Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remember the late 70s/early 80s?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

dSTAR wrote: »
    The Old Chinaman (which was a mad house)

Now that was a rough spot :)

Bartley Dunnes - crikey had forgotten about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

mike65 wrote: »
    God life was crap back then :(
    LOL...me too Mike. I was reading the previous posts thinking to myself "Jaysus...all that was happening back then?".

I was a little too young to get into the Dandelion scene. I remember the 80's as being particularly grim growing up in working-class Northside Dublin.

There was only one chip to be had and Christy Dignam got it and has being wearing it on his shoulder ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 alice carroll

Lots of groups of lads just playing music in the pubs. McDaids full of Ballyfermot lads playing traditional music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

I was only born in the 80s but what was the story with the Rocky Horror Picture Show mentioned in the OP? Anyone any stories about that?

Never went to the Rocky Horror Show. My memories are mostly from around the pub/traditional music scene around Grafton Street. I do remember McGonigles and walking home, never gave it a thought back in the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Never went to it myself, but the Rocky Horror Picture Show ran as a late show for many years in the Stella. People dressed up as characters from the film and joined in with the songs and stuff. From what I've heard it was a pretty raucous night out. My personal favourite late show was Stop Making Sense at the Ambassador. That ran for a good while too, although nothing like as long as the Rocky Horror. Those late shows in the cinema have long been a thing of the past, which is a bit of a pity really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Ye it sounds like fun. Something different and interactive. My dad was saying that people use to go regularly. Found this small bit of footage on it from the Classic Cinema in Harolds Cross.

http://www.rte.ie/archives/2016/0208/766296-rocky-horror-show/

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Ah, you're right, it was in the Classic, not the Stella. Still never went to it though. :D

remember getting up over and over again to fix the rolling telly

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭alexv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

My memories would have started in 1982: my sister being born, and Christmas presents stand out.

Advertisement