Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Researching A Soldier in the Free State Army

Options
  • 24-06-2010 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭

During the 90's i did alot of family research and discovered that my Grandfather was injured in an ambush during the Irish civil War.

At the time the records about the incident had not been released so I could not follow it up. Due to life getting in the way I abandoned my family research but lately have had the urge to once more do somemore digging. :D

I'm wondering has anyone done any research into family members who were in the Free State Army and what records am I likely to find.
    I know the records are held in rathmines but have not made any apointment to see them yet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

i too would be interested to hear about this type of research. i know that UCD library hold some records, including writings from a gaol etc... i also have info passed down through the family such as batallion number etc., but would love to see the army records themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

You might something here:

http://www.military.ie/dfhq/archives/collections.htm

However, I think a lot of civil war ambushes were just never recorded. Very sensitive area so a lot of attacks were not published.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

You might something here:

http://www.military.ie/dfhq/archives/collections.htm

However, I think a lot of civil war ambushes were just never recorded. Very sensitive area so a lot of attacks were not published.

Thanks for that InchicoreDude: Yes I'm aware that it's a sensitive subject and my Grandad never spoke about The Civil War. My Grandfather joined the Free State Army after serving in the War of Independence, Coincidentally he was based in Portabello Barracks (now Cathal Brugha Barracks) where the records are held.

I guess I would like to have got feedback from others who possibly researched a next of kin member during that period of time before contacting The Army Archives.:)

hi

I saw my grandfather's file, who was an officer in the Free state Army.
    Interesting enough, he left the army in 1924 and applied for a grant to set up a business. On the file were the original application he made for the grant together with references from various officers, recommending him, and details of a medical he did.
    It helps if the subject of your research has a less than common name, and is an officer.
    The waiting time to gain access to the archives is about 3-4 months.
    I've also written to the army administration in Galway to see his medal application file, as in order to get a 1916 or War of independence medal, the applicant had to formally write in and detail their activities, I was told the waiting time is up to a year.

Dursey:Thanks for your info I'm surprised it takes up to 4 mths to gain access to see the records but thank you for making me aware of that.

Yes my Grandfather would have a rather unique name but sadly did not go far up the ranks biggrin.gif
    He was discharged from the army due to his injury in 1922 but rejoined again and left the army after "The Emergency" .
    Unfortunately I don't have his army medals so I'm not sure what service medals he ever recieved . It's likely another member of the family has them in their possession but nobody will tell me who it is frown.gif
    Are you saying that I would be able to find this info out from Renmore Barracks in Galway?
    Did you get to see the excellent exhibition of Civil War photographs in the Irish Photographic Archive which finished recently? I'm pretty sure that my Grandfather is in one of the shots taken outside the barracks at Rathmines.
    It was from a collection of photographs taken by the army chaplin!

• Advertisement

hi

to request information on a grandparent who was involved in the War of independence, write to:

Pensions Administration Section
    Dept of Defence
    Áras an tSáile
    Renmore
    Galway

I wrote in February, and they confirmed they have a file on my grandparents(3 of whom were awarded 1916,and black and tan medals),but am still waiting.
    Looking forward to seeing what turns up, as i know very little of my mother's side of the family.

Renmore was actually the last barracks he served in :).
    Will shoot off some letters and keep you updated on my progress.
    Never thought of making an enquiry about my Maternal Grandfather. According to his death notice in the paper in the 60's he also served in the old IRA in the South-East of the country ;)

Advertisement