Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My wisdom tooth extraction experience

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

Can anyone advise what are the costs related to removing wisdom teeth...i have swelling on my gums and looks like a wisdom teeth...does health insurance cover any costs ? Do i need to start with my GP ? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Im still waiting to get mine done, im getting them done publicly.

I had a consultation in Jan and I was told id be waiting around two months before id be called to get them out, have not heard a thing since, after being told 2 months im in my fourth month of waiting now, is this normal?
    Yes I would think so to be honest. If you ask your dentist they should be able to give you a better idea of the waiting time. I have health insurance so was seen fairly quickly.
    tharmor wrote: »
    Can anyone advise what are the costs related to removing wisdom teeth...i have swelling on my gums and looks like a wisdom teeth...does health insurance cover any costs ? Do i need to start with my GP ? Thanks
    What costs your health insurance will cover depends on what policy you have and is quite variable,but yes it should go a long way towards it. You start with your regular Dentist and take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

I had my wisdom teeth removed nearly 2 weeks ago and i have a query for people who have had it done. Did your surgeon do a follow up with you and if they did how long after the surgery did they see you as i have had no contact from them. I thought this would have been good practice after a surgery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

boydkev wrote: »
    I had my wisdom teeth removed nearly 2 weeks ago and i have a query for people who have had it done. Did your surgeon do a follow up with you and if they did how long after the surgery did they see you as i have had no contact from them. I thought this would have been good practice after a surgery.

Yeah, I had to make an appointment about 1 - 2 weeks after the op. I had stitches though. They were meant to be dissolvable but when I went in they were dissolving too slowly (I think) and she pulled them out (sounds worse than it actually was).

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Laurel_Patente

boydkev wrote: »

My surgeon arranged for a follow up consultation a week after but I had no complications or pain really so we didn't bother going through with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭cruiser202006

Got 4 wisdom teeth out yesterday and a 2nd molar and can honestly say it cudnt have went better. Was up dressed and walkin around after an hour and no pain. Small bit of swelling today but nothin major. Don't know what I was worried about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Got a call today out of nowhere to get mine out, tomorrow at 11 in Cork.

Short notice but they had a cancellation and offered me the place.

Only problem is my birthday is this friday, was hoping and looking forward to going out this Saturday for it but I'll hardly be able now, any chance at all of recovering enough in time? or am I out of luck.

Got a call today out of nowhere to get mine out, tomorrow at 11 in Cork.

Short notice but they had a cancellation and offered me the place.

Only problem is my birthday is this friday, was hoping and looking forward to going out this Saturday for it but I'll hardly be able now, any chance at all of recovering enough in time? or am I out of luck.

How many are ya getting out? If it is just one and you don't need much pain relief you will be ok, but if you are still hopped up on painkillers and antibiotics I wouldn't recommend it.

How many are ya getting out? If it is just one and you don't need much pain relief you will be ok, but if you are still hopped up on painkillers and antibiotics I wouldn't recommend it.

I just got the one out.

no pain at the moment, although i am taking solpadol at the moment, it just feels a bit odd, its hard to describe. I ate a dinner today no problems.

I feel i could nearly get back to my normal eating habits but am still a bit concerned about dry socket, can't that happen a few days after the tooth was pulled?

I just got the one out.

no pain at the moment, although i am taking solpadol at the moment, it just feels a bit odd, its hard to describe. I ate a dinner today no problems.

I feel i could nearly get back to my normal eating habits but am still a bit concerned about dry socket, can't that happen a few days after the tooth was pulled?

Yep it can you are most at risk within the first 72 hours. As long as you follow the post operative instructions given to you by your dentist (Not smoking, not rinsing on the first day for fear of displacing it, avoiding hot or cold foods) you should greatly reduce your chances of getting it. I was wild paranoid about getting it but took those steps and I was grand.

Sure look, you know your own body and pain threshold but it sounds as if you are getting out of it fairly ok so weekend pints could be an option yet!

• Advertisement

I found the Solpadol really tough on my stomach, after a few days my pharmacist gave me Solpadiene which have less codeine in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

I'm terrified of Dentists and haven't been in 15 years.

I take good care of my teeth though, but just have this fear of going and
    them telling me I need this and that done for 20k ....

im finding the solpadol fine on the stomach although im taking them just before or after food.

All in all the whole thing wasn't a bad experience at all really, the only pain i had was coming home in the car and that went after i took my first round of pain killers.

Got my lower one on the left hand side taken out in March this year but dentist said that my top right one will have to come out sooner rather than later.

It isn't impacted so he could do it in there but will still cost a good bit.

I'm just wondering, when does your medical card entitlement to your two fillings kick in again if you have had fillings done in the past 12 months?

For example, I had two fillings done last August (2014) for free on the card, by the time August 2015 rolls around will I be entitled to 2 fillings again? I'm asking this as I know if I go to get the wisdom tooth out he's going to ask me to get fillings done at the same time...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Got my lower one on the left hand side taken out in March this year but dentist said that my top right one will have to come out sooner rather than later.

It isn't impacted so he could do it in there but will still cost a good bit.

I'm just wondering, when does your medical card entitlement to your two fillings kick in again if you have had fillings done in the past 12 months?

For example, I had two fillings done last August (2014) for free on the card, by the time August 2015 rolls around will I be entitled to 2 fillings again? I'm asking this as I know if I go to get the wisdom tooth out he's going to ask me to get fillings done at the same time...

If it is a standard extraction, why won't your medical card cover it with your dentist??

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

Hi guys- was told today that I need my 4 wisdom teeth out. The extraction itself is covered by the trusty ol' Aviva, but I am liable for consultation fee (€130) and the sedation, if I choose to get it (€270). Is this a normal enough price to be paying?

mejulie805 wrote: »
    Hi guys- was told today that I need my 4 wisdom teeth out. The extraction itself is covered by the trusty ol' Aviva, but I am liable for consultation fee (€130) and the sedation, if I choose to get it (€270). Is this a normal enough price to be paying?

Yes that sounds accurate to me. Depending on your health insurance policy, you might be able to claim some of that back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭burnsey1987

I was supposed to have them removed this month in Barrington's Hospital but I cancelled that due to the surgeon's requirement that I have a general anaesthetic.

I will be having my upper two removed next month at my new dentist's office in Limerick city. I will be having local anaesthetic only.

He reckons it should be an easy enough procedure, about 30 minutes tops. According to him, extracting the lower two is not really a good idea as it isn't worth the risk of permanent nerve damage given that they are not causing trouble at the minute and unlikely to do so. Though he did advise to get an x-ray every couple of years just to make sure they are not doing anything.

Anyways, I will post my experience after the procedure

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Had my lower right removed last Wednesday - surgically under local anaesthetic due to horizontal impaction. All went well, in and out within 30 mins no pain during or after. A few stitches and €350 lighter it came out kicking and in two pieces!

But 5 days after the pain is kicking in with the pain killers (Tylex and Ponstan) not taking the edge off at all. I may give them a shout to see if it's normal with surgical extraction, as I googled it (and regretted it!!!) now I'm thinking it might be dry socket as I woke up a few mornings with a dry mouth like after a night on the town!

Been keeping things clean, left it alone the first day and been rinsing 4 times a day since with corsodil. Soft food for the first few days sucked (sick of soup, noodles and mashed spuds!) made great progress nibblin on a pizza the other day but eating on one side is getting on me nerves.

Those painkillers aren't strong enough for post surgery pain. Go to your pharmacist and you should be able to get something better without prescription. but if not you'll need to see a Doctor but if you think you have a dry socket you need to have it seen to.

• Advertisement

Increasing pain at this stage sounds like a dry socket,

Call the clinic to get an appointment/ advice
    macroman wrote: »
    Had my lower right removed last Wednesday - surgically under local anaesthetic due to horizontal impaction. All went well, in and out within 30 mins no pain during or after. A few stitches and €350 lighter it came out kicking and in two pieces!

But 5 days after the pain is kicking in with the pain killers (Tylex and Ponstan) not taking the edge off at all. I may give them a shout to see if it's normal with surgical extraction, as I googled it (and regretted it!!!) now I'm thinking it might be dry socket as I woke up a few mornings with a dry mouth like after a night on the town!

Been keeping things clean, left it alone the first day and been rinsing 4 times a day since with corsodil. Soft food for the first few days sucked (sick of soup, noodles and mashed spuds!) made great progress nibblin on a pizza the other day but eating on one side is getting on me nerves.

Okay, so it's just over a week since I had my upper two wisdom teeth removed, one of which was causing bouts of severe nerve pain on one side of my face and pushing against a neighboring tooth, the other not causing any discomfort but very likely to become problematic.

Dentist gave me two blasts of novocaine into the gum and after about three minutes of twisting and pulling the easier of the two was out. He then asked me did I want the second (the real offender) taken out there and then or if I would prefer to leave it for another day. I said to go for it and get it over and done with. Two hits of local anesthetic again and the tooth was out in about ten minutes this time (the second was a lot more stubborn).

The nurse then got rid of any remaining blood with the vacuum pump and packed the sockets with cotton. I was then told to go and sit down for about fifteen minutes. After that the hygienist took a look to make sure everything was clotting okay, gave me a follow up appointment for two weeks later and then I walked home.

I wasn't prescribed any antibiotics as I did not have any infection, nor do I have any history of difficulty fighting them off. The nurse suggested that I take an OTC painkiller when I get home for when the novocaine wore off, however I didn't do this (I have a serious aversion to taking pain-relief medications, where I got it I have no idea but that's just how it is). I did not notice any real discomfort that evening although sleeping partially sitting up (to speed up the clotting process) wasn't so easy.

The next day I drove to Kilkee. I had very noticeable pain and tenderness as well as some tingling on the right hand site of my face where the troublesome one had been, although the latter did not last for more than a few hours. I ate soft foods (mainly tuna flakes, dressed crab, soft bread and juiced veg) for the two days after and made sure to rinse with plenty of salt water. Midway through the second day after the procedure I was pretty much back to normal. There was no indication of an infection or dry socket. I still had pain on each side of my jaw but it didn't stop me from swimming in the ocean and walking long distances during the day and meeting up with friends in the evenings.

The only issue is that my health insurance policy will not cover the 240 euro bill. They would have covered the entire cost if I had the procedure done in hospital under general anesthetic, but there was no way on earth I was going to have the procedure done in such an unnecessary fashion.

I returned to work this Monday and as of yesterday I am pretty much completely pain free. So, overall a positive experience.

Sounds like an overall good experience.

But Just to clarify, having treatment in hospital or under GA does not mean that your insurance covers the treatment. Your insurance generally covers treatment if the teeth are "impacted or unerupted" and that is the case for LA too. So if the teeth were impacted or unerupted then they could have been covered, if not then you would have to pay....
    Okay, so it's just over a week since I had my upper two wisdom teeth removed, one of which was causing bouts of severe nerve pain on one side of my face and pushing against a neighboring tooth, the other not causing any discomfort but very likely to become problematic.

Dentist gave me two blasts of novocaine into the gum and after about three minutes of twisting and pulling the easier of the two was out. He then asked me did I want the second (the real offender) taken out there and then or if I would prefer to leave it for another day. I said to go for it and get it over and done with. Two hits of local anesthetic again and the tooth was out in about ten minutes this time (the second was a lot more stubborn).

The nurse then got rid of any remaining blood with the vacuum pump and packed the sockets with cotton. I was then told to go and sit down for about fifteen minutes. After that the hygienist took a look to make sure everything was clotting okay, gave me a follow up appointment for two weeks later and then I walked home.

I wasn't prescribed any antibiotics as I did not have any infection, nor do I have any history of difficulty fighting them off. The nurse suggested that I take an OTC painkiller when I get home for when the novocaine wore off, however I didn't do this (I have a serious aversion to taking pain-relief medications, where I got it I have no idea but that's just how it is). I did not notice any real discomfort that evening although sleeping partially sitting up (to speed up the clotting process) wasn't so easy.

The next day I drove to Kilkee. I had very noticeable pain and tenderness as well as some tingling on the right hand site of my face where the troublesome one had been, although the latter did not last for more than a few hours. I ate soft foods (mainly tuna flakes, dressed crab, soft bread and juiced veg) for the two days after and made sure to rinse with plenty of salt water. Midway through the second day after the procedure I was pretty much back to normal. There was no indication of an infection or dry socket. I still had pain on each side of my jaw but it didn't stop me from swimming in the ocean and walking long distances during the day and meeting up with friends in the evenings.

The only issue is that my health insurance policy will not cover the 240 euro bill. They would have covered the entire cost if I had the procedure done in hospital under general anesthetic, but there was no way on earth I was going to have the procedure done in such an unnecessary fashion.

I returned to work this Monday and as of yesterday I am pretty much completely pain free. So, overall a positive experience.

Sounds like an overall good experience.

But Just to clarify, having treatment in hospital or under GA does not mean that your insurance covers the treatment. Your insurance generally covers treatment if the teeth are "impacted or unerupted" and that is the case for LA too. So if the teeth were impacted or unerupted then they could have been covered, if not then you would have to pay....

Right, I see. I was only going by what the Insurance agent told me over the phone.

The two lower teeth which are going to be left as they are (at least for the time being) are horizontal but not impacted, and covered by bone.

The uppers which I had removed were not covered by bone though they were below the gumline and impacting the neighboring teeth at a 45 degree angle.

So you are saying that my insurance should cover the procedure?

Sounds like all of them are/were impacted...
    Right, I see. I was only going by what the Insurance agent told me over the phone.

The two lower teeth which are going to be left as they are (at least for the time being) are horizontal but not impacted, and covered by bone.

The uppers which I had removed were not covered by bone though they were below the gumline and impacting the neighboring teeth at a 45 degree angle.

So you are saying that my insurance should cover the procedure?

Sounds like all of them are/were impacted...

So in that case should I get back in contact with Aviva and see what I should be able to claim?

So in that case should I get back in contact with Aviva and see what I should be able to claim?

I don't really know how it works after the fact as I do it the other way around...
    IF the teeth were impacted aviva MAY decided to reunburse some money to you but you'd need to discuss with them...

I don't really know how it works after the fact as I do it the other way around...
    IF the teeth were impacted aviva MAY decided to reunburse some money to you but you'd need to discuss with them...

Better give them a bell so, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

So got my 4 wisdom teeth out Friday 18th, and started back in work today! Extraction was done under general anesthetic, which I chose due to the price and the cost being covered by my insurance. It was painful when I woke up but not bad for the rest of the day.

When the pain got worse from Sunday I was really worried I might have dry socket, but thankfully the gums were just inflamed. All stitches bar 1 removed on Thursday, top left kept in as some jawbone was removed with extraction and trying to give that more time to heal.

Overall it was fine, tylex and vimovo helping along the way. Now all I have to worry about are the gaping holes in my mouth that are damn near impossible to keep clean and clear- think I am going to buy a water flosser to blast them clean.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭vonbarracuda

Had my back left wisdom and the big tooth next to it out yesterday in dentist. Was fairly nervous but the provider itself man grand . On day 2 now and just pain in arse trying to eat with my face being massive!

Advertisement