Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Defunct Bands

• 25-01-2008 12:35pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭

I remember during the 80's there was a huge proliferation of bands that were being touted on radio staions and on posters that seemed to be stuck everywhere,almost none of them ever released a song and vanished without trace.A few i remember are
    Thee Amazing colossal men
    In Tua Nua
    D11 Runners
    Winters Reign
    Blue in Heaven
    Guernica
    In Tua Nua
    The Subterreaneans
    The Shy
    Anybody got more?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Degsy wrote:
    I remember during the 80's there was a huge proliferation of bands that were being touted on radio staions and on posters that seemed to be stuck everywhere,almost none of them ever released a song and vanished without trace.A few i remember are
    Thee Amazing colossal men
    In Tua Nua
    D11 Runners
    Winters Reign
    Blue in Heaven
    Guernica
    In Tua Nua
    The Subterreaneans
    The Shy
    Anybody got more?

You mean there was a band called In Tua Nua who fell apart and amounted to nothing and then someone decided to create another band called In Tua Nua!?!?!:eek:

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭sidneykidney

Slightly off topic but just the other night on you tube i was watching Level 42 thinking that i liked this band way back when.
    God i had awful taste in the 80's:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Degsy wrote: »
    In Tua Nua

*shudder*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Lads In Tua Nua might have been crappy enough as a band (I don't remember hearing of them as a youngster) but I seen their lead singer, Leslie Dowdall play a gig last year and she was great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Damn you Degsy, the sh*te portal is now open, and I can now see the An Emotional Fish and A House emerging...... :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

What about Microdisney?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

The Fountainhead
    The Frames
    Cactus World News
    The Stunning
    Black Velvet Band...

Some bands that are still going (or reformed) like Paranoid Visions, Sultans of Ping FC

And some good bands that never quite made it, like the Whipping Boy and the Golden Horde

Here's a good lineup of those bands from Self Aid concert 1986
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self_Aid

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

What about Microdisney?

...not to mention Fatima Mansions and Revelino

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Cry Before Dawn
    No Sweat
    Mama's Boys
    My Little Funhouse
    Blink

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Engine Alley

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Engine Alley

Excellent band !

Saw them in Carlow RTC years back. I think that "Shane" opened for them.

Anyone remember "Shane"?

Who's Edddie..although,horribly i think they may be still going!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

Leslie Dowdall was a serious fox back in the day. In Tua Nua weren't that bad. 'All I Wanted' was a good single. 'Seven Into the Sea' was alright as well. Here it is from Self Aid with Gerry Ryan looking like he has anorexia compared to today: http://youtube.com/watch?v=lHFryUJ1SCo

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭deemy

Firetrap wrote: »
    Cry Before Dawn
    No Sweat
    Mama's Boys
    My Little Funhouse
    Blink
    Omg my little funhouse. I saw them live when i was about 15 or so. They were excellent. I still have the signed t-shirt and cd somewhere. They were supposed to have been the next big group. Signed to geffen and all. Does any1 know whatever happened to them. Cry before dawn were brill too. I have a vinal copy of an album but don't have a record player. shame.
    Going to nepal is on my ipod. class tune
    Anyone remember 'jump the gun' real cringe factor

I have their album on CD. I got it from a friend and I don't know if it's just a straight copy from vinyl or if it was released on CD. Gone Forever is a class tune.

Jump the Gun rings a vague bell. What did they sing?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

Light a Big Fire
    Those Nervous Animals
    Tuesday Blue
    Stepaside
    Toy With Rhythm

Cry Before Dawn : Didn't the lead singer (Brendan Wade?) appear on a Wexford song a few years back, band called The Wild Swans or something like that?

Of course, a bigger challenge would be to name songs by these bands...

Yeah you're right about Brendan Wade. The Wild Swans did that Wexford song which named out the whole team. I think too that the single was only released on cassette...remember them?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭deemy

Firetrap wrote: »
    I have their album on CD. I got it from a friend and I don't know if it's just a straight copy from vinyl or if it was released on CD. Gone Forever is a class tune.

Jump the Gun rings a vague bell. What did they sing?
    gone forever is that the name of it. Love it.
    Jump the gun were guys with def leopard hair. I got a signed poster when they came to the local marquee must have been in the late 80's. I think they were a eurovision group.
    Anyone know what happened to My little funhouse.
    Are therapy still going? shortsharpshocked is a regular on my ipod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

deemy wrote: »
    Are therapy still going? shortsharpshocked is a regular on my ipod.

Yeh that rocked, so did the whole album. I don't know if they are still going, haven't heard anything in a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

farohar wrote: »
    You mean there was a band called In Tua Nua who fell apart and amounted to nothing and then someone decided to create another band called In Tua Nua!?!?!:eek::p
    That'd be In Tua Nua Nua, then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Who's Edddie..although,horribly i think they may be still going!
    Yes they are, they played at my cousin's wedding last year.

Other notables include Stano (Ireland's answer to Brian Eno) and Aidan Walsh (Ireland's answer to Viv Stanshall).

It's a wee-bit ironic that U2 circa the late 70's were utterly sh*te compared to their Irish peers at the time, case in point being The Blades.

Of the lot I thought that Winters Reign, Mama's Boys, Cactus World News and particularly Aslan should have broken out. Although they all tried to 'crack' America, they really had very ineffectual Irish-based management that didn't know the college circuit in the same way that Paul McGuinness did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Donie75

What about "the Power of Dreams". They had some great music but I can't remember any of it. Would love to get one of their CD's.

I remember going to a free open air concert in the old Ilac overflow carpark in Dublin, I think it was 1988 for the Dublin Millenium. The line up was the Fountainhead, Aslan, Don Baker and Mary Coughlan and there may have been more.

What about "The Fat Lady Sings"? Their song Arclight is a classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Holmer

Yeah Therapy are going strong, Andy Cairns is into his 40s now but still rocks hard! You're right about the Wild Swans/Brendan Wade, they had a song called 'Dancing At The Crossroads' which was the Wexford anthem when they won the all Ireland Hurling in 96. One of Cry Before Dawn now has a car dealership in Wexford, I believe. Whipping Boy and Kerbdog are the ones I miss

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭Morgans

Power of Dreams - 100 ways to Kill A Love. From Immigrants Emigrants and Me. Good old Craig Walker. They were good.

Arclight. Class song from The Fat lady Signs.

The band that I would love to hear more from were The Would be's. Think they were from Cavan and had a song called I'm hardly ever wrong. Which I can remember thing was class, back at the time.

The revanants had their moments later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭Morgans

"My radio sounds different in the dark" was another classic by The Would be's. Really thought they were destined for the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Anyone remember The Pale? The only tune by them I can recall is "Butterfly". I have vague memories of it being released around '92.

I can also just about recall an 80s band called Ghost of an American Airman.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭RadioCity

The Adventures
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87PMeLEHISA

Their biggest hit was "Broken Land" which was (apparently) the most played song in Britain in 1988. I think the best it got to was number 20.

Microdisney was also mentioned, Town to Town often gets a play now and again on John Clarke's Sunday show on 2FM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

Mexican Pets - Great tune called "Supermarket" with a mad video of a house being
    vandalised with sledge hammers.

Brilliant Trees
    - Great soft tune called "Talent"

Kaydee - Still listen to them, "Mr.Sweeney" and "Cradle" amoung my favourite songs ever.

You'll gets loads of info, pics and lyrics on Irish bands past and present here:

http://www.irishmusiccentral.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Holmer

Mexican Pets were the business alright! Supermarket was cool. Saw them in the Point supporting Therapy in 95, along with Joyrider (deadly) and Ash (they were good back then, in the Kung Fu/Trailer era). Who remembers No Sweat? They had that song "Heart and Soul" years back, in the video they were tearing around a runway on a flatbed lorry. I remember it being on the Beat Box. ****e though! Still love hearing Something Happens, The Stunning and stuff like that on the radio. I always associate stuff like the Pale and Something Happens with my brother coming home from college, he was into all that, they were popular with students. also Into Paradise. Kaydee rings a bell.... I'll have to look them up.

Advertisement