Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Prison Officer Recruitment 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

Break time is yours so not paid.

Do you know what breaks you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Do you know what breaks you get?

Day is based on an 8 to 8 with an hour dinner break so 11 hours pay.

You also get a breakfast and tea break of 40 mins each approx. within that 11 hours (these are paid)
    Breaks can vary from Jail to jail and from shift to shift as can your 'due on' hours. Whilst it's based on an 8-8 there are also shifts like 7.45 to 8.15 and so on but again these vary from jail to jail. There may be a paid dinner hour built into your roster whereby on one of your days you're covering the dinner guard. In that instance you're on a 12 hour day.
    There's so many variations around the country that it would be impossible to cover them all here. BTW, there's also 8 to 5 Monday to Friday rosters, again dependent on your job / location. Nights are also based on an 8 to 8 but in most places you come in early and get relieved early which is great for dodging traffic both for the guy going home and the guy coming in. Nights are paid for 12 hours.

At times you'll be designated Breakfast / Dinner / Tea Guard where you'll possibly be relieving someone, likewise with nights. Don't get a name as a 'bad' relief whatever you do !!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Pip108

Anybody know what time roughly the pct finishes at??

Such a long process but passed PCT.. Contract in post :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Jakeren7

Such a long process but passed PCT.. Contract in post :-)

Well done. How was it just waiting to be called for mine. Any tips

• Advertisement

Jakeren7 wrote: »
    Well done. How was it just waiting to be called for mine. Any tips

Sent ya pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭gavdolfini

Anybody else pass pct in February and still waiting on security clearance?. 2018 recruits are even starting ahead.of some 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 24 deeodee

Anybody else waiting on there clearance from 2016, mine has been gone since febuary at this stage

deeodee wrote: »
    Anybody else waiting on there clearance from 2016, mine has been gone since febuary at this stage

Same. No word from them. Don't know why or how 2018 candidates can start ahead. Don't have a large family.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭User2206

Hey, I know there’s still people from this campaign that have yet to be given an offer of a start date but I was just wondering for the people who have started in the IPS how long their wait was roughly?

Also, does anyone know when the next batch of offers are going out? :)

• Advertisement

User2206 wrote: »
    Hey, I know there’s still people from this campaign that have yet to be given an offer of a start date but I was just wondering for the people who have started in the IPS how long their wait was roughly?

Also, does anyone know when the next batch of offers are going out? :)

Wouldnt hold your breath waiting on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 CaitrionaBest

Hi there

Interview in a few days, what kinda questions do they ask? and group report writing/situation analysis..anybody any advice how best to pass this? Thanks 😀

Hi there

Interview in a few days, what kinda questions do they ask? and group report writing/situation analysis..anybody any advice how best to pass this? Thanks ��

It's a long time since I did it but be prepared for questions like "What makes you think that you'll be suited to this job...." or "How do you feel about dealing with rapists, murderers and every other kind of scumbag...." (or words to that effect !!)
    BTW, the correct type of answer for the above is something like.. "I wouldn't expect to know what every prisoner is in for - or their history - so I presume that I'd be expected to treat them all pretty much the same..."

In the group scenario don't be the 'Alpha male' leading the charge. Think about what you'd like to add to the conversation and do so without being asked. It doesn't matter what you think, or whether you're right or wrong (to a degree - just don't be completely off the wall!!) The main thing is that you're seen to analyse a problem and be seen to be acting on it. It's about interaction more than anything

• Registered Users Posts: 3 CaitrionaBest

It's a long time since I did it but be prepared for questions like "What makes you think that you'll be suited to this job...." or "How do you feel about dealing with rapists, murderers and every other kind of scumbag...." (or words to that effect !!)
    BTW, the correct type of answer for the above is something like.. "I wouldn't expect to know what every prisoner is in for - or their history - so I presume that I'd be expected to treat them all pretty much the same..."

In the group scenario don't be the 'Alpha male' leading the charge. Think about what you'd like to add to the conversation and do so without being asked. It doesn't matter what you think, or whether you're right or wrong (to a degree - just don't be completely off the wall!!) The main thing is that you're seen to analyse a problem and be seen to be acting on it. It's about interaction more than anything

Thank you so much for that ðŸ˜႒

Anybody on here from 2016 waiting on their clearance? I'm at my wits end now been over the year mark

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Redzer99

Anybody on here from 2016 waiting on their clearance? I'm at my wits end now been over the year mark

Don't mind me asking but have you lived outside of the state or does any of your family??

Redzer99 wrote: »
    Don't mind me asking but have you lived outside of the state or does any of your family??

I did live in England for awhile when I was younger but it was at the one address.

I am. Yet 2018 campaign getting contracts. Disgraceful

Finally got my clearance and get to start in May, Anyone still waiting from 2016 I hope it comes soon for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 KBHC

scullersky wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm if my calculations are correct?

Basic Pay including Rent Alowance €28,690
    Operational Alowance 8% €2,295.20 (8% of €28.690)
    AH Band 360 €5,072.04 (€14.098 x 360)

TOTAL: *€36,057 €1382.07 Gross Forghtnightly

* EXCLUDING SUNDAY PREMIUM + NIGHT DUTY ALOWANCE

Also can anyone tell me how many hours you get paid for a day? Like do you get paid for lunch or not, and if not how must time is deducted.

If anyone can advise if this is right or pm me, that would be great. Just trying to plan ahead if I pass the PCT.

Hi scullersky
    New to boards but waiting on clearance at the min.
    Did you ever find out if your calculations were correct?? Just looking to plan ahead myself. Pm me either.
    Thank you.

• Advertisement

As far as I aware we only get basic for the training weeks, all the other allowances won't kick in till we are assigned into a prison. As of Jan 2019 basic is 29267.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Bmrhcp

Is anyone from the 2016 panel still waiting on clearance to come back?

Bmrhcp wrote: »
    Is anyone from the 2016 panel still waiting on clearance to come back?

Yep. Not sure how many are left waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 CplMick

This maybe of interest to all of you hoping to join the service

http://trap.ncirl.ie/1780/1/joyceclarke.pdf

Best of luck with your application

Can anyone tell me when to expect my first payment when training? Does it start straight away or do we have to wait in lieu?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Can anyone tell me when to expect my first payment when training? Does it start straight away or do we have to wait in lieu?

2nd Thursday after starting.

Depends on when you start but I see you're down for May. Pay dates in May are the Thursday the 9th and Thursday the 23rd.

Depends on when you start but I see you're down for May. Pay dates in May are the Thursday the 9th and Thursday the 23rd.

Thanks for the reply, just seen some where in the contract it said in lieu so was wondering if it would be awhile before we got paid.

Thanks for the reply, just seen some where in the contract it said in lieu so was wondering if it would be awhile before we got paid.

No, I'm 99% sure (but stand to be corrected of course!!) that the current week, or basic wage, is paid to date and overtime / allowances etc are paid a fortnight in arrears.

• Advertisement

Anyone from 2016 campaign still waiting on clearance??!!.

Advertisement