Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The 'I've successfully ordered a PS5' thread

• 05-10-2020 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭

Mod note: This thread is for those who've successfully ordered a PS5 and have any updates or questions about their order.

There is a thread specifically for stock updates here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058133220 Please read the first post before posting there.

No discussion of scalping or reselling, please.

Ok, I've decided to make this mainly because the preorder stuff is still taking up too much of the PS5 thread. If it's ok with mods, please post any further PS5 pre-order chat in here, so we can keep the PS5 thread free for updates re: the console and games.

Last I'm aware, there's not many, if any, places left to pre-order for launch, unless further stock is received. If people would like to post where they got their pre-order recently, or any suggestions to where it may be possible to get one, please post below.

I pre-ordered mine in July in GameStop and no idea if I'll have it for launch.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Maybe post a link in the main PS5 thread as ones probably have notifications set up for that thread for when more go live.

I preordered mine with Smyths in the first batch thanks to Wing126

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Spooch

Anyone received contact from Gamestop if their pre order will be available launch day?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Kamu

I pre-ordered mine in Smyths in the second batch thanks to the main PS5 thread.

I set up an account with Smyths and pore-ordered Mile Morales a couple of days before the second batch went live so my card and delivery details were saved already to streamline the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Spooch wrote: »
    Anyone received contact from Gamestop if their pre order will be available launch day?

Nothing from my store, but I didn't call in at the weekend. Saw someone say in the main PS5 thread they pre-ordered around July and their store said they should get one on release, phonecalls should be happening soon to update those who did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

Nothing from my store, but I didn't call in at the weekend. Saw someone say in the main PS5 thread they pre-ordered around July and their store said they should get one on release, phonecalls should be happening soon to update those who did.

Now I'm one of the rare few on boards, that does not have a problem with
    GS at all. Yes they can be pricey on games, etc. But I've pre-ordered most
    consoles with them and always got them with out issue. In fact usually a
    day ahead of release day....keep that to yourselves:P

I think you can take most of the answers from in store staff, with a large rock of salt. I don't think they will have a realistic answer, until closer to the date.

I was in-store last week trading-in and paying off on my Series X and I asked about my in-store PS5 pre-order (placed at the start of January) and my
    online PS5 pre-order (placed within minutes of the link going live on GS).

While he could guarantee the Series X, he couldn't really guarantee my online PS5 order. But said my in-store PS5 order would likely be ok.

So over the weekend I wrote a mail to GS and got a reply today, which was kinda the opposite of what the nice( I must add) shop assistant had said.

I hope me quoting the email here won't bother the person that responded to
    me. Even though there's not much too it.
    Thank you for contacting GameStop Customer Service,

If you have placed your pre-order in store, the staff will be contacting you in the coming weeks regarding the availability of your order.

As there is potential for a lot of things to change before the release date, we cannot promise any one customer that their order will be available on launch day.
    Your online order was however placed quite early, so it is likely that you would be in the earlier waves.

Customers who would have to wait until 2021 were contacted via email shortly after the Twitter announcement.

So it's all still more or less up in the air. The Twitter announcement he's referring to was one I linked from the GS Twitter account about 10 or so days ago. I'll link the Tweet below here.

https://twitter.com/GameStopIE/status/1309484015997550592?s=20

As we should expect, they probably have some idea. But not all is set in stone
    yet. If the last part of the email I quoted is accurate, it should provide comfort to some. Cheers

• Advertisement

I've no issue with GS myself, I think it's all down to which store it is and the staff there. Luckily, the main stores I deal with (William St and Parkway in Limerick, and the one in City Square in Waterford) were staffed by actual gamers, or at the very least competent staff who seemed to have a genuine interest in working there). I have been to a few other stores alright where the push to upsell is there, but as they didn't know me they had to ask. I still wouldn't accept ignorance or just bad service in general, but I've been lucky to always have good service. The manager in William St is worth a mention though, he has a genuine interest and does try the upsell stuff, but not in a pushy way and accepts your first answer.

Anyway, not a GS thread, but I'm still hopeful I'll get it at launch. It would piss me off no end if someone who pre-ordered at midnight at the announcement got one before me, so if I'm left without a console and someone gets one in another GS with a later pre-order, it would genuinely make me shop elsewhere, after mainly shopping in GS since they opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

I've no issue with GS myself, I think it's all down to which store it is and the staff there. Luckily, the main stores I deal with (William St and Parkway in Limerick, and the one in City Square in Waterford) were staffed by actual gamers, or at the very least competent staff who seemed to have a genuine interest in working there). I have been to a few other stores alright where the push to upsell is there, but as they didn't know me they had to ask. I still wouldn't accept ignorance or just bad service in general, but I've been lucky to always have good service. The manager in William St is worth a mention though, he has a genuine interest and does try the upsell stuff, but not in a pushy way and accepts your first answer.

Anyway, not a GS thread, but I'm still hopeful I'll get it at launch. It would piss me off no end if someone who pre-ordered at midnight at the announcement got one before me, so if I'm left without a console and someone gets one in another GS with a later pre-order, it would genuinely make me shop elsewhere, after mainly shopping in GS since they opened.
    The annoying thing is with gamestop you would think they would know the quota they have of the PS5s so then break it down per store then go by the list they have so 1st on it etc. Are 1st in line. They should know that we'll by now and those people should of been contacted.

I should add I'm referring to Waterford. Been going there since it opened, way back. The store manager Richie is one of the nicest guys you'll meet. Now I'll stop on the GS talk too.

bazzz wrote: »
    I should add I'm referring to Waterford. Been going there since it opened, way back. The store manager Richie is one of the nicest guys you'll meet. Now I'll stop on the GS talk too.

Tell him the ginger Garda from a few years back says hi! He should know who i'm talking about. Sound lad indeed, great time for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

The problem with GS is that they have been taking €50 pre-orders for over a year without any guarantee that you will get your console day 1, that is just incompetent

• Advertisement

Markitron wrote: »
    The problem with GS is that they have been taking €50 pre-orders for over a year without any guarantee that you will get your console day 1, that is just incompetent

I don't see the issue with the €50 deposit? I put the deposit down in January
    for both XSX and PS5, knowing that nothing was definite. Also knowing
    that this was just GS themselves doing it. It was my decision, GS didn't drag
    me in the door and say.... If you really want a PS5, you better come in now and
    pay us €50.

for both XSX and PS5, knowing that nothing was definite. Also knowing
    that this was just GS themselves doing it. It was my decision, GS didn't drag
    me in the door and say.... If you really want a PS5, you better come in now and
    pay us €50.

That is nice for you but a lot of other people are going to be pissed off when the console they pre-ordered months and months ago won't be there for them on day one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

That is nice for you but a lot of other people are going to be pissed off when the console they pre-ordered months and months ago won't be there for them on day one.

The alternative is they're back at zero hoping to be quick enough to grab the limited pre-orders that pop up.

Varik wrote: »
    The alternative is they're back at zero hoping to be quick enough to grab the limited pre-orders that pop up.

For all they know they could be close to zero as is

For all they know they could be close to zero as is

I understand you have a hatred/dislike for GS and I respect your opinion. Hopefully I'm still keeping on topic here. I'm 46 and have been old and bold enough to remember all the console launches.

People have the same fears, dislikes and uncertainty every time it comes console pre-orders/launches.

A couple of examples from say the PS4.

People were paying €20 deposits for their PS4 pre-orders in GS back then.

The usual demand and supply uncertainty, was the same.

People were worrying that the likes of GS going under, before the console launched.

While this is 2020 and circumstances have changed, digital is more a thing and GS have been closing stores (mostly in the states).
    Not too much has changed in regards the uncertainty and launch day worries.

Also I'm one of those that always wants the new tech, as soon as it launches. Or even before launch, if a opportunity presents itself.
    I'm well aware that I might not get my pre-order on day 1 and will be
    as disappointed as anyone else. But realistically I know I'll have it at some stage.

I understand you have a hatred/dislike for GS and I respect your opinion. Hopefully I'm still keeping on topic here. I'm 46 and have been old and bold enough to remember all the console launches.

My dislike for Gamestop is very much on topic tbf, as this is about pre-ordering a PS5 and they have made an absolute mess of it by taking far more pre-orders than they could fulfill.

Fwiw I am old enough to have been around for every console launch since the N64, and this is the most incompetence I have ever seen from any major retailer in that time.

My dislike for Gamestop is very much on topic tbf, as this is about pre-ordering a PS5 and they have made an absolute mess of it by taking far more pre-orders than they could fulfill.

Fwiw I am old enough to have been around for every console launch since the N64, and this is the most incompetence I have ever seen from any major retailer in that time.

I said I respected your opinion! I didn't mention once that you were off topic.
    I said hopefully I wasn't going off topic.
    You skated over my mentions of this happening every time round.
    You could say Sony ****ed up, by telling end users
    that they would announce when the pre-orders were going live. To give them
    time to prepare and that went tits-up. I'm only stating facts, I didn't dream all
    this. I'm not having a go at you.

time to prepare and that went tits-up. I'm only stating facts, I didn't dream all

Sony absolutely ****ed up, its not a zero sum game. I didn't skate over your mentions of this happening every time, I noted that I had been around for a lot of console launches and that this is the worst I have ever seen a retailer act - which it is.

All I have done is rightly criticise GS for pursuing a pre-order policy which will leave many people extremely disappointed this Christmas, and you are defending them with whataboutery arguments. They need to do better.

and you are defending them with whataboutery arguments. They need to do better.

I give up. whataboutery?...Anything I said are true facts and I posted example links. I was being reasonable with you.
    I'm not going to take up anymore thread space with this.

I'll be delighted if my PS5 comes in launch day. I'm sure there
    will be plenty disappointed people at Christmas.
    Not just with GS pre-orders, but with many other retailers. Another fact, that always happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,199 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I have to agree largely with Markitron, GS seems to have taken in more pre-orders than consoles they were going to be allocated before Sony announced the price/date. There are people who pre-ordered before September being told by Gamestop that they might not get their console until after Xmas because they took in so many pre-orders, and those pre-orders all required a €50 deposit too, which no other retailers required.

Gamestop absolutely failed at organising and allocating their own stock even outside of Sony's messup of not giving enough notice for the official pre-orders.

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    I have to agree largely with Markitron, GS seems to have taken in more pre-orders than consoles they were going to be allocated before Sony announced the price/date. There are people who pre-ordered before September being told by Gamestop that they might not get their console until after Xmas because they took in so many pre-orders, and those pre-orders all required a €50 deposit too, which no other retailers required.

Gamestop absolutely failed at organising and allocating their own stock even outside of Sony's messup of not giving enough notice for the official pre-orders.

Also don't forget that after the first 'official' batch of pre-orders, GS were charging 50 euro for people to join a queue for a possible pre-order.

Kamu wrote: »
    Also don't forget that after the first 'official' batch of pre-orders, GS were charging 50 euro for people to join a queue for a possible pre-order.

Yea this is probably even worse.

Kamu wrote: »

I pre-ordered online the minute GS put the pre-order and I didn't have to pay a €50 deposit or authorisation fee. My PayPal has the full price on hold, awaiting the completion from GS. I won't know if I secured either of my orders,
    probably until a week or two before release. Just like most people waiting. I just always temper my expectations, until then.

As I mentioned earlier, I get some people dislike GS. But nobody is forcing anyone to shop there.
    As with all console releases, there's always going to be some unhappy people.
    Some seem to be clutching at straws, when it comes to GS and hatred.
    Anyway you're entitled to your opinion as I said to the other chap and I respect that. But as long as it's the truth.

Edit :For some reason my brain left out the "after" bit in your sentence. So I apologise on that. But I still don't see an issue, that they put up a queue system and wanted a €50 deposit for it.
    Like as soon as more consoles become available, you're in a queue and you'll get your PS5 at some stage. Yes they may have oversold the initial allocation, so did other retailers in fairness. It happens all the time.

I'll say this again nobody is forcing anyone to shop in GS. Some of the comments regarding them are just petty and some can't see the wood for the trees..

The more retailers that are available for the likes of console pre-orders online or bricks and mortar. The more people have a chance of securing one and online traffic is spread around.

This is not true, I pre-ordered online the minute GS put the pre-order and I didn't have to pay a €50 deposit or authorisation fee. My PayPal has the full price on hold, awaiting the completion from GS.

As I mentioned earlier, I get some people dislike GS. But nobody is forcing anyone to shop there.
    As with all console releases, there's always going to be some unhappy people.
    Some seem to be clutching at straws, when it comes to GS and hatred.
    Anyway you're entitled to your opinion as I said to the other chap and I respect that. But as long as it's the truth.

They took down their PS5 pre-order page, but here it is for the X Box Series X,
    https://www.gamestop.ie/Xbox%20Series/Games/75229 charging 50 euro to join a queue for a console that has no guarantee to receive at launch for the people who already pre-ordered, let alone anyone that joins that queue now.

I agree with you, no one is forcing you to shop there, and if you do it is up to you to do some due diligence, and I in no way blame the actual shop workers.

However, the management of GameStop should have a hard look at themselves.

Oh, and just to mention I hope you get your pre-order without issue and enjoy the new console, at the end of the day, I just can't wait to play some new gen games!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,148 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Maybe time is my enemy but I don't remember the PS3 launch but I have the launch Fat version of it. I don't remember the PS4 launch (€20 deposit I think in GS) but I got mine on Game UK at the time. I do remember the PS5 issues and got a disc one on release 2 from Smyths. When the PS6 comes out will I remember this PS5 mess, probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭jvrk

If be fairly pissed if didn't get a console preordered last November and have it fully paid of in GS in the parkway. When I preordered it I was 2nd person to do so. Like most got the call about which console I wanted but silence since then even if ask in store.

Berty wrote: »
    Maybe time is my enemy but I don't remember the PS3 launch but I have the launch Fat version of it. I don't remember the PS4 launch (€20 deposit I think in GS) but I got mine on Game UK at the time. I do remember the PS5 issues and got a disc one on release 2 from Smyths. When the PS6 comes out will I remember this PS5 mess, probably not.

The PS3 was fully stocked from day 1 (probably because only Jeff Bezos could afford one) so everyone got their pre-orders day 1.

I pre-ordered the PS4 in GS in June 2013 after the price/ launch date were announced and pre-orders were officially open. It was a €20 pre-order and at all times I was told I would get it on day 1, which I did.

There are people that paid 150% of what I paid for my PS4 pre-order, earlier than my PS4 pre-order, and these people still don't know if they are getting it day 1. That is a shambles by GS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

for both XSX and PS5, knowing that nothing was definite.

I think this is part of the problem, majority of the people who paid are expecting it on day 1, this is no fault of gamestop really but they also need to considering with the majority of products that you preoder you get them on day 1. They could easily have done the exact same as others and not required a €50 deposit which i think compounds the believe of most people they will get it on day 1, again this is on the consumer but stupid practice by gamestop and unnecessary.

Consumer behaviour has got worse over time not better and gamestop should of had the cop on to not allow over allocation, it was more than likely the suits who made these decisions but will be the staff who bear the brunt.

I myself have had run ins with them cancelling orders after taking money so I may be slightly biased but the above still rings true,

• Registered Users Posts: 33,199 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think Gamestop would have been better only taking enough preorders to match their allocation of stock from the PS4/XB1 launches (even just to use that as a benchmark) until they actually knew how many consoles they'd be getting at launch. That's the issue. They took in far too many preorders, and now people who thought they'd be getting their console at launch and therefore didn't try preorder one elsewhere like Smyths are being told they may not get their console until after launch, which could even be after Xmas given how many preorders they took in.

Most retailers limited the number of preorders they accepted. Gamestop didn't until it was too late, and that has left some of their customers who preordered relatively early now having to scramble to get one elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I have been out of the preorder loop for a while as I was lucky to get one from the first batch but I have a few people asking me about getting a ps5 for their little one off Santa. Is it looking most likely to reserve in argos night before, queue up outside harvey normans/currys morning of or somewhere else that might be doing it?

Advertisement