Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History books of the year

• 22-12-2019 2:17pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As another year wraps up and Chrsitmas holiday reading time is upon us, what are posters favourite books (written, digital, audio) etc they have read during the year?

The top three for me are:
    > The age of wonder by Richard Holmes on the Scientic revolution during the Regency. (audio version)

> Dynasty: The Rise and Fall of the House of Caesar by Tom Holland on the birth of empire (audio version)

> The King and the Catholics by Antonia Fraser on the events leading up to the Catholic Emancipation bill of 1829. (paperback)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Dr.Nightdub

This was the stand-out for me, a breathtaking depth of research deployed to show how the fact that the 1798 rebellion in the north was instigated and led by presbyterians was consciously buried since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

The Catalpa Rescue by Peter Fitzsimons.
    Excellent account of the rescue of Fenian prisoners from Fremantle Jail Australia organised by John Devoy

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Really enjoyed the Nigerian History Quiz Book.

So often histories of African countries can read like academic essays , I found this a fun way to learn about the country

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Edgware wrote: »
    The Catalpa Rescue by Peter Fitzsimons.
    Excellent account of the rescue of Fenian prisoners from Fremantle Jail Australia organised by John Devoy

I read the article on Wikipedia and this should be made into a film like Black 47.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The Crusades (Thomas Asbridge). Feels like the seminal work on the subject. Asbridge does a wonderful job of taking a subject with such a wide scope and presenting it in an engaging and sometimes witty narrative.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Ascendant

The Crusades (Thomas Asbridge). Feels like the seminal work on the subject. Asbridge does a wonderful job of taking a subject with such a wide scope and presenting it in an engaging and sometimes witty narrative.

If the Crusades are your thing, then I'd recommend How to Plan a Crusade, by Christopher Tyerman - really gets into the social norms and expectations that underpinned the whole thing.

26219581._SY475_.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Ascendant wrote: »
    If the Crusades are your thing, then I'd recommend How to Plan a Crusade, by Christopher Tyerman - really gets into the social norms and expectations that underpinned the whole thing. [/CENTER]

Thanks for this. I did visit Jordan and read Asbridge's book as a bit of prep and it paid off.

The other two History books I read last year were Marc Morris' books on King John and The Norman Conquest. I read his book on King Edward I earlier this year. He's a wonderful writer and his books are meticulously researched. His work on Edward I is probably the best of the three. The Norman Conquest suffers from a paucity of primary sources while King John is best enjoyed following a primer on the subject as for some odd reason, Morris decides to leapfrog to different points in time for each chapter.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

theguzman wrote: »
    I read the article on Wikipedia and this should be made into a film like Black 47.

If you google You tube the Catalpa Rescue you should be able to source an excellent 45 minute account of the rescue. It is a far more exciting story than any of the fiction thrillers

Advertisement