Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ZX Spectrum NEXT in the field

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,845 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

VanZan wrote: »
    Yeah I was about to edit my post. I had an Amstrad CPC 464 growing up and if they did one of those with a nice fancy case/keyboard and FPGA I wouldn't hesitate at £210.

It's a fair enough question really, nostalgia persuaded me, and it was the one time I had a few bob, if it was now, not a chance, couldn't justify the expense.

Don't think they're making much money on this batch, but the second kickstarter should mean they're quids in.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

I wonder will they continue to produce the Next if it is successful enough. I am sure the second batch will be bought out in minutes.

^^^^^^ shush! I have to secure one yet! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

^^^^^^ shush! I have to secure one yet! ;)

Private resellers will be buying them out fast. They will probably order 3 or 4 of them just to sell them to some idiot for 600+. Have to be quick about this one I think.

<BUMP!> How to install a Raspberry Pi Zero in a Spectrum Next (by a C64 FAN YouTube channel ironically - they must have never heard of the Spectrum Vega!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyGEi6Gyot0

• Advertisement

At least some of the Nexts destined for Ireland are in the latest consignment to be despatched. Mine should hopefully be on the way this week.

Mine arrived today! Woo hoo. Time to load up Laser Squad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

After playing around with mine for the last couple of days I have to say I absolutely love this machine!!

Of all the recent retro recreations the Spectrum Next surpasses them all as far as I am concerned. They have done an absolute fantastic Job on this.

20200415-151934.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Where can I get one of these now?
    And how much will it cost me?

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Where can I get one of these now?
    And how much will it cost me?

They're going to do a second kickstarter, but it's probably being delayed because of the state the world is. People on ebay are selling though, probably looking at around 300 pounds on ebay, now, they were going for five and six hundred or more! But prices have settled down a lot now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭Inviere

They're going to do a second kickstarter, but it's probably being delayed because of the state the world is. People on ebay are selling though, probably looking at around 300 pounds on ebay, now, they were going for five and six hundred or more! But prices have settled down a lot now.

That's nuts, how much was it to back the project originally?

Inviere wrote: »
    That's nuts, how much was it to back the project originally?

Actually I think I'm being optimistic, just looked at ebay completed listings, and they're selling for 500 plus more often than not, even the last couple of days.

230 pounds was what they cost on the kickstarter for the top of the line one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Firefox11 wrote: »
    Of all the recent retro recreations the Spectrum Next surpasses them all as far as I am concerned. They have done an absolute fantastic Job on this.
    Cool, which other recreations do you have or tried? Interested to see how this stacks up

230 pounds was what they cost on the kickstarter for the top of the line one.

The guts of €300? Ouch. I can see it's a quality bit of kit, but at the price, I'd almost certainly lean towards some souped up original hardware with a crt.

Inviere wrote: »
    The guts of €300? Ouch. I can see it's a quality bit of kit, but at the price, I'd almost certainly lean towards some souped up original hardware with a crt.

Oh yeah, wasn't cheap. It was the Rick Dickinson keyboard that I wanted, the man was a legend.

It was a good investment anyway going by second hand prices I could make money if I wanted.

Oh yeah, wasn't cheap. It was the Rick Dickinson keyboard that I wanted, the man was a legend.

It was a good investment anyway going by second hand prices I could make money if I wanted.

Yeah the second run seems like it'll be a limited run, so your investment should be decent even in the short term!

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Cool, which other recreations do you have or tried? Interested to see how this stacks up

I have a Mega Drive Mini and a C64 Mini(and a Playstation Mini but the less said about that the better :) )

What I meant by the Spectrum Next being one of the better retro recreations is that this is a lot more than 'just a spectrum' in an albeit beautiful case. It is the versatility and attention to detail that has been put into it that pushes it head and shoulders above the rest.

There are new Spectrum next games being developed for it (similar to 16Bit Games of the day) while being completely back compatible with all zx spectrum games of old. It has a very powerful version of BASIC specifically designed for the spectrum next called NextBASIC. It has wifi with the potential of game download services available in the future. There are new demos that can play Amiga MOD and C64 SID audio. There are also new cores being developed for it. (BBC Micro/NES/Sinclair QL to name a few) It even has a version of CP/M OS on it!
    It also comes with a whopping great manual just like the old days.

It's early days yet but the potential of ZX Spectrum Next could be huge.

Yeah, there are going for crazy prices on ebay. The Next folks were fully aware of this and didn't want people being ripped off on ebay and that's why they wanted to start the second kickstarter as soon as possible but this pandemic has kind of put a halt on it.

Firefox11 wrote: »
    I have a Mega Drive Mini and a C64 Mini(and a Playstation Mini but the less said about that the better :) )

I'd be fairly certain it's head & shoulders above the usual SOC offerings. This is a fully fledged computer in and of itself. It looks like a cracking piece of kit for Speccy fans.

2nd Kickstarter starting soon, within a couple of weeks I should think. It'll be interesting to see how much they price them at, not significantly cheaper than the first run I hope! Hopefully the spec stays the same too, don't want fragmentation already of a tiny little user base.

Because of the hefty price tag I don't see more sold than last time, but the machine has had a good write up pretty much everywhere it's been reviewed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Skerries wrote: »

Interested to see if the price/spec is the same as the original run.

Interested to see if the price/spec is the same as the original run.

I'm seriously thinking of going for a second one!!!

went for the accelerated version which works out at €390 with delivery

the early bird went in seconds

what joystick would you recommend for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,430 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Reached its goal in no time at all.

Good to see.

Welcome to the club!

Get a 8bitdo 2.4ghz wireless Megadrive controller. Ideal, and the dongle only sticks out a tiny bit. Joysticks are too difficult for my old hands!

Quite a bit more expensive than the first round. Reason given they got hit with taxes first time round and personal cost to the team. Had to be covered this time round. Definitely recommend the 8Bitdo Megadrive wireless 2.4 controller. Works brilliant with the next.

Not such a huge difference in price between then and now for us in Ireland because the exchange rate is more favourable at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,430 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Up to over 900k now pledged in less than a day. Massive success.

Stretch goals met, they've upped the spec now to 2mb, colour manual, free game etc

• Advertisement

they've broken the 1m mark

Advertisement