Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NAS student paramedic recruitment 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

New applications being taken now for a new panel of student paramedics, quick question do you get paid while training?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭sjb25

shamrock55 wrote: »
    New applications being taken now for a new panel of student paramedics, quick question do you get paid while training?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

sjb25 wrote: »
    Yes

How much?

Why if they created a panel in April would they be doing it again now,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭sjb25

shamrock55 wrote: »
    How much?

Why if they created a panel in April would they be doing it again now,

€27992 per year see screenshot attached if you google the recruitment and download the documents all the info is there about pay etc
    obviously either gone through last panel or not enough last time

• Registered Users Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭flazio

This comes up a few times in these types of threads so I'll just advise you all.
    If at any stage you are given a number of merit on any panel, be very careful sharing that here on boards. This number is unique to you and therefore should a member of the NAS recruitment team see this, they then have a means of identifying you and anything you say here on boards.
    e.g. "I got number 6 on the panel. I'm surprised they bought my teamwork story because it was a load of trollop but I must have kept an honest face :cool: "

Oh really? Lets see, Number 6 is Daithi Kelly, well, he certainly won't be getting a call up anytime soon.
    *disclaimer* the name and situation above is fiction and any resemblance to a real Mr Kelly is coincidental and unintended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

flazio wrote: »
    This comes up a few times in these types of threads so I'll just advise you all.
    If at any stage you are given a number of merit on any panel, be very careful sharing that here on boards. This number is unique to you and therefore should a member of the NAS recruitment team see this, they then have a means of identifying you and anything you say here on boards.
    e.g. "I got number 6 on the panel. I'm surprised they bought my teamwork story because it was a load of trollop but I must have kept an honest face :cool: "

Oh really? Lets see, Number 6 is Daithi Kelly, well, he certainly won't be getting a call up anytime soon.

Disqualified with no verifiable evidence, from a national panel? You're day dreaming I'm afraid. This would be a legal minefield for NAS - which they are all too familiar of.

e.g. I got number 2 on the panel and I lied about everything to get to the point I'm at. Does this disqualify person 2 on the panel? :rolleyes:

Maybe, maybe not, But it does give them, and anyone else you may have bragged to, a better idea who to watch out for. Better to be safe then sorry and not reveal personal identifying information on boards. Sounds like common sense but it's not always that common.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Swimtech

Hopefully going to be starting in Tallaght in Jan 2020. Can anyone give any advice regards accomodation, I've been in contact with the maldron but nothing booked.

Would like to know what others are considering.
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 46 tommyharper

Can someone answer a question for me please. I did an interview for the supplementary ICO panel and got placed 14. I have an interview on Tuesday for the supplementary student Paramedic role.
    I currently work with Galway City Council. Would you take an ICO role and if I qualify for the paramedics, do you just leave ICO. OR Should I just wait for a place with the paramedics and stay in my current role until then.
    Also, how do I find out how many people are on the existing panels.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭LRNM

Can someone answer a question for me please. I did an interview for the supplementary ICO panel and got placed 14. I have an interview on Tuesday for the supplementary student Paramedic role.
    I currently work with Galway City Council. Would you take an ICO role and if I qualify for the paramedics, do you just leave ICO. OR Should I just wait for a place with the paramedics and stay in my current role until then.
    Also, how do I find out how many people are on the existing panels.
    Thanks

You can ring email apply support or ring HBS and ask them how many people are on the existing panel.

Also, it's really up to yourself if you want to take the ICO role. You'll have to weigh up your number on the new paramedic panel you interviewed for and make a guesstimate as to how long you'll be waiting.

If you get called up to the next ICO class I'd go for it. Your training will be done and you'll be on the road in 6 weeks from when you start so if you're far down the paramedic panel it might be no harm to get the ICO experience.

But you have to consider the time spent in ballinaslow and tallaght as well as the expenses alongside it.

Plenty of ICO's have got into the job and spent only a few months before going off to paramedics.

You'll also have to weigh up if the ICO pay is worth it compared to your council job, and the likelihood of getting into your nearest ICO station.

Tough one to decide on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Skorpion

I'm just wondering how hard is interview and how hard is get in a panel??

Skorpion wrote: »
    I'm just wondering how hard is interview and how hard is get in a panel??

Interview takes a lot of prep work and you need to brush up on knowing the ins and outs of NAS and how it runs, and the HSE. It can be hard and they grill you a bit but if you do your homework you'll be okay.

It's competency based.

First you'll be asked to talk about yourself and your career and interests to date.
    Then you'll be asked various questions like, why do you want to be a paramedic, what concerns do you have, what do you know about the course, can you tell me about how the service is structured, and possible many more questions.

Then you'll be asked to talk about a time you worked well as a team.
    Then, asked to talk about a time you displayed problem solving and decision making.
    Finally, talk about a time you coped under pressure.
    You have to write a page of each in the application form anyway so this will prep you. You may use the ones you have written, or a different one.
    Its all about YOU. Talk about how YOU did, and what YOU did.

You will be asked various questions during your story telling. Why did you do that? How did you feel during it? Would you do anything different? etc

Then you'll finish up. It takes about 30 minutes.
    In each competancy you'll be scored. Pass mark in 40% for each of the 4 sections.
    If you know your stuff, are confident and can talk the talk and sell yourself you will be fine. Even if you score poorly you can still get on the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Skorpion

LRNM wrote: »
    Interview takes a lot of prep work and you need to brush up on knowing the ins and outs of NAS and how it runs, and the HSE. It can be hard and they grill you a bit but if you do your homework you'll be okay.

It's competency based.

First you'll be asked to talk about yourself and your career and interests to date.
    Then you'll be asked various questions like, why do you want to be a paramedic, what concerns do you have, what do you know about the course, can you tell me about how the service is structured, and possible many more questions.

Then you'll be asked to talk about a time you worked well as a team.
    Then, asked to talk about a time you displayed problem solving and decision making.
    Finally, talk about a time you coped under pressure.
    You have to write a page of each in the application form anyway so this will prep you. You may use the ones you have written, or a different one.
    Its all about YOU. Talk about how YOU did, and what YOU did.

You will be asked various questions during your story telling. Why did you do that? How did you feel during it? Would you do anything different? etc

Then you'll finish up. It takes about 30 minutes.
    In each competancy you'll be scored. Pass mark in 40% for each of the 4 sections.
    If you know your stuff, are confident and can talk the talk and sell yourself you will be fine. Even if you score poorly you can still get on the panel.
    Thanks for your reply, it seems to very hard set in, and I Think ambulans experience are necessary. I have over 2 years healthcare experience, I think is not enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Breffni1997

Does anyone know how many people are left on the current live national panal for student paramedic ? My panal is due to go live 20th of December and just want to get an idea of a rough possible start date. Im 21 on the panal.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 movers&shakers

Skorpion wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply, it seems to very hard set in, and I Think ambulans experience are necessary. I have over 2 years healthcare experience, I think is not enough.

I disagree,
    you don’t need any experience whatsoever,
    they prefer to train from a blank canvas.

Have two examples set for each of the competencies & be sure that they are demonstrating the skills that they want to hear about e.g. teamwork etc.

Have a good knowledge of the HSE, the training, the NAS structure, rosters, based etc & visit an ambulance station & take notes of what you see.

Get on top of that and you’ll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 movers&shakers

Does anyone know how many people are left on the current live national panal for student paramedic ? My panal is due to go live 20th of December and just want to get an idea of a rough possible start date. Im 21 on the panal.

I wasn’t particularly high on the panel,
    started 6mths after interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 tommyharper

Well done, I have the same question. We might end up training together, I placed 23rd.

As far as I know, none left on the last panel from may 2019.

They are on the hunt again.
    Closing date for applications is the 18th of February.
    https://www.hse.ie/eng/staff/jobs/job-search/patient-and-client-care/hbs08506-student-paramedic.html

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Jimmy113

They are on the hunt again.
    Closing date for applications is the 18th of February.
    https://www.hse.ie/eng/staff/jobs/job-search/patient-and-client-care/hbs08506-student-paramedic.html

Am I right in saying you clear €840 every two weeks while training? How long is training and what does it go up by after training?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭chicgroovy101

Is the Leaving Cert requirement a must? Will they entertain an application without it? Have worked in a different area of the emergency services for 10 years so have relevant experience.

Is the Leaving Cert requirement a must? Will they entertain an application without it? Have worked in a different area of the emergency services for 10 years so have relevant experience.
    The experience they consider relevant is two years with an Emergency Medical Technician qualification. It's that or the Leaving Cert (or equivalent from another country)

The experience they consider relevant is two years with an Emergency Medical Technician qualification. It's that or the Leaving Cert (or equivalent from another country)

It's all there on the job spec/application form, you'll need to read that.
    A leaving cert
    OR
    A level 5 QQI/FETAC in either, nursing studies, food science, laboratory techniques, community health studies, or healthcare support. You must have obtained at least 4 distinctions.
    OR
    A relevant qualification above level 5. i.e a degree.
    OR
    2 years full time experience as an EMT. Voluntary and part time work does not count.

Can anyone shed any light on the overtime/**** allowances? I know the annual wage is starting at €27,900 but what can you expect to earn on top of this from overtime and allowances? I have a family and mortgage and would be more than willing to take on this role and take a hit in my salary. However I see it called out in documents that “this is before allowances” but I can’t see the actual amounts anywhere. Just need to be sure here as at the end of the day as much as I’d love the job I still need to be able to pay bills!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Parapara2017

Jimmy113 wrote: »
    Can anyone shed any light on the overtime/**** allowances? I know the annual wage is starting at €27,900 but what can you expect to earn on top of this from overtime and allowances? I have a family and mortgage and would be more than willing to take on this role and take a hit in my salary. However I see it called out in documents that “this is before allowances” but I can’t see the actual amounts anywhere. Just need to be sure here as at the end of the day as much as I’d love the job I still need to be able to pay bills!

Fortnightly pay in college is around 860 for 12 weeks. Then you get an additional 460 (or so) tax free while out on placements 8 week block then a 12 week block.

All in all its around 5-6k tax free added on. While ok placements you'd also get weekend allowances.

Ironically your first year in the job is probably your most profitable.

Once working as an intern after a year your fortnightly pay is roughly 1100 or so before overtime / subs etc.

11/1200 would probably be your average. So around 31k a year. With overtime can get that higher depending how much you do can get up to 1800/2k a fortnight. More realistic to be looking at 17/1800 though.

Fortnightly pay in college is around 860 for 12 weeks. Then you get an additional 460 (or so) tax free while out on placements 8 week block then a 12 week block.

All in all its around 5-6k tax free added on. While ok placements you'd also get weekend allowances.

Ironically your first year in the job is probably your most profitable.

Once working as an intern after a year your fortnightly pay is roughly 1100 or so before overtime / subs etc.

11/1200 would probably be your average. So around 31k a year. With overtime can get that higher depending how much you do can get up to 1800/2k a fortnight. More realistic to be looking at 17/1800 though.

I’m assuming the higher end is before tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Parapara2017

Jimmy113 wrote: »
    I’m assuming the higher end is before tax?

No they're all rough net figures. Your gross is a lot higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 HollyT1951

Hiya Guys,
    Im wondering if anyone on here could offer me some solid advice regarding the inter-relations and verbal reasoning test.
    I got through to test stage in sept 2019 campaign but didn't make it through past test stage
    Since the offer has opened again I am applying on this Jan 2020 campaign. Last campaign I bought the online course from career services , while I found this brilliant and would have had no clue without it, I would be grateful if anyone could offer me some more support than this for this coming round ( due to take place march 2020)
    I am confident in my application it is strong and am also confident in my interview abilities, unfortunately this test wouldn't be my strong point and is clearly where i am falling down in the process , I would love to be able to be more prepared and to know I stand a chance this time .
    Any courses, online help or just some advice would be really appreciated
    Thanks a mil

HollyT1951 wrote: »
    Hiya Guys,
    Im wondering if anyone on here could offer me some solid advice regarding the inter-relations and verbal reasoning test.
    I got through to test stage in sept 2019 campaign but didn't make it through past test stage
    Since the offer has opened again I am applying on this Jan 2020 campaign. Last campaign I bought the online course from career services , while I found this brilliant and would have had no clue without it, I would be grateful if anyone could offer me some more support than this for this coming round ( due to take place march 2020)
    I am confident in my application it is strong and am also confident in my interview abilities, unfortunately this test wouldn't be my strong point and is clearly where i am falling down in the process , I would love to be able to be more prepared and to know I stand a chance this time .
    Any courses, online help or just some advice would be really appreciated
    Thanks a mil

I’ve also applied for this round. Haven’t done many aptitude tests before and to be honest I’m not a fan of them! I believe this test will be a verbal reasoning one with analytical reasoning included. Was this the same format as before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Helen00

LRNM wrote: »
    As far as I know, none left on the last panel from may 2019.

I'm still waiting from May '19. 74 on the panel, didn't get in on last expression of interest.

Advertisement