Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Demon's Souls - PS5

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Great chat with the bluepoint devs. Great to hear their thoughts on Cinematic mode vs performance mode. Cinematic being full 4k at 30fps while performance is 1440p at 60fps. Devs said it's very hard to see the difference in resolution even on a big tv but if you go from 60fps to 30fps, you will notice a big difference.

Think I'll be sticking to performance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

1440p but the ps5 can't do 1440p?

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Went back and listened again

"It's a dynamic 4k Based on a 1440p base generated frame that gets temporarily combined into a 4k frame buffer and you get full 4k ui". An example was the character character creation in performance mode will be 4k 60fps but the resolution drops when you get to gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Retr0gamer wrote: »

All of Naughty Dog's games run at 1440p on the Pro and that doesn't have a 1440p output either, it's actually quite common to wrap 1440p in a 4K output. I am expecting pretty much every 120 fps mode on PS5 to run at either 1080p or 1440p.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

See it's reviewing well :)

Arrived yesterday and was always getting it as have played all the soulsbourne games except this.

Still good to see good reviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,648 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

petes wrote: »
    See it's reviewing well :)

Arrived yesterday and was always getting it as have played all the soulsbourne games except this.

Still good to see good reviews.

Yeah, the only complaints I've seen so far are similar to the ones levelled at Bluepoint's Shadow of the Colossus i.e. it loses some of the "charm" that the older visuals had. Having not played the original, that won't matter to me at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

This is getting some really excellent reviews now.

I've never played any of the Souls games and have been on the fence as to whether or not to play this first on the PS5 but with the ultra positive reviews I've decided that I'm going to make this my launch title game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

This is getting some really excellent reviews now.

I've never played any of the Souls games and have been on the fence as to whether or not to play this first on the PS5 but with the ultra positive reviews I've decided that I'm going to make this my launch title game.

Your in for a lemon drop with the difficulty if this is your first experience with a souls game hope you know that

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,085 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It’s nearly exactly 11 years since my copy of Demon’s Souls PS3 arrived from the US (actually Canada). At the time it was a niche oddity gaining a small cult following due to some positive word of mouth and reviews. Absolutely mad in hindsight that the same game is the big blockbuster launch title for the PS5.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

It’s nearly exactly 11 years since my copy of Demon’s Souls PS3 arrived from the US (actually Canada). At the time it was a niche oddity gaining a small cult following due to some positive word of mouth and reviews. Absolutely mad in hindsight that the same game is the big blockbuster launch title for the PS5.

Did the EXACT same thing. An imported version from Canada. Was my first taste of souls. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,085 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

1-1 down.

Last time I said that Barack Obama was US President, new episodes of Lost were still being made, and Call of Duty games were still good. Makes you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,818 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

It was the first game I ever imported. Didn't come out in Europe for another 9 months

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Kirby wrote: »
    Did the EXACT same thing. An imported version from Canada. Was my first taste of souls. :D
    ShaneU wrote: »
    It was the first game I ever imported. Didn't come out in Europe for another 9 months

Import noobs. You need to git gud. I was there at ground zero after the eurogamer review waiting for NCSX to get copies in stock from Hong Kong.

I spent the last 80 euros of my phd grant money on it. That was a long time ago!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Standing outside the Phalanx fog, will either tackle him 1st thing tomorrow or restart with a new character.
    Selected soldier as starting class just to get into a game asap, might pick a different character.

Absolutely loving it, a thing of beauty.

Keep pressing square instead of R1/R2, have wasted a shed-load of grass, resin and firebombs.

What builds did ye go for? I went with Knight as i usually do, took off the pants, gloves and boots for the quick roll though :)

Bluepoint deserve some kind of an award to what they did with this game. Looks and plays incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Went with Wanderer but after the game froze I restarted as Royal, like my magic...

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Played all the soulsbourne and sekiro , so was expecting something the same , but jesus this is tougher ! Feels like I need to relearn all over again , it's gorgeous though the lighting and everything .

Went Royal, and boy is it a powerful build from the off. The recharging magic and soul arrow are a deadly combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

/reeeeeeee

Jealous of all you bastards playing, got to wait till next year for the next wave of consoles to hit the stores... :(

Not sure if already mentioned but there's a secret door in 1-3 added by bluepoint. It's behind a new illusionary wall. A speedrunner finally got in, will spoiler the rest.

How to get in:
    collect 30 ceramic coins (new item, rare drop). Trade with the crow who will give a rusty key to open the door.

What's behind the door:
    a body lying on the bench with armour you can loot. The armour resembles the penetrator boss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Few hours into this now and its my first time playing any of these souls type games. Decided to start as Knight build.

It looks amazing and really liking the mechanics. Starting to get a hang of the combat system. Have no idea what I'm doing with ring's etc but I'm sure I'll learn.

Only part I kept dying on thus far is on 1.1 where
    When you come up the stairs after unlocking the shortcut near the start and you go right. There is a knight with a red kind of flaming face across a narrow bridge. Died multiple times at the end of his spear so just left if for the moment.

Beat the giant blob boss thing first time and am now on other bridges with that big red dragon raining fire down. Are you meant to kill that somehow?

Also, loving all the little community tips around the place. Have come in handy once or twice.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Only part I kept dying on thus far is on 1.1 where
    Beat the giant blob boss thing first time and am now on other bridges with that big red dragon raining fire down. Are you meant to kill that somehow?
    Time your run to the 1st building - you can snipe the red dragon from there with your bow and arrow.

You can also time your runs to each section.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Played all the soulsbourne and sekiro , so was expecting something the same , but jesus this is tougher ! Feels like I need to relearn all over again , it's gorgeous though the lighting and everything .

In what way is it tougher than sekiro that game was impossible for me lol

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

biggebruv wrote: »
    In what way is it tougher than sekiro that game was impossible for me lol

Sekiro was tough , I might have used a guide for a few bosses but tbh it's all about the parrying and getting that down tbh. It's a very satisfying combat system once it clicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Parrying in souls.
    Nope never been able to do that properly, end up grinding.
    Tried again here and in Boletaria at the intro bridge I’d lost half my health with the puny dredging. Back to dodge, attack and magic I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

It's definitely tough, for me anyway. But I found the other soulsbourne games the same and persevered.

The loading times make a massive difference if you are dying in a particular area a lot!

At the heart of it though it's excellent. Finished as much as I can do in the first world and making my way through the second, slowly though ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

I've never parried in the souls games. I usually rolled or taken the hits on my shield however I'm finding parrying in demons souls way easier. I think its having the game running at 60fps makes the timing more manageable

I am LOVING this game. Best launch day game I've played since mario 64!

So it’s been so long since I played this it feels like discovering it afresh - I know parts of it well, but others I barely remember. I’d definitely have been of the opinion before that Demon’s Souls was something of an incredible ‘test run’ before Dark Souls perfected the formula. But honestly I’m seeing the benefits of this game’s structure - not ‘better’ or ‘worse’ than the more interconnected approach, simply refreshingly different.

I think in particular this might have the best ‘shortcuts’ of any game. When you finally look back around and pull the lever that gets you back to the Archstone, it’s a hell of a feeling! You can scratch off that chunk of level, and you’re that bit closer to the boss. The more copious bonfires of the later games absolutely have their place, but each level here being its own sort of loop is immensely satisfying.

Also: those bosses! Even without the next-gen coat of paint (the armour spider bit looks incredible) they’re definitely some of From’s finest creations.

• Advertisement

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    What builds did ye go for? I went with Knight as i usually do, took off the pants, gloves and boots for the quick roll though :)

Bluepoint deserve some kind of an award to what they did with this game. Looks and plays incredible.
    I went with temple knight. Just transitioned from the crescent falchion to the crushing axe.
    Just about to finish off the 'prison of hope' level. The atmosphere is incredible!

Advertisement