Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dewalt 18v Xr Li-Ion Brushless Hammer Drill Driver - E209 @ Woodies

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I never suggested that the torque power wasn’t better, I stated that any variation would be small. I looked at the video and I’m wondering whether you actually understood it. It shows a variation of around 5% between the 2ah and 4ah batteries. That’s about the difference between a Lithium Ion battery fully charged and 70% charged - a small variation.

I totally under stand the results & they backup what I have been saying all along, The bigger the battery the bigger the torque & the faster the rotation. Other posters incorrectly insist that there can't be any difference between 2ah & 6ah batteries. They actually believe that it's impossible & it breaks the laws of physics.

You say 5% is small But a 5ah battery gives a 9% improvement & the 6ah gives 12% improvement. A 12 percent improvement in torque just by changing battery size is huge! Especially when it's "it's impossible & it breaks the laws of physics."

A 9 to 12 percent improvement on torque just by having a bigger battery is definitely something to consider when shopping for a cordless power tool. I effects my decision every time I buy a power tool. When you have a power tool in your hand everyday as part of your job 9 to 12 percent makes a huge difference

knipex wrote:
    I can show you a youtube video proving the earth is flat or the moon landing was a hoax or how to turn coal into diamonds..

You are talking nonsense now. There are videos with genuine benchmarking tests with genuine results showing that the bigger the battery the better the torque. Because it doesn't fit in your little bubble then you dismiss them totally.

Don't show me YouTube videos proving that the earth is flat because that's off topic. How about you show YouTube videos proving what you are saying is right. That makes more sense to me. Coming on saying something isn't true without any proof is not helping anyone.

I'm trying to show others thinking of buying this or other offers that there is more to battery size than charging & run times.

There are much better offers than this one. The amazon one with two 5ah batteries for £202 beats this one hands down. The woodies screw gun is the exact same one B&Q often have for €150 with 2ah batteries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭ Callan Uninterested Hazelnut

I bought this last night for €109 https://www.ie.screwfix.com/dewalt-dcd776s2t-gb-18v-1-5ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill.html

Thinking of cancelling and going for the bigger battery now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    A 9 to 12 percent improvement on torque just by having a bigger battery is definitely something to consider when shopping for a cordless power tool. I effects my decision every time I buy a power tool. When you have a power tool in your hand everyday as part of your job 9 to 12 percent makes a huge difference

I don’t know where you’re getting the 9 to 12 percent figure from. You said:
    Sleeper12 wrote:
    I bought the same screw gun with two 4ah batteries in Grange builders supplies for 250

This gives ~5% difference. Suggesting that this means that the drill with the smaller battery “isn't strong enough to drill some holes or drive some long screws” is nonsense. The “big battery” doesn’t improve the quality, either.

By the way, variations far greater than 5% are caused by:
    • The generation of the battery.
    • The ambient temperature.
    • The number of charge/discharge cycles.

So, in plain English, the only real life difference between different ampere hour capacities is the length of time you can use them, between recharges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

This thread is about a DeWalt 18V cordless drill. We are not talking flexvolt batteries, circular saws, world being flat, blah blah blah.
    Both in real world use and in theory, and I have experience of both, there is absolutely NO noticeable difference, no torque difference, no any difference between putting a 2 ah battery or a 4 ah battery on this drill other than the 4 ah would run longer and weigh more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NewClareman

This thread is about a DeWalt 18V cordless drill. We are not talking flexvolt batteries, circular saws, world being flat, blah blah blah.
    Both in real world use and in theory, and I have experience of both, there is absolutely NO noticeable difference, no torque difference, no any difference between putting a 2 ah battery or a 4 ah battery on this drill other than the 4 ah would run longer and weigh more.

Exactly!

I don’t know where you’re getting the 9 to 12 percent figure from. You said:

9 percent for 5ah & 12 percent for 6ah. It's clear as day in the video.

I have several dewalt cordless tools with several batteries

This thread is about a DeWalt 18V cordless drill. We are not talking flexvolt batteries, circular saws, world being flat, blah blah blah. Both in real world use and in theory, and I have experience of both, there is absolutely NO noticeable difference, no torque difference, no any difference between putting a 2 ah battery or a 4 ah battery on this drill other than the 4 ah would run longer and weigh more.

In the video where they benchmark tested the 2ah 4ah and 6ah they recorder 12 percent more torque between the 2ah and the 6ah. They also recorded faster rotation.

12 percent is very noticeable and very real. You try drill an 8 inch hole with a 25mm auger wood drill bit on a fully charged 2ah battery and it will slow down & stop before you get through but a 5ah or 6ah battery will get you all the way through.

I suppose at least the sweeping posts of "all battery torque is the same & it's totally impossible" have stopped so we've made some progress with the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Bigserious1

Bought one and seems fine for 99% of people I'm sure.

Used the click and collect which worked fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Phil.x

We use the dewalt 2ah screw guns in work and cant fault them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I bought this last night for €109 https://www.ie.screwfix.com/dewalt-dcd776s2t-gb-18v-1-5ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill.html

Thinking of cancelling and going for the bigger battery now...

That's not the brushless version, so I would cancel it if you still could.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

Low price on the Dewalt drill bit set.

Lowest price it has been according to Keepa

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HJUBD3C/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

Is that a good drill? Worth the cash?

It's geared to the DIY person. It has: Max. torque 42Nm. No. load speed: 0-450/1500rpm. Impact rate: 0-7650/25500bpm.

This https://www.ie.screwfix.com/dewalt-dcd778l2t-sfgb-18v-3-0ah-li-ion-brushless-cordless-combi-drill.html one is more expensive But is geared more for a tradesman despite the small battery size.

It has Max. torque 65Nm hard / 26Nm soft. No. load speed: 0-500 / 1750rpm. Impact rate: 0-8500 / 29,750bpm.

Both are great as screw guns but the higher torque is noticeable when drilling. The more expensive one is the better buy imo

This https://www.ie.screwfix.com/dewalt-dcd778l2t-sfgb-18v-3-0ah-li-ion-brushless-cordless-combi-drill.html one is more expensive But is geared more for a tradesman despite the small battery size.

Don't know anything about these, but seems a lot cheaper here :

https://www.farmandhomesupplies.ie/product/dewalt-dcd778l2t-sfgb-18v-3.0ah-li-ion-xr-brushless-cordless-combi-drill

• Registered Users Posts: 12,303 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

It's geared to the DIY person. It has: Max. torque 42Nm. No. load speed: 0-450/1500rpm. Impact rate: 0-7650/25500bpm.

It has Max. torque 65Nm hard / 26Nm soft. No. load speed: 0-500 / 1750rpm. Impact rate: 0-8500 / 29,750bpm.

Both are great as screw guns but the higher torque is noticeable when drilling. The more expensive one is the better buy imo

I need to drill through an external wall. It's 40cm thick. Would either of those have enough power for the job or would I need an ac powered drill?

I need to drill through an external wall. It's 40cm thick. Would either of those have enough power for the job or would I need an ac powered drill?

I don't know the answer to that tbh. I'd expect the more expensive one to be able to do it slowly. It'll but a lot of wear & tear on a cordless drill drilling holes like that. If it's just a one off job why not borrow a sds mains drill. It'll fly through it.

Back in the day I used to drill holes for half inch pipe through solid walls. Sds mains was the best option. I kept the cordless drill for smaller holes. Now I drill dozens of 6mm holes in tiles everyday with the Dewalt cordless. I don't drill though walls anymore so no longer have a sds drill. Once I got rid of that I no longer needed the extension lead. Now there is nothing in my van with a power cord

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Pique

Not a hope. Hire an sds drill.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭captainshamroc

I'm looking for a cordless drill for screws but I'm not sure I can justify the price of some of the more expensive ones. I do a fair amount of diy and was making a garden fence at the weekend and it took me 3 times the time it would have taken with an electric screwdriver so I'm biting the bullet. I have a big old wired drill that will do any wall drilling so this will really just be for wood screws.
    Saw this advertised in Lidl
    https://www.lidl.ie/en/special-offers.htm?articleId=15392
    but wonder am I just kidding myself. For taking a door off hinges etc it should be perfect. Its just won't do any big jobs which I might have over the next year or two - taking up a deck etc.
    I've had good experience with some Parkside branded tools before so expect it to be decent enough. Will get a few years for €35.
    Should I just go with something decent?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 217 ✭✭Cockford Ollie

I'm looking for a cordless drill for screws but I'm not sure I can justify the price of some of the more expensive ones. I do a fair amount of diy and was making a garden fence at the weekend and it took me 3 times the time it would have taken with an electric screwdriver so I'm biting the bullet. I have a big old wired drill that will do any wall drilling so this will really just be for wood screws.
    but wonder am I just kidding myself. For taking a door off hinges etc it should be perfect. Its just won't do any big jobs which I might have over the next year or two - taking up a deck etc.
    I've had good experience with some Parkside branded tools before so expect it to be decent enough. Will get a few years for €35.

Buy cheap, buy twice.

I know you dont want to spend "big money" but I recommend the ryobi one + gear for a DIYer.
    Once you get a battery and charger the body only tools are fairly cheap .
    They make brushed and brushless models of each so you can get a better version if you use something a lot.
    One battery ,loads of different tools

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Get that Dewalt one advertised earlier in the thread. Have one myself and with two 3.0amp battery's your laughing. If you want to buy other Dewalt cordless tools then . Just buy on Amazon, their gray cheaper then bricks and mortar shops in Ireland.

but wonder am I just kidding myself. For taking a door off hinges etc it should be perfect. Its just won't do any big jobs .....

Correct on both fronts. It is a nice little screwdriver, looks like a clone of the makita's or bosch. It's actually quite decent and a handy little tool to get after you buy a drill. :D
    Note: in the advertisement you posted, it states 20 Volts, it's not, it's 10.8v or as the new rebranding of these tools call it 12 volts.
    The key figure is 28 Nm torque, and for that you get to drive about 6mm screws max, unlikely to cut he mustard at the decking.
    Then again it's surprising what you can make do with, if budget is tight. eg. pre drilling larger screws etc.

As the cliche goes, if all you have is a hammer, then everything looks like a nail. :)

Advertisement