Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

irish_goat wrote:
    I would have said the opposite, Shandon Stout was just about the only decent beer Fran Well produced (aside from a few one offs).

I could get Chieftain IPA in most pubs in our town obviously helped by its coors connection. It was a nice change from the usual taps so I've developed a taste for it. Had some nice beers and pizzas down in their brewery in cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,758 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Cazale wrote: »
    The father in law is subjecting me to this stuff. Hint of toffee apple he says. Hint of ****e off it.

Have you considered the possibility that your FIL is pulling the absolute piss out of you??;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Wild Turkey101

“Hot” at 50% and under 45 euro. But lacking the chewyness of my benchmark bourbon these days, Eage Rare.

It’s good, but I won’t be buying a second bottle.

Absolutely love WT 101. It's very different to Eagle Rare, a lot more rye spice in WT. If you like the 101, Wild Turkey Rare Breed takes it up a notch. I wouldn't be without a bottle these days!

Eagle Rare is also excellent and is another bottle I always grab when I see it. A ten year old product from Buffalo Trace distillery that shares its mash bill with EH Taylor and Stagg Jnr among other €120+ bottles. Much sweeter than WT 101.

A lot of bourbons suffer from price gauging these days (and of course you'd cry if you saw what a no excise, no tariff bottle of something like WT 101 retails for in the US....) and the pricing from Irish retailers seems to bear no resemblance to the relative pricing in the US, even accounting for ABV.

Looking at one retailer that in fairness has a consistently broad bourbon selection, for example Elijah Craig Small Batch (47%) goes for €89 vs €43 for WT 101. In the US, you'd find WT 101 (50.5%) for $25-30 and EC SB for $30 (depending on where you are). Something like EC SB is a lovely drop, but I just couldn't justify dropping that kind of money on it, twice WT 101. And then something like Eagle Rare is actually pretty spot on - $40-45 and a not dissimilar price difference in Ireland. Maybe it's BT and WT controlling their distribution better? High hype bourbons like Stagg Jr. can be found for €120 here, $100 in the US and most often on the secondary market for more (and I've seen that price across multiple retailers).

Anyway... I'll be wanting a bottle of bourbon tonight after that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I've bought the Elijah Craig small batch and the 12 year old, I just wait until I'm going through Dublin airport on an outside EU trip and then I grab them at the lower price. But ... yeah.... that tactic hasn't been used in a while, for obvious reasons!

I was originally going to buy the Rare Breed in lieu of the 101 but I read a number of reviews convincing me that the 101 was actually the better of the two even at the less premium placement. If there is a heavier body on the Rare Breed I regret not going for it now, but I didn't think the 101 would be a thin as it seems, at 50% abv.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Anyone interested in a swap?

I've got Roe and Co 13 year old cask strength. Have had 2 drops out of it but I wont be having any more of it. Dont know what it is but its just not to my taste at all.

No idea if anyone would be interested or what would even be worth swapping it for but it might interest someone.

• Advertisement

Have you considered the possibility that your FIL is pulling the absolute piss out of you??

I have but he's been consistently at it for nearly 20 years so it's a long leg pull. A bit of jest involved in my updates here though as I'm genuinely excited at times to see what god forsaken bottle he has picked up.

I got a free bottle of Muff Whiskey off him last night. One shot taken out of it but as there is a bit of peat in it he didn't like it. A five part blend from Great Northern so I'll be interested to try it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I got a free bottle of Muff Whiskey off him last night. One shot taken out of it but as there is a bit of peat in it he didn't like it. A five part blend from Great Northern so I'll be interested to try it.

Living 2 mins from Muff and I've not seen it on any shelves yet. Don't think I'll rush to buy it either.

• Administrators Posts: 53,358 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Redbreast Lusteau now.

I think I preferred both the 12 and 15. Not sure this is worth a premium over the 12.

irish_goat wrote: »
    Living 2 mins from Muff and I've not seen it on any shelves yet. Don't think I'll rush to buy it either.

Trying it now. Drinkable but just about. The peat doesn't do anything for it. If you ever want a sample give me a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭1901Rory

Having some Balvenie 12 tonight. Musky, sawdust smell - like a musky dad hug from long ago. Lovely sweet taste, with a hint of peat. It’s a good one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

awec wrote: »
    Redbreast Lusteau now.

I think I preferred both the 12 and 15. Not sure this is worth a premium over the 12.

Felt the exact same when I tried that mini tasting pack. Missus had Lustau as her fav then.

dobman88 wrote: »
    Felt the exact same when I tried that mini tasting pack. Missus had Lustau as her fav then.

Truth be told I'd be hard pressed to find much of a difference between this and the 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭1901Rory

Might anyone know where i would be able to pick up a Compass Box Great King Street Artist's blend? Tried some Irish online Sites without luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭freyners

awec wrote: »
    Redbreast Lusteau now.

Feel slightly weird preferring the 12>lusteau>15.

Really need to try the 15 again. Got a bottle as a gift early into my days of whiskey tasting and don't know if I left it open too long after but never liked it much

1901Rory wrote: »
    Might anyone know where i would be able to pick up a Compass Box Great King Street Artist's blend? Tried some Irish online Sites without luck.

You could ask someone to order a bottle in for you. Did that recently for something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,873 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

dobman88 wrote: »
    Anyone interested in a swap?
    I've got Roe and Co 13 year old cask strength. Have had 2 drops out of it but I wont be having any more of it. Dont know what it is but its just not to my taste at all.
    No idea if anyone would be interested or what would even be worth swapping it for but it might interest someone.

Can't help I'm afraid, I've liked all the other Roe & Co releases (basic, previous cask strength, curators series) but I wasn't keen on that one at all :(

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

2011abc wrote: »
    The Balvenie could be got in Sainsburys (Newry) as part of a triple mini set (with the Doublewood and a 15 /18?)It was predictably sweet and nothing unpleasant about it but didnt shine .Actually THIS is the set
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Balvenie-Tasting-Collection/dp/B00TPZUA6U
    The 17 was v nice but the Doublewood 12 is prob nicer than the Caribbean

This post reminded me I have this set from my last 'Cooley' raid to the North...
    I started with the Balvenie Caribbean Cask 14 year old, really liking the mix of flavours of the malt whisky honey and warming tropical fruit rum flavours.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭newbie runner

Come on Lowry.Trying something different tonight.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    This post reminded me I have this set from my last 'Cooley' raid to the North...
    I started with the Balvenie Caribbean Cask 14 year old, really liking the mix of flavours of the malt whisky honey and warming tropical fruit rum flavours.

It’s a very well reviewed whiskey, often one that wins over whisky sceptics... The first bottle my wife every bought, in fact. Balvenie is good for that in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭newbie runner

Come on Lowry.Trying something different tonight.

feel cheated though, as its a screw cap....really enjoy the sound of a cork pop each time one goes for a drop.

• Advertisement

Teelings Black Pitts tonight.

Bought a bottle of this a while ago, it's very meh IMO. Finishing the bottle off tonight and will probably never buy it again. It's just a bit bland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭JohnMcm1

I got gifted a bottle of McGregor's piss water from a client. It's not as bad as I imagined (6/10)

JohnMcm1 wrote: »
    I got gifted a bottle of McGregor's piss water from a client. It's not as bad as I imagined (6/10)

Have you had Bushmills original?
    How does it compare?

KIlbeggan small batch rye 43% abv

Yep, I get some rye. Interesting but would not buy a full bottle.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Trying it now. Drinkable but just about. The peat doesn't do anything for it. If you ever want a sample give me a shout.

Cheers, not too fussed to even try it but I'm sure I'll spot a bottle in a pub someday. The whole company annoys me, from their branding to their use of the Muff name without having anything to do with the area. Their office is in Moville and the owner lives in Barbados!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

Hi Guys. I got a bottle of ardbeg corryvreckan recently. My next bottle i'm thinking either the Uigeadail or Lagavulin 16. I've havent had either. Which one should i try?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

picachu wrote: »
    Hi Guys. I got a bottle of ardbeg corryvreckan recently. My next bottle i'm thinking either the Uigeadail or Lagavulin 16. I've havent had either. Which one should i try?

Both are amazing so it's hard to recommend one over the other. Uigeadail is a NAS whiskey so you would think it would have some younger whiskies in it compared to Lagavullin 16, so the Laga would be a bit softer... more elegant almost. The Uigeadail is also 54% so it's definitely going to have more of a punch, though probably not as much as the Corryveckan! The marriage of sherry fruit and smoke in the Uigeadail is something else but Lagavullin is maybe more easy going and maritime compared and would be better for a long evening of sipping?

Personally I would probably say go for the Lagavullin just to contrast and compare against Ardbeg, instead of going for two Ardbegs but there's no real right answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

KIlbeggan small batch rye 43% abv

Yep, I get some rye. Interesting but would not buy a full bottle.

That answers a previous query I had about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

picachu wrote: »

Lagavulin every time for me. I found the Uigeadail (actually, all Ardbegs that I've tasted) taste like mouthwash. Very medicinal.

Lagavulin is smoky, and very smooth. Like sitting beside a peat fire on a stormy winters night.

Which reminds me, I've run out of Lagavulin. Thanks for the reminder. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    Lagavulin every time for me. I found the Uigeadail (actually, all Ardbegs that I've tasted) taste like mouthwash. Very medicinal.

Lagavulin is smoky, and very smooth. Like sitting beside a peat fire on a stormy winters night.

Which reminds me, I've run out of Lagavulin. Thanks for the reminder. :D

Thanks for that, i'm sold!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement