Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tips on applying as a Mature Student

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭d.anthony

Larianne wrote: »
    I'm not 100% sure if you can update your online application. I know you can change your choices up until 1st Feb. Maybe log on and check your application and see if it can be done.

Failing that I would contact the CAO and ask can your application be amended.

Yeah, you can update your details on the CAO website.

I've updated it now, would you mind having another wee look and tell me what you think? Sorry to keep bothering you!
    For the past 7 years I have been working in retail and I feel the time has come for me to better myself by going to college. It's something I have been thinking of doing for a while now and I am finally in a position to apply. I have enjoyed working in the retail industry but I feel it doesn't challenge me or give me the job satisfaction I crave. I want to go to college to study something I love doing and make a career out of it.

The thing I love doing is working with computers, since my early teens I have been fascinated with the inner and outer workings of them and have become very skilled at using them. I would love a qualification that reflects that.

The number one course I have applied for is Graphic design. It's a subject I studied at secondary school and one I hugely enjoyed and feel I excelled in, so I already have knowledge of the course and I feel I would fit in very well if given the chance.

After the course, I see myself in a job I love doing and I'm determined to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Luellen08

Hi Larianne, Your info on CAO is fab, thanks for taking the time to post such detailed info! Quick Q - I am filling in my app now online and the Personal Statement Section is that the section called "Relevance of your life / educational experience to your application and your educational goals & objectives"? Or is there another section with heading Personal Statement?
    I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything, Thanks a mill:)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

d.anthony wrote: »
    Yeah, you can update your details on the CAO website.

I've updated it now, would you mind having another wee look and tell me what you think? Sorry to keep bothering you!
    For the past 7 years I have been working in retail and I feel the time has come for me to better myself by going to college. It's something I have been thinking of doing for a while now and I am finally in a position to apply. I have enjoyed working in the retail industry but I feel it doesn't challenge me or give me the job satisfaction I crave. I want to go to college to study something I love doing and make a career out of it.

The thing I love doing is working with computers, since my early teens I have been fascinated with the inner and outer workings of them and have become very skilled at using them. I would love a qualification that reflects that. Where would you want to go with your qualification?

The number one course I have applied for is Graphic design. Do not say this as every college will see your application.It's a subject I studied at secondary school and one I hugely enjoyed and feel I excelled in, so I already have knowledge of the course and I feel I would fit in very well if given the chance.This is a creative course. Are you creative, do you have creative hobbies. It is also a career where you use computer design programmes. You could mention this as well.

After the course, I see myself in a job I love doing and I'm determined to do it.

I've added a few pointers. You don't say particularly what skills you have that would help on the course or any hobbies/outside interests, experience you have that would help. I'd play up the creative side on your application. I know its hard when you are applying for more than one course and you need to balance it out.

Have a look at thestudentroom.com and studential.com for more examples of personal statements. They should be able to give you an idea.

Luellen08 wrote: »
    Hi Larianne, Your info on CAO is fab, thanks for taking the time to post such detailed info! Quick Q - I am filling in my app now online and the Personal Statement Section is that the section called "Relevance of your life / educational experience to your application and your educational goals & objectives"? Or is there another section with heading Personal Statement?
    I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything, Thanks a mill:)

No, this is where I slotted in my personal statement. The online application only allows you to use a certain number of characters so I sent my PS (which was just over 2 pages) in postal documents and made note in the section to - See Postal Documents. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Luellen08

Thanks for that. much appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭d.anthony

Thanks very much for all the advice Larianne! Fingers crossed now... I'm desperate to get in...

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Dutch_Druid

Hi Larianne, thanks for the great guide, have most things sorted out already but your guide helped me out. I've a couple of questions though...
    I'm applying online (sending it off Sunday morning), and there is no section for the CV, only the Personal Statement. I've sorted the personal statement, but since there was no section provided for the CV, I was wondering how much you would recommend sending one in.
    And also, there is a section asking for "Final Secondary Qualifications Awarded: Junior Cert, Leaving Cert (pre-1985 only), GCE, etc." I presume that I just leave that clear? Did my Leaving Cert in 2005. Applying to UCC for a BSc in Physics, no other application forms required other than the CAO application. Left everything a bit close to the hilt, but I work better under pressure ;)
    Thanks for all the advice,
    Dutch

Hi Dutch Druid,

I can't remember what way the on-line form is laid out but on page 12 of the CAO handbook it has a few headings regaring applying as a mature student:
    1. Begin by explaining the relevance of your
    life/educational experience to your application and
    state your educational goals and objectives.
    2. Final secondary level qualification awarded,
    e.g. Junior Certificate,
    Leaving Certificate (pre-1985 only);
    GC(S)E, etc., and the dates awarded.

goes on..
    6. Employment.
    Show Job Title, name and address of company or
    organisation, dates, duties and responsibilities.

etc.

So to cover these areas as well as hobbies/interests etc. I wrote out a CV and sent it on the post. I think its a good idea as it gives the college a quick way of seeing every thing you have done previously without going into too much details. Keep it short. Two pages max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ucdgal1

Hi Larianne,

I am currently completing my personal statement for UCD Arts submission to CAO.
    Do you know if I am supposed to write it on the form supplied by UCD or attach it?

Many thanks in anticipation.:confused:

ucdgal1 wrote: »
    Hi Larianne,

I am currently completing my personal statement for UCD Arts submission to CAO.
    Do you know if I am supposed to write it on the form supplied by UCD or attach it?

Many thanks in anticipation.:confused:

If you can fit it all onto the form for UCD then submit it that way or if not you can attach it separately, stating it is your personal statement and write your name and CAO number also on it.

• Advertisement

Thanks so much Larianne, I know this probably sounds silly but should I do the same with the CAO Form page 4 part B?

Hi Larianne,

Apologies, but if I apply lnline do I need to submit any part of the CAO form or do I simply send in everything on extra sheets with my CAO number and name on them?

Thanks again ucdgal1.

Thanks so much Larianne, I know this probably sounds silly but should I do the same with the CAO Form page 4 part B?

Yes.
    Hi Larianne,

Apologies, but if I apply lnline do I need to submit any part of the CAO form or do I simply send in everything on extra sheets with my CAO number and name on them?

Thanks again ucdgal1.

Anything that you cannot fit in the sections on-line send in as supplemental documents. Mark your name, CAO number and what part the document corresponds to the application.

Everything on the on-line form should correspond with the paper format of the form. (Although the on-line one is slightly different).

Great, thank you so much Larianne, I really appreciate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 tropics

Hi Larianne,

Just wanted to say a big thank you for all the tips you posted.

I finished my applications last week. It was pretty hectic trying to get everything sorted.

Reading your tips helped in a big way.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭macskanadrag

Same here, thanks Larianne and John and louloubella, for the help, tips and ideas! I have no idea how I would have managed without ye ;)
    Now fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭partay pooper

Thanks again Larianne for all your help on this Thread.

Best of Luck to everyone & Fingers crossed I get my place as well.

Partay Pooper

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Gipo3

I just have one question, do leaving cert results and points come into play if your a mature applicant?

Gipo3 wrote: »
    I just have one question, do leaving cert results and points come into play if your a mature applicant?

They don't use the point system at all with Mature Entry but some courses require certain subjects/grades even as a Mature student entry. For example, I applied to UCC Pharmacy and you need LC Chemistry, even as a mature student.

The requirements required for the course should be stated in the prospectus/mature student handbook from the college/uni.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Dutch_Druid

Just want to say thanks for your advice and tips, now playing the waiting game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 RoseDeBu

Hi,

thanks Larianne and all the others for compiling all the great tips! I was just wondering as I haven't really found an answer to this yet, around what time would I usually get an invitation for an interview? I'm aware that the interviews will start being held around late-March, but how soon in advance do you get the invitation? I applied to TCD and UCD btw.

Many thanks,

RoseDeBu

• Registered Users Posts: 2 liquid_pebble

Hi, I am looking for suggestions as to what to include in my personal statement for the B.Ed in Primary Teaching.Has anyone any examples or tips from successful applications? Any information would be greatly appreciated.:)

Larianne your tips so far have been excellent.:D

RoseDeBu wrote: »
    Hi,

thanks Larianne and all the others for compiling all the great tips! I was just wondering as I haven't really found an answer to this yet, around what time would I usually get an invitation for an interview? I'm aware that the interviews will start being held around late-March, but how soon in advance do you get the invitation? I applied to TCD and UCD btw.

Many thanks,

RoseDeBu

I got just under 2 weeks notice about an interview for TCD, which was at the start of April. UCD didn't hold interviews for the course I applied to. I just got a letter of acceptance from them sometime in late April.

In general, I don't think you get much more notice than 2 weeks. Not great if you're half way across the world in Malaysia! :)
    Hi, I am looking for suggestions as to what to include in my personal statement for the B.Ed in Primary Teaching.Has anyone any examples or tips from successful applications? Any information would be greatly appreciated.:)

studential.com and the studentroom.co.uk both have examples of personal statements. Both are UK sites but the samples are excellent and there is also a section in the studentroom where you can submit your PS and someone will give you tips on how to improve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

PM sent, hope I can help:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 JemTruly

Hi Larianne,

Thanks for all the advice!! I've applied to the English Department in Trinity. I know the interviews are from mid March to end of April and I'm getting really anxious as I have yet to hear anything from them as regards to interviews.

Do you think it would be okay for me to telephone the department and ask if they have received my application and when I might expect to hear about interviews? Would that be too cheeky?...I'm starting to go a bit mad with the waiting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Bobby42

I was really anxious last year about my interview for trinity.'I sent my application in but then didn't hear anything back for weeks. I got a phonecall from the sociology dept at around three one afternoon asking could I come in for an interview at nine the next morning! They asked me had I heard anything about my application, when i said no they said they were really sorry about that. So if you haven't heard anything maybe give them a call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 JemTruly

Bobby42 wrote: »
    I was really anxious last year about my interview for trinity.'I sent my application in but then didn't hear anything back for weeks. I got a phonecall from the sociology dept at around three one afternoon asking could I come in for an interview at nine the next morning! They asked me had I heard anything about my application, when i said no they said they were really sorry about that. So if you haven't heard anything maybe give them a call.

Thanks! I'm going to give them a call this afternoon...if nothing else at least I'll be able to relax a bit!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Aonie

Hi all!

First of all i wanted to thank Larianne for all the brilliant help she provided :)

And now to mu question:confused:. Did maybe any of ye apply to TCD for dental science or dental hygiene? If so, did u get a reply form them yet/ and interview invitation?

Would really apriciate any info!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Ashiya

Aonie wrote: »
    Hi all!

First of all i wanted to thank Larianne for all the brilliant help she provided :)

And now to mu question:confused:. Did maybe any of ye apply to TCD for dental science or dental hygiene? If so, did u get a reply form them yet/ and interview invitation?

Would really apriciate any info!
    I applied as well, but no word yet. I think they haven't sent out the letters yet!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Aonie

Ashiya wrote: »
    I applied as well, but no word yet. I think they haven't sent out the letters yet!
    What a huge relief :D I only got the guestionnaire for dental hygiene and am sending it back today... another lovely possibility to explain why this course and what i love so much about it ;)
    did u apply to dentistry or some other course in tcd?

cheers :)

Advertisement