Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-10-2019, 13:30   #1
thebourke

Send a message via Skype™ to thebourke
recycle old clothes,shoes and duvets

i have old duverts,sheets,clothes,shoes that need to be thrown out...they are not suitable for wear....does anybody know can be they recycled etc...any part of dublin
Advertisement
23-10-2019, 01:32   #2
two wheels good

"Some textiles are not suitable for re-use or recycling such as those that are heavily soiled or worn, these should be disposed of in a clothes bank where they will be sent for shredding and used, for instance, as furniture stuffing."
Link

But which clothing bank? Seems unfair to lumber the charity with the chore of diverting the "waste" clothing.
23-10-2019, 01:37   #3
sugarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by two wheels good View Post
"Some textiles are not suitable for re-use or recycling such as those that are heavily soiled or worn, these should be disposed of in a clothes bank where they will be sent for shredding and used, for instance, as furniture stuffing."
Link

But which clothing bank? Seems unfair to lumber the charity with the chore of diverting the "waste" clothing.
Scroll down to the "where" section and input your location. It'll show you where your nearest clothes bank is. They're all operated by the one company.
Thanks from:
24-10-2019, 09:46   #4
two wheels good

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarman View Post
Scroll down to the "where" section and input your location. It'll show you where your nearest clothes bank is. They're all operated by the one company.
I don't think they are all operated by one company - based on my limited knowledge of VdeP. In any case I'd still feel uncomfortable dumping my useless clothing on a charity unless I knew they were willing to accept it.
OP it may be worth contacting a charity before using their clothes bank.
27-10-2019, 21:35   #5
Jellybaby1

Quote:
Link

I am very interested in recycling old textiles and checked that site. I entered my area and found I had 48 bring centres which was great, however not one of them accepted textiles. They all just accepted cans and glass. The waste services locator on the site only allows filtering via centre i.e. Bringbank, Civic Amenity etc, but not for the type of product I want to recycle i.e. textiles.
Advertisement
27-10-2019, 21:38   #6
jlm29

All charity shops in my locality take bags of textiles that aren’t suitable to wear, for recycling. They get money for them when they move them on, so don’t feel bad for “lumbering” them. Just clearly mark the bags for recycling.
Not duvets though, they don’t take them
27-10-2019, 21:40   #7
Jellybaby1

I'll check my local charity shops so. Thank you.
27-10-2019, 22:28   #8
Fringegirl

Clothes banks are fine for the clothes and shoes, duvets and pillows are a bit of a pain to recycle and aren't accepted at clothes banks. The charity shops do prefer wearable clothes although they will send on other stuff to be recycled.

Check your local dogs and cats homes, some will take old blankets/sheets/towels for the furry residents. My local one is happy to have them as are dogs trust etc. Ask around friends who are pet owners too.

If you are handy with a sewing machine you can always upcycle old duvets or pillows and make them into nice cushions/draught excluders/pet beds/mattress toppers/ironing board covers/sleeping bag/plump out old sofa seat pads.

The contents of feather duvets and pillows can be composted too.
27-10-2019, 22:40   #9
two wheels good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybaby1 View Post
I am very interested in recycling old textiles and checked that site. I entered my area and found I had 48 bring centres which was great, however not one of them accepted textiles. They all just accepted cans and glass. The waste services locator on the site only allows filtering via centre i.e. Bringbank, Civic Amenity etc, but not for the type of product I want to recycle i.e. textiles.
Maybe just an omission on the website. All the bring sites I'm familiar with have bottles, cans, clothing banks.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
28-10-2019, 20:07   #10
Jellybaby1

Quote:
Maybe just an omission on the website. All the bring sites I'm familiar with have bottles, cans, clothing banks.
The ones that I regularly visit only take cans and glass, which is around six in my near vicinity. I wonder if you mean a civic amenity, I know they have clothing banks but the bring centres beside shopping centres, supermarkets, pubs etc., just take cans and bottles in my area. I'll have to travel a little bit further for the civic amenity.
28-10-2019, 21:42   #11
two wheels good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybaby1 View Post
The ones that I regularly visit only take cans and glass, which is around six in my near vicinity. I wonder if you mean a civic amenity, I know they have clothing banks but the bring centres beside shopping centres, supermarkets, pubs etc., just take cans and bottles in my area. I'll have to travel a little bit further for the civic amenity.
That's a nuisance. I'm surprised there are variations across the country? Bins removed due to theft?
I mean bring sites - e.g in supermarket car parks. Maybe email your council for accurate info. If nothing else it will make a point. I must say my councils respond promptly and helpfully. (Cork city and county)
Thanks from:
28-10-2019, 23:48   #12
Jellybaby1

Quote:
That's a nuisance. I'm surprised there are variations across the country? Bins removed due to theft?
I mean bring sites - e.g in supermarket car parks. Maybe email your council for accurate info. If nothing else it will make a point. I must say my councils respond promptly and helpfully. (Cork city and county)
No, not removed due to theft, just never there in the first place I'm afraid.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion