Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storm Hannah : Fri 26 - Sat 27 April 2019

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Quote from RTE

'Head of Forecasting at Met Éireann, Evelyn Cusack, said winds are expected to gust up to 150km per hour in parts of west Galway and the Aran Islands, and also along exposed parts of the coastline in counties Kerry, Cork and Waterford.

Ms Cusack said the worst of the weather would be 'short-lived', and was not expected to include any river flooding.

But she said there was a risk of 'coastal damage' and said there was a possibility that there could be some coastal flooding and local surface flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Getting gusty in Tralee now. Some driving rain about 30 mins ago. She's on her way....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Getting gusty in Tralee now. Some driving rain about 30 mins ago. She's on her way....

Yes noticibly picking up in the last 30 mins after that heavy burst of rain went through.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

All calm here; ocean flat. A breeze but no more and bitterly cold. Low dark clouds in all directions.... west mayo offshore island

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

Rain has stopped in allihies and still calm. Where's the storm??

I persume a red would have been issued by now for Cork and Kerry if it was going to? Heading out now on an 1hr 30min trip. I swear that boy better pass his driving test soon!

theres another 10 hours of warning left..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

And so it begins even though we’re barely into the event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

It's definitely beginning in Cork City anyway. There's been a pick up in the wind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Graces7 wrote: »
    All calm here; ocean flat. A breeze but no more and bitterly cold. Low dark clouds in all directions.... west mayo offshore island
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I persume a red would have been issued by now for Cork and Kerry if it was going to? Heading out now on an 1hr 30min trip. I swear that boy better pass his driving test soon!

Red warnings have been issued during an event like during Storm Darwin. Unlikely yes but possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

I find it amazing though. I was in Cork City Centre earlier on and there were various people giving out about Met Éireann and saying that they shouldn't warn at all as it just reduces shopping footfall and that how back in the day we'd have just called it a breezy day and so on.

I think some people would just complain about absolutely anything though. There's no pleasing them.

I don't really think there's much point in debating it on the threads here as it's just one of those things that will never be resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

RobertKK wrote:
    I'm on a hill facing the northwest so this is not ideal, sticking out like a sore thumb tonight.

Its southerly south west wind

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Birtles

Suppose I had better avoid the Tarbert-Killimer Ferry this eve??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭2016

Hedgelayer wrote: »
    Starting to whip up now near Bunratty

Cycling home from work from Limerick City - 20km out into Clare. Guess I should be leaving soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭endainoz

All animals still inside fed and timber stocked up, phone and laptop charged, all set for you Hannah! Bring it on!

endainoz wrote: »
    All animals still inside fed and timber stocked up, phone and laptop charged, all set for you Hannah! Bring it on!

Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

I'm very surprised that Dublin is not at least yellow considering that the UK met has issued warnings for North Wales and the English coastline opposite Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭endainoz

Where are you based?

Doolin, the storms are always that bit stronger around here being so close to the coast. Should be fun! Assuming there's no loss of life or severe damage of course.

• Advertisement

Kerry gone red.

Met Eireann have updated their national forecast and advised extreme caution required on Clare, Kerry and Galway coastline later this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Red - Wind warning for Kerry

Northwesterly winds, associated with Storm Hannah, will reach mean speeds in excess of 80km/h with violent gusts of 130 to 150 km/h in places this evening between 6pm and 8pm.

Valid: Friday 26 April 2019 18:00 to Friday 26 April 2019 20:00

Issued: Friday 26 April 2019 15:00

Updated: Friday 26 April 201

Status Red - Wind warning for Kerry
    Northwesterly winds, associated with Storm Hannah, will reach mean speeds in excess of 80km/h with violent gusts of 130 to 150 km/h in places this evening between 6pm and 8pm.

Valid: Friday 26 April 2019 18:00 to Friday 26 April 2019 20:00

Issued: Friday 26 April 2019 15:00

Updated: Friday 26 April 2019 15:00

• Registered Users Posts: 37 YeaYeaSure

lab man wrote: »
    Its southerly south west wind

It's northwesterly. During the roughest parts for Kerry/Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭bazlers

Is the track of the storm pretty much nailed at this time frame?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Ah come on Cork, for God's sake! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Have to travel to work this evening between 6 and 8pm in North Cork. Will met.ie ever hurry up and give cork a red warning so I can phone in and cancel !!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Birtles wrote: »
    Suppose I had better avoid the Tarbert-Killimer Ferry this eve??!!

It's running until 6pm, then it's cancelled thereafter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Sting jet looks likely and heading for Kerry/Clare. Good calls with the red warnings this time.

attachment.php?attachmentid=478743&stc=1&d=1556289507

Advertisement