Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

179341.jpg

For those who missed this last most dramatic-ever Irish Presidential Election 2011 Live TV debate :

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/republic-of-ireland/video-ireland-election-hopeful-sean-gallagher-has-meltdown-on-live-tv-16068486.html

Ireland election hopeful Sean Gallagher has meltdown on live TV

Tuesday, 25 October 2011

Republic of Ireland presidential hopeful Sean Gallagher endured a huge setback during a live TV debate over allegations he collected a €5,000 cheque in an envelope from a fuel smuggler.

In a major blow to his credibility, Mr Gallagher admitted he may have collected a €5,000 cheque from a businessman for a Fianna Fail fundraiser.

The Irish Independent revealed last week Mr Gallagher attended and helped organise the corporate fundraiser for former Taoiseach Brian Cowen.

Mr Gallagher was last night rattled by an accusation from Sinn Fein's Martin McGuinness, who said he had collected a cheque from the donor for a Fianna Fail corporate fundraiser in 2008.

On the RTE 'Frontline' debate, Mr Gallagher said he had "no recollection of getting a cheque". But Mr McGuinness said Mr Gallagher personally delivered a photograph to a donor and collected a cheque from him for €5,000.

When he came under intense pressure, his version of events began to change. "I may well have delivered a photograph. If he gave me a cheque, it was made out to Fianna Fail headquarters," he said.

Members of the audience in RTE began laughing at his answer.

Mr Gallagher described the businessman concerned as a "fuel smuggler" who had been investigated by the Criminal Assets Bureau and said he had Sinn Fein connections.

Yet he also admitted he made contact with the businessman about the fundraiser.

Mr Gallagher said he did not know of the businessman's past at the time.

But the latest revelation means the closing days of Mr Gallagher's campaign will be dominated by questions over his role in the fundraiser.

Sinn Fein is threatening to make the businessman's name public today.

Mr Gallagher invited donors to attend the secret Fianna Fail fundraiser in July 2008 -- just a day before disastrous tax figures showed the downturn was well under way.

The €5,000-a-head fundraiser took place on July 1, 2008 in the four-star Crowne Plaza Hotel in Dundalk, Co Louth.

The corporate donations made by the businessmen in attendance did not have to be made public by Fianna Fail because they were for €100, under the legal threshold for declaration.

Mr Gallagher continues to claim he only spoke to a small number of local businessmen at the time for a fundraiser organised by Fianna Fail.

Fianna Fail did not have to declare the donations taken at the event.

Under the law, a party has to declare a donation only if it exceeds €5,078.95, meaning it can take as many sums as it likes below that threshold and not reveal them.

For the year of 2008, Fianna Fail only declared €11,800 worth of corporate donations.

Playing down his role, Mr Gallagher has said he had been responding to a request by Fianna Fail headquarters. And he said he had not asked any of the guests for money.

"No I didn't. I was asked if I would let local business people know that the event was on, which I did. But I collected no money," he said.

Mr Gallagher said last week he was a "grassroots member" at the time and had not given any personal donation at the fundraising event.

"And even of those who turned up, I have no idea whether they made a donation or not. That would be solely a matter for Fianna Fail," the candidate said.

©belfasttelegraph.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

1271778107_nayda-290.jpg

I don't know who is worse, the women who want to give birth to this many children at once or the doctors who agree to go along with it. For those who don't know, this is Nadya Suleman aka Octomom. She already had six children before becoming pregnant with her octuplets. Surprisingly for someone who now has 14 children, she was an only child herself! I have just finished this whole thread and while it was great, I needed some light relief. Octomom is shockingly irresponsible but at least the birth of new babies is a bit happier than some of the atrocities on this thread.

I'm not knocking the thread or anything. It is a fantastic but tough read and it puts my own life into perspective. It's easy to take things for granted and get caught up whinging about how sh!te you have it and then something like this makes you realise how good you have it. Sorry for rambling, this thread has really put me in a philosophical mood :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Morlar wrote: »
    IG]

Can you elaborate on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Sykk wrote: »
    Can you elaborate on this?

It's when McGuinness slapped Gallagher over the head with the envelope that the cheque was in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

Obviously everyone's ignored this warning since I just had to delete 14 posts of chat. So allow me to make myself more clear:

This is a picture thread. Extensive discussion of the images you see here is off-topic may be taken off-thread.

Just a reminder of policy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

I know we're not meant to post here unless it's with a picture but just a little suggestion.

Pictures without an explanation can be meaningless if you don't know what's going on - when someone inevitably asks the question of what it is and gets an answer, paste the answer into the OP's picture and then delete the questions.. Just a thought.

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

what started it all.

250px-View_from_the_Window_at_Le_Gras,_Joseph_Nic%C3%A9phore_Ni%C3%A9pce.jpg

This is the first photograph ever taken by Joeseph Niépiece in 1826. Its the view from his window.

daguerre7.jpg

the first picture of a person by Louise Daguerre, who gave his name to the Daguerreotype (an early name for photographs)
    daguerreotype.jpg
    First portrait ever of Robert Cornelius
    tartan_ribbon_the_first_color_photograph_card-p137447078117676384q0yk_400.jpg

The first colour photo ever taken in 1861

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Sykk wrote: »
    I know we're not meant to post here unless it's with a picture but just a little suggestion.

Pictures without an explanation can be meaningless if you don't know what's going on - when someone inevitably asks the question of what it is and gets an answer, paste the answer into the OP's picture and then delete the questions.. Just a thought.

Cheers!

I have now edited the post for our moonbase alpha viewers :)

Genuinely surprised people didn't get that but there ya go, all fixed now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ConorLSB

s_b24_29736511.jpg

Floodwaters stretch to the horizon on the 20th of October 2011 on the outskirts of Bangkok, Thailand.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Three Soviet guerrillas in action in Russia during World War II.

a862c.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

A U.S. soldier inspects thousands of gold wedding bands taken from Jews by the Germans and stashed in the Heilbronn Salt Mines, on May 3, 1945 in Germany

s_w17_1507801_.jpg

Of the pics mentioned on the previous page this (among others it has to be said) stands out to me.... given their symbolism and what they represented or meant, to the original wearers and their devotion to "cherish" each other it may as well be a casket of human hearts:mad::(:mad::(:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ConorLSB

2006893.jpg

Pilot successfully lands a plane in Warsaw, Poland with no landing gear on the 1st of November 2011. Miraculously, the plane stayed intact and nobody was injured.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Cookie33

At least 7 people killed and 51 injured. 37 vehicles involved including at least 6 HGVs.

283175_1.jpg?ts=1320537824
    _56529828_taunton_m5_crash_464.jpg
    thumbnail.php?image_id=356258&width=400&height=240

More pictures: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/picturegalleries/8871781/M5-crash-kills-several-and-injures-dozens-near-Taunton-Somerset.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

snip

Repost from 2 pages back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

snip

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

snip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

A reminder that the thread is for photos, and not political debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Police Officer pepper-sprays seated protesters.

pepper.banner.jpg

Speaks for itself. Talk about giving ammunition to the Occupy movement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

6361218189_6d18254873_z-thumb-580x386-69781.jpg

Sickening photos from that alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

wolkow.jpg

The tip of the sharpest manmade item, a tungsten needle.
    Each orb is an individual atom.

http://thefutureofthings.com/pod/176/sharpest-manmade-object.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

HBA04.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Might not have shook the World but it certainly shook me ...

R.I.P GARY SPEED (1969-2011)

Photo from his interview on Football Focus less than a day before he took his own life...
    article-1322472327698-0EF665C400000578-420032_466x310.jpg

Last photo with a fan...
    article-2066812-0EF8611A00000578-826_634x636.jpg

Tributes come flying in for the Legend that was Gary Speed ..
    article-2066812-0EF8588700000578-411_634x411.jpgarticle-2066812-0EF858E700000578-424_306x423.jpg
    article-2066812-0EF88FD300000578-94_306x423.jpg

If you think life is just a little too tough at the moment and things are getting in on you please TALK and let someone know , or if you are worried about a family member , friend or colleague then let them know your there for them .
    http://www.aware.ie/help/information/tips_for_coping_with_depression/
    http://www.aware.ie/help/information/supporting_a_loved_one/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

I have had to delete a few posts

If you don't agree that something shook the world then that is fair enough but please don't post about it, no one wants to read it and it clutters up a thread that is important enough to warrant being kept tidy. Please report posts instead and let the Mods take care of it

As for what has been posted above sadly it may be something that happens every day but I feel that if it can be used to raise awareness of a problem that is difficult for sufferers to talk about then it might help someone and in that case it is worthwhile

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Monk-on-Fire.jpg

On 10 June 1963, a spokesperson for the Buddhists privately informed the U.S. correspondents that "something important" would happen the following morning on the road outside the Cambodian embassy in Saigon. Most of the reporters disregarded the message, since the Buddhist crisis had at that point been going on for over a month, and the next day only a few journalists turned up, including David Halberstam of The New York Times and Malcolm Browne, who was the Saigon bureau chief for the Associated Press.

Thích Quảng Đức arrived as part of a procession that had begun at a nearby pagoda. Around 350 monks and nuns marched in two phalanxes, preceded by an Austin Westminster sedan, carrying banners printed in both English and Vietnamese. They denounced the Diệm government and its policy towards Buddhists, demanding that it fulfill its promises of religious equality.Another monk offered to burn himself, but Thích Quảng Đức's seniority prevailed.

The act itself occurred at the intersection of Phan Dinh Phung Boulevard and Le Van Duyet Street. Thích Quảng Đức emerged from the car along with two other monks. One placed a cushion on the road while the second opened the trunk and took out a five-gallon gasoline can. As the marchers formed a circle around him, Thích Quảng Đức calmly seated himself in the traditional Buddhist meditative lotus position on the cushion. His colleague emptied the contents of the gasoline container over Thích Quảng Đức's head. Thích Quảng Đức rotated a string of wooden prayer beads and recited the words Nam Mô A Di Đà Phật ("homage to Amitabha Buddha") before striking a match and dropping it on himself. Flames consumed his robes and flesh, and black oily smoke emanated from his burning body.

The last words of Thích Quảng Đức before his self-immolation were documented in a letter he had left:

Before closing my eyes and moving towards the vision of the Buddha, I respectfully plead to President Ngo Dinh Diem to take a mind of compassion towards the people of the nation and implement religious equality to maintain the strength of the homeland eternally. I call the venerables, reverends, members of the sangha and the lay Buddhists to organise in solidarity to make sacrifices to protect Buddhism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭RichT

America in Pictures (The story of Life Magazine) is on BBC FOUR this Thursday 1st December.

Apologies for not posting a pic, but I think followers of this thread would be interested in this, and as BBC THREE and FOUR have only been added relatively recently to the EPG (Channels 229 and 230), this could easily be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

RichT wrote: »
    America in Pictures (The story of Life Magazine) is on BBC FOUR this Thursday 1st December.

Apologies for not posting a pic, but I think followers of this thread would be interested in this, and as BBC THREE and FOUR have only been added relatively recently to the EPG (Channels 229 and 230), this could easily be missed.

Also on Friday 2 December 9pm on BBC HD

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Skulldigger

s_n08_4102011-.jpg

An unexpected side-effect of the 2010 flooding in parts of Sindh, Pakistan, was that millions of spiders climbed up into the trees to escape the rising flood waters; because of the scale of the flooding and the fact that the water took so long to recede, many trees became cocooned in spider's webs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

^^^^ When I first saw the picture I thought it was some weird photoshop. After reading the description I keep feeling spiders all over me lol

Advertisement