Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Steak Thread SEE OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Lidl are doing Flat Iron Steaks for €3 from Thursday. Never had them, must give them a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

Scottie99 wrote: »
    Lidl are doing Flat Iron Steaks for €3 from Thursday. Never had them, must give them a try.

They're good. Bought one on Sunday. Need marinating though. Bit tough otherwise. I put crushed garlic, oil, salt and pepper and balsamic vinegar in a sandwich bag with the steaks and leave in the fridge till the following day. Tenderises it nicely.

Incidentally flat iron steaks are even leaner than sirloin and more tender, and about as lean, than round steak (if matured / marinated)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Cutting against the grain substantially improves tenderness and reduces cooking time, great tip especially for the cheaper, more economical cuts.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Cutting against the grain substantially improves tenderness and reduces cooking time, great tip especially for the cheaper, more economical cuts.

I don't follow - can you elaborate??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

That €6 for 2 ribeyes deal in Lidl is the best Ive gotten in a long while, no 25% off in Bray but still great, rib-eyes were massive and some of the best Ive ever cooked.

• Advertisement

I don't follow - can you elaborate??

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3194221/Why-slice-meat-against-grain-Video-reveals-science-keeping-steaks-tender.html

Ingenious really that a stroke of a knife can make such a difference. Cut across the flow of the muscle fibre.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3194221/Why-slice-meat-against-grain-Video-reveals-science-keeping-steaks-tender.html

Ingenious really that a stroke of a knife can make such a difference. Cut across the flow of the muscle fibre.

Ah I get ya now. Cutting it when cooked and on the plate.

Anyway - flat iron steaks for €3 tomorrow in Lidl. Get involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 wertyu12

Anyone see the bison beef anywhere pls keep us informed ðŸ‘

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

Thargor wrote: »
    That €6 for 2 ribeyes deal in Lidl is the best Ive gotten in a long while, no 25% off in Bray but still great, rib-eyes were massive and some of the best Ive ever cooked.
    very good value and they taste great, had one last night, big debate in my head if i should have two, should have lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Any recommendations where to get some nice t-bone or porterhouse steak?
    Castleknock,Blanchardstown,Navan road direction?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Maybe Brownes Steakhouse in Blanchardstown Village?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Thanks Diamond Doll.I have been to Brownes a few times its not bad at all,but i should have been a tad clearer its a butcher that does those cuts im looking for,the t-bones from my local butcher are not great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Pablo Rich Illness

magentis wrote: »
    Thanks Diamond Doll.I have been to Brownes a few times its not bad at all,but i should have been a tad clearer its a butcher that does those cuts im looking for,the t-bones from my local butcher are not great.

You could try ethersons in Cabra. Seamus does some good quality meats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

They're good. Bought one on Sunday. Need marinating though. Bit tough otherwise. I put crushed garlic, oil, salt and pepper and balsamic vinegar in a sandwich bag with the steaks and leave in the fridge till the following day. Tenderises it nicely.

Incidentally flat iron steaks are even leaner than sirloin and more tender, and about as lean, than round steak (if matured / marinated)

Sorry just seen this now. All I did was salt and pepper them 2/3 hrs before hand and left out the fridge. Four minutes either side, rested for 10, sliced and served with stir fried rice and veg. Simple but fab.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,924 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Specially Selected Striploin/Ribeye in Aldi from tomorrow €9 for 2. Damn tasty steaks they are, proper thick cut type.

Seconded

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Thirded

Make sure to engage them and have a chat about what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Kloppstar

Wouldnt recommend this butcher anymore - got a horrible piece of brisket here. Now going to Mahons of Stoneybatter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Kloppstar wrote: »
    Wouldnt recommend this butcher anymore - got a horrible piece of brisket here. Now going to Mahons of Stoneybatter

I'm always suspicious of a first time poster who registers to rubbish a business.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Kloppstar

Long time lurker - when I saw all the compliments for the butcher I decided to post giving my opinion - had used this butcher in the past and was impressed but last visit I promised myselft would be the last.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

A flipping Butcher is a Butcher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

A flipping Butcher is a Butcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

A flipping Bargain Alerts thread is a Flipping Bargain Alerts thread !:p

Scottie99 wrote: »
    , rested for 10,.

Sure the steak will be ice cold if you leave it resting so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Pablo Rich Illness

Had mine at the weekend and while nice I poured the water off the pan as they cooked.!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Shred

I picked up some T-bones in the Dublin Meat Company and grilled them on the BBQ yesterday evening. I'd say they were around 10oz and worked out at just over €6 each. While you can get cheaper (I personally don't buy into their 'huge savings' claim) they were magnificent. They had gorgeous looking thick rib eyes there also for just over €7 each, I'll be giving them a lash soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Sure the steak will be ice cold if you leave it resting so long.

wrap it in tin foil so it keeps its heat in. Resting steaks for 5-10 minutes after cooking makes a pretty big difference to how tender it is on the plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Shred

Muahahaha wrote: »
    wrap it in tin foil so it keeps its heat in. Resting steaks for 5-10 minutes after cooking makes a pretty big difference to how tender it is on the plate.

Seconded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭oleras

And a big bath towel on top of it to keep it well insulated ;)

• Advertisement

There's residual heat from the pan or oven which means the meat is still actually cooking while it's resting. Good idea with the foil.

Advertisement