Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2013 Reg Number

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Christ, this country is gone bananas.

So, I emailed this off to the Minister of Transport, at minister@transport.ie just now.

Dear Minister
    I heard on radio this morning, and have been reading online, about proposals to modify our World Leading and award-winning, number plate system, because of superstition for the year '13'.
    I would implore you to NOT do any such thing. This country has failed at many things, but the model of the xx-xx-xxxxx number plate system is not one of them, so please don't mess with it.
    On a practical note, there is another reason not to: the proposal I heard this morning, to have 131-xx-xxxxx for Jan - June, and 132-xx-xxxxx form July - December, will not work - it will not physically fit on the current number plate space and comply with the regulations for the size and type of font to be used, and space between them required - which is checked, for example, by NCT. For example, 131-WH-11999 will not fit and comply with Irish regulations, and fit on a standard car numberplate - there isn't enough space: don't forget we have to fit the county name over, in Irish, AND the EU/IRL logo to the left of it as well.

But consider also: motorbikes, scooters, mopeds, and many other machines: the CURRENT ones don't fit on them already, so how will the new one ?

As proof of this, the one alteration to the system already made, that of the ZV range of numbers doesn't work, because the string of digits doesn't fit on a standard plate, either - this is now in the format of ZV-120xxx, which fills a plate completely......and yet still fails to meet Regulations. The proposals I heard this morning are worse, and more onerous.

Which means the State is actually issuing numbers which do not comply with it's own regulations, as printed on a number plate, as they are impossible to observe.

Minister, in the interests of sanity, of common sense, please defend the system we have, which works (with the exception of the ZV system, which doesn't.......), and maintain the system as-is.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This has to be one of the most ridiculous, idiotic cr@p proposals I've heard yet from this country.

FFS if you are that paranoid about your 13-reg car then here's an idea.. don't buy one! Wait till (20)14 if it's that big a deal!

I don't see any valid reason for this at all and "serving the motor trade interest" doesn't qualify in my book. Maybe if they slashed the ridiculous wage bills (€95 ex-vat an hour) and inflated prices on the forecourt and actually offered decent Customer Service they might do better during the year

But well done Ireland. Every time I think this place can't get anymore backwards or just plain stupid, I'm proven wrong once again. No wonder the Germans have to tell us how to run the show if this is the level of "genius" we can come up with ourselves

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

THE Government is to bring in a new licence-plate system next year

By Padraic Deane and Allison Bray

But the spokesman declined to comment because this is an issue that may arise in December's Budget.
    The Revenue Commissioners also declined to comment.
    - Padraic Deane and Allison Bray

Calm down everyone. It is august already. Even if they wanted to do it, it is to late...Wonder where Padraic and Allison got the story from?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    This has to be one of the most ridiculous, idiotic cr@p proposals I've heard yet from this country.
    Agreed, but I suspect they're already striving to find ways of coming up with even more absurd ideas
    FFS if you are that paranoid about your 13-reg car then here's an idea.. don't buy one! Wait till (20)14 if it's that big a deal!
    That's exactly what the SIMI are terrified about!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,853 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

testicle wrote: »

So the dealers cause an issue and then get it fixed by lobbying.

All that will happen if this does come in is that dealers will now say "Ah sure that's a January car, it's worth less than a July car." when you got to trade in. So now instead of all car sells taking place in Dec-Feb it'll be Jun-Aug.

There aren't enough new car buyers in this country for bi annual registration numbers. The only way to balance demand is for dealers to change their trade in policy, not tinker with something which isn't broke.

They want their cake, now they can eat it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Tae laidir

galwaytt wrote: »
    Christ, this country is gone bananas.

On a practical note, there is another reason not to: the proposal I heard this morning, to have 131-xx-xxxxx for Jan - June, and 132-xx-xxxxx form July - December, will not work - it will not physically fit on the current number plate space and comply with the regulations for the size and type of font to be used, and space between them required - which is checked, for example, by NCT. For example, 131-WH-11999 will not fit and comply with Irish regulations, and fit on a standard car numberplate - there isn't enough space:

That's 10 Characters!
    Even India, with 1 Billion people, half of them on motorbikes, can do with a max of 9??

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ6s8OwZAP-73qGW_GE4YlWY7WQrN7fl5ZqUJAf15uQoyvODkh-mQ

I still smile when I see 01-L & 01-LS, particularily on OIL tankers.

I was kind of looking forward to see 13-OY (BOY) on Subaru WRXs, but its not to be.
    I am sure motorists in South Tipp are in BITS.
    Galway motorists will feel BIG.
    And Kildare motorists will want one for their BIKE.
    Oh, and I'll BID farewell!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,536 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Ah, triskadekaphobia. There's mention that next year may see the introduction of a twice yearly issue of plates: Jan to June and July to Dec. 13-1 D 100 or summat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

I can't see why a superstitious person would buy a 131 or 132 plate and not a 13 plate. The 13 is still in the plate FFs. All the superstitious people just won't buy a new car in 2013' end of. No point in this utterly pointless, useless waste of tax payers money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Doesn't seem to have been discussed anywhere, but they're talking about increasing VRT as well:mad::

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/motoring/hardpressed-motorists-face-new-round-of-car-tax-hikes-3208952.html

The only consolation I can see is that bands B-G are only going up by one per cent, which is only a few hundred quid at the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

There is no way you'll be able to insure a 13 car 'cos you'll defiantly crash :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

ah the number 13 will still be on the plate?? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Wetbench4 wrote: »
    ah the number 13 will still be on the plate?? :confused:
    Yes.

There are already loads of plates with 13 on them already. This is flaming ridiculous carry on by pandering to the stupid SIMI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

Things will get mighty confusing at a glance in a few years time:
    192.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,139 ✭✭✭✭noodler

More to with evening out car sales throughout the year tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

noodler wrote: »
    More to with evening out car sales throughout the year tbh.
    But it won't because as pointed out above people will just wait till July instead for the "newer" reg :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

This HAS to be a wind up, I don't believe it. Not even these clowns are stupid enough to introduce something so incredibly idiotic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

This HAS to be a wind up, I don't believe it. Not even these clowns are stupid enough to introduce something so incredibly idiotic.

To be fair, the person that came up with the new import numbering system is a grade-A retard. They're on staff. And they can't be fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

mb1725 wrote: »
    Things will get mighty confusing at a glance in a few years time:
    192.jpg
    Exactly. The same bass-ackwards way as the current system, only worse...

Garda: Did you get the reg of the hit-and-run car?

You: Partly - it was 07-D something....

How much easier it would have been to have

12345-D-07

than

07-D-12345

Then, at least, your reply to the Garda would have been:

You: Partly - it was 12345-D something....

OT: The 131 was a common as muck rust bucket. I'd have a 132 anyday. :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

I concur with many of you indeed, this is ludicrous .... the economy is in tatters and some people have really nothing else to think about ? Prioritising should be the order of the day ... :rolleyes:

For the anecdote, when I imported my car years ago, I was allocated the serial number of 6713 on the reg number. The girl at the VRT desk asked me if I was supersticious because I had 2 number 13 in this number. :confused: Indeed she tells me : 6+7=13 and then the number 13 ...:eek:
    As far as I am concerned, 13 is my lucky number :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

It says a lot about Irish people and how backward this country still is that a 13 could affect car sales.

Shocking stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

I was born on a Friday the thirteenth, maybe I'll be outlawed soon! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,139 ✭✭✭✭noodler

But it won't because as pointed out above people will just wait till July instead for the "newer" reg :rolleyes:

I doubt it.

At the very least there will be more sales in Jan/Feb/Mar and then July/August/Sept.

I really think people are overblowing this 13 thing - I mean the system is supposed to be in place permanently - not just for 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

noodler wrote: »
    I really think people are overblowing this 13 thing - I mean the system is supposed to be in place permanently - not just for 2013.

The problem is it's an insanely bad addition to a perfectly good system for the benefit of no one only the car dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Since 1987 it has played right into the hands of SIMI/car dealers.

I'd prefer to see some thing more radical like

AA D 12345
    AB D 12345

rather than

131 D 12345
    132 D 12345

It would be (slightly) less overt to plate-snobbery, would require one less character and you might generate some 'interesting' words. The UK system signifies year and 6 month period AND it's flexible enough to allow vanity plates from which the gov reaps a profit.

Frankly I think Irish people are conditioned at this stage to be obsessive about the year. I'm not sure 131 or 132 will fragment the demand the way they hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Basil Fawlty

Or they could just give us personalised registrations that would cover up a 13 if you are superstitious and also bring in additional revenue. Additional revenue could also be made on older cars changing there plate not just brand new ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Why didn't they just give a free Padre Pio sticker with every car to protect against bad luck.
    My Ma already has the franchise for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭megafan

mb1725 wrote: »
    I was born on a Friday the thirteenth, maybe I'll be outlawed soon! :eek:

& mb1725.... Your message is no #113...:eek: Can Boards skip no 13 in any replys to posts??? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Utterly, utterly ridiculous. More of the mind-numbing stupidity that seems to characterize the attitude of Irish motorists when it comes to buying cars. It's encouraging the typical "the number plate is more important than the car" stereotype. Tiny engined, no metallic paint, steel wheels - but she's brand new and sher everyone will see that you're driving a new car.

Also, I like how their quoting the similarity to the UK system. I wouldn't mind, but the UK motor industry has been complaining about their plate system for years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I think the righteous indignation is a bit previous tbh.

I don't agree with the previous posts about the wonderfulness of the current system btw, it's neither logical nor graceful, it was designed solely with snobbery in mind, to benefit the "Irish Motor Industry". A letter-based system is much more logical, for example, simply because 26 > 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

dahamsta wrote: »
    A letter-based system is much more logical, for example, simply because 26 > 10.
    But.... but 99 > 26. :eek:

I do get your point though.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement