Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TFI Leap Card Guide & FAQ (Updated Jan 2020)

15678911»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

There used to be something in the terms and conditions about unused credit, had that been removed?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There was something about the card being suspended if not used for two years. It should be checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Joekers

Is there a way to check the total amount of times a leap card has been used over a certain period of time ? My annual pass is coming towards the end and would like to know the total amount of times I have used it since I got it.

Register the card, log in an you can see the recent history. If you email them, they can give you a fuller history.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Even the "fuller" history is limited. If you use it every day, it may only be an extra month or so, compared to what you see on the leapcard account.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭lovelyhurler

Quick question folks.
    My daughter had a 5 - 15 card. Shes now 17 - almost 18 - and still has credit on her child card.
    Is there anyway to transfer the credit across to a new student/adult card?
    And, why is the 16 - 18 age group the only one that needs to apply online and produce photo ID?

Child Card 16 – 18 may be substantially cheaper for certain trips. Seriously consider getting it.
    Quick question folks.
    My daughter had a 5 - 15 card. Shes now 17 - almost 18 - and still has credit on her child card.
    Take a look here at the procedures: https://about.leapcard.ie/about/where-to-buy
    And, why is the 16 - 18 age group the only one that needs to apply online and produce photo ID?
    Up to age 19, one can avail of child fares. 15 years olds are normally identifiable as being under 19. Using an adult Leap Card is more expensive and less capable of being abused.

Quick question folks.

You'll need to get a refund online. The credit can't transfer between cards , nor between card types.

The 16 - 18 card, used to be for 12 - 15. It was retroactively repurposed for 16 - 18, so they wouldn't have to invest in an additional card type and re-doing the fare systems of a ride range of service providers, Luas stood out more so than the others, but I can't recall why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭ Bryant Gigantic Termite

My Leap card wouldn't scan on Friday morning. Worried it won't scan again in the morning. But it scans on my phone ok for the top up app - is that using a different technology altogether, or would that indicate the card is ok? Not sure whether to order a replacement or not now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Have just applied for a personalised leap card online. Does it take long to produce/ship?
    Update: got it in post today, two days after ordering online. Great service so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

When you get the tax saver leap card do you give back your existing leap card? If so how do you get back any money you have on it?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Gael23 wrote: »
    When you get the tax saver leap card do you give back your existing leap card? If so how do you get back any money you have on it?

No, you don't give it back. You can just go online and cancel it, and they will refund any money on it (plus your deposit) back to your bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

This may have been asked before. If so, apologies. Is the visitor card "disposable" or can it be used as a regular leap card after it has been used and recharged as a visitor card the max 4 times?

Is the visitor card the best value card for use in the Dublin area over a 3 day period? (assuming one wants to use multi-mode)

I have two "normal" leap cards (one child, one adult, which we have shared up to now on trips home and just used as a cash wallet type thing)

It's disposable. The only type of ticket it can hold are those visitor tickets. It can't get credit put onto them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Much obliged.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭Vic_08

murphaph wrote: »
    This may have been asked before. If so, apologies. Is the visitor card "disposable" or can it be used as a regular leap card after it has been used and recharged as a visitor card the max 4 times?

Is the visitor card the best value card for use in the Dublin area over a 3 day period? (assuming one wants to use multi-mode)

I have two "normal" leap cards (one child, one adult, which we have shared up to now on trips home and just used as a cash wallet type thing)

The visitor leap also has a short lifespan, expiry is usually 1 year from issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭MOR316

I lost my leap card during the week.
    Only noticed now...

It wasn't registered and it had nothing on it. Can I buy a new one this morning and can I use it straight away?

Thanks for any help I receive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭Vic_08

MOR316 wrote: »
    Only noticed now...

It wasn't registered and it had nothing on it. Can I buy a new one this morning and can I use it straight away?

Yes and yes.

MOR316 wrote: »
    Only noticed now...

If you know the card number, you can register it now and get your €5 deposit back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭MOR316

Thanks guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Got student leap card few weeks ago and from very start it did not work on nearly half of tap stations (works perfectly on topping-up machines). I usually do the same route and I learned which tap stations I can use but today morning (Thursday 06/05) it refused to work on any tap stations and I was forced to buy single journey ticket to travel. Was sure my card was fault and finally died and was going to report it but to be 100% I did checked it late evening (7pm) and it worked back again. Do you think I should report it anyway and ask for replacement? Or it was (is?) some temporary Luas issue only?

1. It is important to hold (not swipe) the card in the correct place. Read the validator instructions.
    2. There will be validators that aren't working. Mentioning this to the operator may be useful.
    3. You can use any validator at the stop / bus, in either direction.

Victor wrote: »
    1. It is important to hold (not swipe) the card in the correct place. Read the validator instructions.
    2. There will be validators that aren't working. Mentioning this to the operator may be useful.
    3. You can use any validator at the stop / bus, in either direction.

Are there validators at bus stops?
    Anyway - I know how NFC works, validated card correctly. It may be a hint that when rejected, validators show "uncorrect" alert and sound alert beep even if card is in bigger distance like 4-5 inch from validator surface. May it be a reason it is too sensitive? Have this year student cards changed technology? I used number of lepacerds for years and none were able to cause any reaction at 4 or even 3 inches from validator surface?

zom wrote: »
    Are there validators at bus stops?
    Anyway - I know how NFC works, validated card correctly. It may be a hint that when rejected, validators show "uncorrect" alert and sound alert beep even if card is in bigger distance like 4-5 inch from validator surface. May it be a reason it is too sensitive? Have this year student cards changed technology? I used number of lepacerds for years and none were able to cause any reaction at 4 or even 3 inches from validator surface?

Actually something was done last week and all issues magically gone. I'm 99% sure it was not my card issue but Luas system. Pity we have a culture of treating customers like dumbos and not telling them anything about problems companies experience - and this is not about Luas particularly, but in general 99% of industry including giants like Microsoft or Google for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭muloc

Hi,
    Never used/had a leap card before.

If I buy adult one in newsagents is it €5 for card and min. €5 top up so €10?

And this will cover me for a day using unlimited dublin bus/luas/dart?

Thanks

The "€5 for card" is a **useable** deposit. So, even if you only have €0.01 on the card, you can still make that one last journey worth up to €5.01.

Whether fare capping will kick in or not depends on what and how many modes you use (and somewhat how you use them). You (if you are a non-student adult) would be better off having a minimum of €10 on the card (so pay €15 when you get the card on day 1).

https://about.leapcard.ie/fare-capping

https://about.leapcard.ie/leap-90

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭muloc

Victor wrote: »
    The "€5 for card" is a **useable** deposit. So, even if you only have €0.01 on the card, you can still make that one last journey worth up to €5.01.

Whether fare capping will kick in or not depends on what and how many modes you use (and somewhat how you use them). You (if you are a non-student adult) would be better off having a minimum of €10 on the card (so pay €15 when you get the card on day 1).

https://about.leapcard.ie/fare-capping

https://about.leapcard.ie/leap-90

Thanks Victor. Sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I got some interesting info going from reading the minutes of the NTA's May 2021 board meeting.
    18. AOB

Mr L’Estrange confirmed that the Authority is participating in Enterprise Ireland’s Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) Programme in order to allow the Authority to connect with businesses to provide innovative solutions to the provision of information to passengers in real time regarding the availability of space for passengers (including wheelchair passengers) on bus services.

Separately, Mr Higgins noted that the Authority’s engineers were also considering the scope for introducing a virtual Leap Card.

The Chairperson confirmed that none of the three vacancies on the Board of the Authority have yet been publicly advertised.

It's said that the authority's engineers are considering to introduce a virtual leap card which is to be used to tag-on/tag-off while paying for PT services on your phone. I would take a guess in that if it was being implemented to members of the public through your phone; it would be released on both Apple Pay and Google Pay. Is that right? I would also assume that it would need to be implemented soon so passengers can use it for the new 90 minute fare for BusConnects Dublin and Luas/Dart/Commuter services from October onwards.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

It's not going to happen anywhere near October this year, to make that happen they're going to have to replace a large amount of equipment and create an operating environment and infrastructure that can support it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement