Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nest with Electric Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Soarer wrote: »
    Why?

The Nest can control the water an the downstairs, remotely if required. why would you not want the Nest to control the water?

Sorry my bad yes you can, what I meant is to get one for upstairs at a later stage if needs be.

But having the original if a good unit as a back up is handy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭jem

I got it in.
    Had a load of problems including it suddenly for no reason came on in the middle of the night and just wouldnt go off. and No I didnt have a setting for it to come on at that time.
    I had to plug out the boiler itself to stop the heating.
    other random going on as well.
    after a couple of weeks rang them and they took it out free of charge and put back old controls.
    the original installer and the lad who took it out could both have done with a personality transplant.
    IMHO not worth it, ( and i have hue lights, robo hover etc so I like gagets and remote controled stuff)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,109 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I have mine in just over a month and only wish I had it installed sooner. I switched most of the settings off other than being able to control switching on/off the heating remotely. Voice commands work perfectly with my Google Assistant too.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

hey... I was wondering if anyone could answer a couple of questions

How does it set the house to a certain temperature?
    Does it keep turning the boiler on and off to keep it in a certain temperature range?
    or is there a new control valve added to the boiler?

My Boiler is in the utility Room (cold). Do I need to keep the Nest itself in the sitting room to keep an eye on the temp?

Currently my setup, I can turn the boiler on, and I get hot water and radiator heat.
    I would assume this device will not be able to separate the hot water and the heating controls for me?

thanks in advance!
    apologies for my vagueness....

• Registered Users Posts: 39 ygaurav

Thanks a million. I will ask him to move downstairs heating and water to nest and keep upstairs heating on the old system.

But I am slightly confused as I have 3 separate zones now. 1 for water, 1 for downstairs heating and 1 for upstairs heating. So will the water and downstairs heating come on at the same time in the new system? As in summer I would only water so how will I control that?

Thanks again
    Sorry my bad yes you can, what I meant is to get one for upstairs at a later stage if needs be.

But having the original if a good unit as a back up is handy though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

Guys, I know I'm blind and/or thick, but I cannot find the Settings icon in the Hive app (Android) so I can't set up the thermostat in the app using an entry key. Can anyone point me in the direction of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

jem wrote: »
    I got it in.
    Had a load of problems including it suddenly for no reason came on in the middle of the night and just wouldnt go off. and No I didnt have a setting for it to come on at that time.
    after a couple of weeks rang them and they took it out free of charge and put back old controls.
    the original installer and the lad who took it out could both have done with a personality transplant.
    IMHO not worth it, ( and i have hue lights, robo hover etc so I like gagets and remote controled stuff)

That was probably this https://nest.com/uk/support/article/How-does-the-Nest-Thermostat-help-prevent-Legionella-bacteria

The installers should really be trained better on it.

Or it could have been true radiant feature. Basically if you set 20 degrees at 9am it would fire up at 7am to ensure it hits 20 at 9am.

blastman wrote: »
    Guys, I know I'm blind and/or thick, but I cannot find the Settings icon in the Hive app (Android) so I can't set up the thermostat in the app using an entry key. Can anyone point me in the direction of it?

You won't control a Nest using the Hive app. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I've recently jumped on the Nest train and have been having some problems - just wondering if anyone else has seen any of this:

1) Turns out we have a 3 zone system that's only wired for one zone; this is according to the first EI installer we had out. So what he did was firstly install a single Nest, with the hub unit replacing our old manual boiler control panel (in our kitchen) and replace the downstairs thermostat with the Nest thermostat. He took a few pictures of our unusual set up, then called a day or two later to ask me if our boiler was running constantly, whether or not we had the heat turned up using the thermostat. Yep, he was right, it was on constantly! So he came back out and determined that we needed another hub and thermostat to replace the boiler control, with this solution meaning we used the 'Boiler' thermostat to turn the boiler on, then the 'Downstairs' thermostat to control the temperature.

2) A week later a different EI electrician came and installed the 2nd Nest we had ordered (note above we ended up getting two Nests from the first order due to our weird set up), which split the upstairs zone from the 'Downstairs' thermostat, so we now have three in the app; 'Boiler' (turns it on and off), 'Downstairs' (controls downstairs temps) and 'Upstairs (controls upstairs temps). Synced the schedules so all three and the hot water would come on when we wanted each day; an overly complicated set up many would say (we didn't think we'd need the Boiler one, for example!) but if it worked perfectly we'd be happy.... BUT

3) Within a few days the boiler itself started to shut off very regularly showing a 'flame failure' warning light, and then not turn on again without multiple resets. Most resets would result in a pump 'clicking' but the flame not audibly starting, and the flame failure or fan failure lights would flash after 30 seconds or so. Got a RGI registered plumber out, who said that a) the boiler mechanically looked fine b) he thought it was probably an electrical issue and c) the heating system was full of air and that could also be a problem. Our automatic air vent in the hot press seems broken, so I can't even try to solve c) :(

I've been trying various things trying to isolate the flame failure, which seems to occur within 15-45 minutes of the boiler starting to run correctly. For one, far few resets are needed if I turn 'off' the other Nest thermostats, and only try to turn the boiler on with the 'Boiler' thermostat turned up. It seems the more thermostats are active and requesting heat, the sooner the system shows a flame failure.

So, that was very long winded :D Anyone experience similar issues? Gonna contact the original EI electrician later and see if he can come by for a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭audi02

Hi all

Weve had our nest installed almost 2 months and just realised yesterday that our P.V panels have not been working for almost 2 months..does anyone know if this is just coincidence or would the nest affect the P.V panels?

Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

got mine installed today, nice and quick.

Got a nice surprise when he was leaving; didn't realise that I was getting a free Google Home Mini!

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

Thinking of ordering the nest deal

Currently we have the attached set up , one thermostat in hall way and one upstairs in landing.
    Just double checking there shouldn't be any obvious issues in replacing what we have with Nest

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭Raoul

Thinking of ordering the nest deal

Currently we have the attached set up , one thermostat in hall way and one upstairs in landing.
    Just double checking there shouldn't be any obvious issues in replacing what we have with Nest

I have the same as in that first pic. But that is all I have, would love to know if it is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Have you got two zones then? Nest should be fine, but you will need two Nest thermostats to control the two zones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭wingnut

Got the nest install and very happy. Would like to add hot water only to it. Has anyone done any of the following:

1. Add a control for the hot water tank (replace immersion switch)
    2. Add a valve to switch to hot water only. I presume you may need to add a temp sensor/thermostat to the hot water tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Baoithin66

Does the nest work with a Rayburn cooker? Have had to replace the clock/controls twice in ten years as they get affected by the heat.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

For the use it sounds like you're suggesting, no. It replaces a time clock not the full electronics of the unit

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

wingnut wrote: »
    Got the nest install and very happy. Would like to add hot water only to it. Has anyone done any of the following:

1. Add a control for the hot water tank (replace immersion switch)
    2. Add a valve to switch to hot water only. I presume you may need to add a temp sensor/thermostat to the hot water tank.

Fairly certain no device exists for 1.

2 would emulate the standard setup most modern installs have and work fine. The tank stat connects to the valve and closes it when the tank is to temperature even if the timeclock/nest is telling it to open. You need to burrow in to the insulation to get the stat to touch metal

The nest itself needs to be reset to change modes to add HW options. Also note it heats the tank every few days for 2 hours to reduce legionella bacteria risk which isn't something people are used to here and may end up costing you a lot more money depending on your existing heating cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

jem wrote: »
    I got it in.

I had that issue as well which was really annoying as our daughter was very young and it would wake her. I had to delve deep into the settings to stop it coming on randomly and now it doesn't- only when we want it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭Raoul

Just signed up to the offer of €200 cashback and the nest. Does anyone know, in this package does it include the google home mini?

How long does it take for them to come and install if it is a new account? Anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭devil-80

I got google home mini with nest installation.
    Raoul wrote: »
    Just signed up to the offer of €200 cashback and the nest. Does anyone know, in this package does it include the google home mini?

How long does it take for them to come and install if it is a new account? Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Raoul wrote: »

Did you get 200euro + a Nest, or use the 200euro credit towards the Nest?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Have the nest installed a few weeks and it keeps turning itself on.... Have disabled the auto schedule and set a manual schedule. It comes on when scheduled, but also comes on regularly outside of the schedule.... It seems that it has a target temperature and kicks in when temp drops below that level. The target seems to be whatever the Thermostat was set to for the schedule... Eg house set to be 19 degrees at 7am.... If house drops below 19 degrees at any point during the day it turns heating on... If I manually put heating on for a bit say to 20 during the day, it then keeps the 20 as the target.... Driving me mad now and thinking of removing it.

Any advice??

Have the nest installed a few weeks and it keeps turning itself on.... Have disabled the auto schedule and set a manual schedule. It comes on when scheduled, but also comes on regularly outside of the schedule.... It seems that it has a target temperature and kicks in when temp drops below that level. The target seems to be whatever the Thermostat was set to for the schedule... Eg house set to be 19 degrees at 7am.... If house drops below 19 degrees at any point during the day it turns heating on... If I manually put heating on for a bit say to 20 during the day, it then keeps the 20 as the target.... Driving me mad now and thinking of removing it.

Any advice??

Humm mite be worth restoring/restaring the nest...mine gave issues last week whereby it wouldnt connect to the heat link at all so I had to reset it. Worked fine since.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭turbostan

Any advice??

Yeah, where you have set for example 19 degrees at 7am you should add in a second setting for say 10 degrees at 8:45

Any advice??

Did you disable True Radiant in the settings? This is the smart feature of Nest where it learns your heating pattern.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

The target seems to be whatever the Thermostat was set to for the schedule... Eg house set to be 19 degrees at 7am.... If house drops below 19 degrees at any point during the day it turns heating on... If I manually put heating on for a bit say to 20 during the day, it then keeps the 20 as the target.... Driving me mad now and thinking of removing it.

Any advice??
    That's how it's designed to work. It will hold the 19 degrees until there is a change in the schedule. If you don't want the house to be 19 degrees during the day, set the temperature to something lower (e.g. 10) during the day and the heating won't kick in.

When you say that you put the heating for a bit to 20 during the day? What do you mean, a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Thanks to all
    I will go with turbostan suggestion.

To answer some other qs.

True radiant is turned on (I thought this just let the heating come on a bit earlier so that it can reach the target temperature at a particular time?). I've it set to 2 hours, but house is well insulated and heating doesn't tend to come on for more than 30 mins to reach say 19 degrees in the morning. I don't mind the heat kicking in a bit earlier in order to hit the target. It annoys me when I want heating at 19 in the morning, but if I open the door in the afternoon for a few minutes, and temp drops below 19, it will then turn on the heating...

Over last 2 weeks heating is coming on between 2.5 and 4.5 hours a day, house is way too warm.

Presume with one zone heating you can only have one nest? Different parts of the house are different temperatures with sun etc (I know nest is supposed to be able to judge all that but I'm not finding it very good at doing so)

Thanks to all
    I will go with turbostan suggestion.

To answer some other qs.

True radiant is turned on (I thought this just let the heating come on a bit earlier so that it can reach the target temperature at a particular time?). I've it set to 2 hours, but house is well insulated and heating doesn't tend to come on for more than 30 mins to reach say 19 degrees in the morning. I don't mind the heat kicking in a bit earlier in order to hit the target. It annoys me when I want heating at 19 in the morning, but if I open the door in the afternoon for a few minutes, and temp drops below 19, it will then turn on the heating...

Over last 2 weeks heating is coming on between 2.5 and 4.5 hours a day, house is way too warm.

Presume with one zone heating you can only have one nest? Different parts of the house are different temperatures with sun etc (I know nest is supposed to be able to judge all that but I'm not finding it very good at doing so)

Turbostans suggestion is exactly how I have mine done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

Then reduce the temperature by 0.5 degrees or so. You'd be surprised the difference 0.5 to 1 degrees can make. I used to have an old analog thermostat and my heating ping ponged from being too hot to too cold. The nest maintains a much more even temperature.

Advertisement