Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Any souls veterans picking up Steel rising ?

I must say its looks really interesting.

I saw the videos this week and something about the combat looked off to me, just couldn't put my finger on what exactly. I'll have a look at reviews or post launch footage maybe. Definitely my thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Assassin's Creed 2 any good? It's on sale on Xbox at the moment. The only game in the series I played was the first one back at release many years ago.

I looked up how long to beat and it says 19 hours which isn't too good as I usually take longer than the times they say for games as I explore a lot and try to see and do as much as possible. So going by that it would probably take me 20-25 hours which is a lot of game time for one game. I don't remember the first being that long.

So if it is a good game I suppose it's worth putting in the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,224 ✭✭✭✭Penn

One of the best in the series. Not sure how it's aged as I haven't played it in about 10 years (nor the remaster), but certainly at the time it was a fantastic game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I assume this is the remaster? It is the best one in the series but it might be a bit clunky for a new player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Link ?

Think it's been updated to 60 FPS when MS boosted a load of games.

Also, eneba and cdkeys might have been cheaper.

Edit ...

The ezio collection has 60 FPS boost, not sure if that applies to AC2 on its own or if the ezio collection is a different ac2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

The Xbox 360 version of AC2, that is 2.99 is not FPS boosted or 4k upscaled, like they did with AC1.

They wanted people to buy the Ezio Collection 😆

It might have Auto HDR though...

The Ezio collection is frequently on sale so I wouldn't bother with the 360 version no matter how cheap it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I went back to Xcom 2 War of the Chosen after a brief stint on normal mode did nothing for me. Put it onto Rookie mode like my 1st playthrough of the base game and having an absolute blast. I don't usually play games on easy mode but this becomes so much more enjoyable doing so, highly recommend people try it if they haven't already.

• Administrators Posts: 53,358 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If my memory serves me right, AC2 is the one with the really satisfying combat.

• Advertisement

I started Doom Eternal two nights ago and after just playing Doom(2013) I do not like all the changes. Feels like a completely different game. I run low on bullets really quickly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Same, I gave up after killing the second priest. It was just endless spawning enemies and not enough ammo to kill them. 99% of the time I get killed swapping guns.

You have to get the combos going and include a chainsaw attack to keep getting ammo.

So it's not just me. I never ran out of ammo in Doom(2013).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Post #10009? I didn't think threads went above 10k...

Couldn't get into 2013 Doom, really don't know why, there was nothing specific about why I never went back (each of the 3 times I've tried). I think because it wanted me to run n gun and I wanted to explore... Haven't tried Eternal but running out of bullets because I didn't combo right does not sound like a game I'd like.

That was the old boards.ie, The site was able to go above 10,000 posts but the site started acting funny so they got the mods to start a new thread usually part 2 or whatever once a thread was over 10,000 posts.

Back to gaming I loved Doom(2013). I played it twice originally on PC and again about two or three weeks ago. But this Doom Eternal made mad changes to the game as in you have to kill enemies a certain way and then the stupid not enough ammo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

One small advantage of Vanilla, the new software, is threads can go past 10k.posts.

I got stuck with no ammo and no save to go back to. I'm not one for starting games from scratch especially if the game is forcing me to, so that was the end of that game for me.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Assassins Creed Mirage trailer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I can't remember what the Odyssey trailer was like but the game doesn't take itself seriously.

That looks like it takes itself very seriously. No interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,341 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

That’s probably the most visually stunning trailer I’ve ever seen, genuinely hard to tell between live action and CGI at certain points (obviously it’s not in the least bit indicative of the actual game though).

Really excited for Mirage based on that. Looks like the first true Assassin’s Creed game in many years as well, even some of the ones before the change in direction to RPGs lost some of the original AC feel, despite some of them being very good games in their own right.

Hopefully this has less open world elements and more linear missions, that style would be far more suited to the series than what they’ve actually being doing all these years.

I'd love if it was linear. I'd imagine its going through the same generic template. Same game, different skin. Would love to be wrong though.

Edit just reading how the game is going into phase 3, leaving the RPG phase 2.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Disney Dreamlight Valley is a big hit in our house. Been perfect for this rainy weekend. Only problem is I've to use my account to access it on game pass. Also a good bit of dialogue ny ones need help with, "what does this say?" 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It's unfortunately mostly text with only one liners and catch phrases, which is a shame. It's also mobile element heavy and tied to the actual day/night cycle where you are, so I'm playing in perpetual darkness as I only game at night. May prevent progress in the future. It's very close to a good Disneydew Valley ruined by mobile game systems and incoming MT's.

There's more than one liners and catch phrases in fairness. My head hurts from the amount of reading I've been doing.

Will be interesting what sort of MT it will have with the full release. I've a feeling it will be cosmetics. I'm fine with that, it's what kids spend their pocket money on these days. A toy is a toy, digital or tangible.

Rage 2 is such a great game. I never really heard about Rage or Rage 2 but both are good games and completely different too. Rage 2's open world is a lot bigger and tonnes to do. My map is covered in points of interest after going into a town and getting a bunch of quests. I also wasted a lot of money on key locations off a shady fella. I'm not so sure should I have paid him for this info as I may have found the locations myself but anyway they are marked on map now so I suppose it's easier that way.

Unfortunately Doom Eternal just isn't as good as Doom 2016. That game had a perfect gameplay and combat loop, and by trying to bolt more systems onto it they just broke it. Eternal is still a great game but it is nowhere near as fun. I also think it was a mistake to try and tack on an elaborate story when the minimalist approach worked so well in the first one, and the platforming sections can **** right off.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

I'd argue Doom Eternal is game play wise superior to Doom 2016 by a long margin and possibly the finest single player FPS ever made.

They didn't break the combat loop, they added more depth too it, making it a a more rewarding and fun gameplay experience. But it does require abit more effort on the players part (not insulting you) and it does require the player to play the game in a manner they may not be use too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Cordell

I concur, Doom Eternal is the best SP FPS ever made. And Doom 2016 is the second best SP FPS ever made.

Advertisement