in Ministerial interaction and in and out of the Sec Gen's office like a yo-yo.

• Advertisement

• hardybuck wrote: »
    Aside from some technical roles, I think PO is a difficult level to join the organisation at.

Perhaps someone who has been in an NGO, or someone like IBEC that's lobbying Government, might find it easier.

Revenue is another that doesn't have a Minister and isn't embroiled in political matters to the same extent.

Otherwise you're very likely to be embroiled in Ministerial interaction and in and out of the Sec Gen's office like a yo-yo.

It's okay, I'm covered. I've see a few episodes of 'Yes Minister'. :)

It's okay, I'm covered. I've see a few episodes of 'Yes Minister'. :)

Eh, yeah - you should be fine...you could mention that at interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭William72

I notice that there's no regional preference section in the application form. Is this unusual? (this is my first PO application). Also what is the implication of that for those with a preference for a regional (i.e. non-Dublin) post? If you're offered a Dublin based post from your place in the panel and turn it down - is that it - you're done? Thanks in advance.

Does anyone know the selection process for this competition? Ie will it follow and standard steps including online tests to sift?

GBCS wrote: »
    Does anyone know the selection process for this competition? Ie will it follow and standard steps including online tests to sift?

the process is set out in the booklet attached to the ad

William72 wrote: »
    I notice that there's no regional preference section in the application form. Is this unusual? (this is my first PO application). Also what is the implication of that for those with a preference for a regional (i.e. non-Dublin) post? If you're offered a Dublin based post from your place in the panel and turn it down - is that it - you're done? Thanks in advance.

The booklet says most jobs are expected to be in Dublin. That and the fact that people remain on the existing panel for regions would imply that there is very little scope for regional jobs from this panel

I would imagine if you take a job in Dublin then you are off the panel

Riskymove wrote: »
    the process is set out in the booklet attached to the ad

Thanks- when the competition was first posted there was no information booklet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Can’t POs be assigned/reassigned anywhere?

Addle wrote: »
    Can’t POs be assigned/reassigned anywhere?

All Civil Servants can be redeployed at the Minister's discretion, within certain geographical limits - which I think is a 45km radius.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

Irishder wrote: »

Lean / Business Management / Business Analyst skills are very relevant. Automation / process efficiencies are high in priority under OPS2020 as Government look to remove large numbers in data entry roles and remove wasteful processes through RPA etc.

Anyone got the three competency questions handy? I’m AP I doubt I will stand a chance as each of the questions require ‘significant experience’ from what I remember but I’m not long in the role.

Advertisement