Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Art of Rally is coming to Xbox, Game Pass (Xbox, PC, Cloud) and Switch next Thursday. I like the Dirt Rally games so I'm looking forward to giving it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Shyte list from Geoff. My games are Life is Strange: True Colors, Outer Wilds DLC and Dying Light 2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If I got my game recommendations from Geoff I'd be playing nothing but Call of Duty and Fifa and wearing a burberry baseball cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Metroid is the only one coming this year that I plan on getting at/near release.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Pyschonauts 2 and Metroid here. Otherwise it's definitely leaning into the narrative of AAA as endless trash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Since i have nothing to play for the next month, i decided to get PS Now (7 day trial is active again and I'll get 1 month after that for a tenner).

Sickened to learn Ace Combat 7 is no longer on it, that was the first i was gonna try. Gonna take the opportunity to try games i always wanted but never bought like WWZ and some games that sound interesting but would have never bought like Car Mechanic. I see there's a new one coming out next week and it actually looks great.

World War Z - 6th sep

Judgement - 4th Oct

Car Mechanic 2018

OlliOlli

Spec ops: The Line

WWE 2K19

Xcom Enemy Unknown

Deadlight

Everybody's Golf/The Gulf Club 2019

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just find a way to play ace combat 7.

Just so I can finally say to you 'told you so'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I really want to like Psychonauts 2 but that would require playing Psychonauts first, I think.

Anyone got a one-liner that would sell Psychonauts to me? 😊

I still have to play the first Psychonauts as well. I did find the reference to it in Alice Madness Returns though.

Might give it a go after Skyward Sword

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Sable still top of my list for the rest of the year, and really hope JETT: The Far Shore makes an appearance as well. Been waiting a long time for Psychonauts 2 so hoping it'll be worth the wait.

I reckon the pandemic helps explain the quiet first half of the year - really does feel that's when a lot of WFH complications etc... started being reflected with delays. Still miraculous as many games came out alongside the PS5 and XBX given the chaotic months that preceded the launches, mind you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Played through The Forgotten City this week and had a good time.

The latest in the burgeoning time loop / detective game genres. This originated as a Skyrim mod, which you can tell straight away by the zoom into dead-eye characters' faces every time you start a conversation! And it's janky for sure (tiny team made it). But the central story is actually pretty damn strong for this sort of thing, and the size of the world feels just right. Lots of fun to be had figuring out how to put all the pieces in the right places. Not quite as stylish as Paradise Killer or as sharp as Outer Wilds, but a satisfying afternoon's fun for sure. There's a native PS5 version too, thankfully, which runs pretty well (apart from a few indoor bits which felt stuttery).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Finished Judgment last week, loved it, almost worth the PSNow subscription for the year on its own.

I thought everyone knew at this stage that AC7 is awful but we won't get into that again... 😉

On games leaving PSNow, the link below is really useful

https://www.countdownplusevents.com/users/playstationnow

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Is this the closest we've ever been to November, with not a whisper of news about the annual Call of Duty game?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Only thing I could find. Looks like still releasing this year. Maybe we hear something during Gamescom

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

What's a "premium Call of Duty" game that's particular from a non premium one? 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Assuming they deliver, Deathloop, Dying Light 2, Sable, Kena (maybe), 12 Minutes.

I saw a trailer for GOTG yesterday showing a dialogue-heavy cut scene, and thought it terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The remasters with just SP without mp, or if the game just had MP only or battle royal only would make them the non premium.

The current COD has a new mode called Double agent for this season which is basically the Counter strike / GM game mode Trouble in terrorist town, one or more of the players is a traitor and has to plant a bomb or kill the other who don't know they're the traitor. It's never really got copied before but is a huge steaming / youtube game. Might makes future appearances now in the new and future cods and maybe if successful other games will copy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Psychonauts is excellent. I would recommend anyone to play it. It's Xbox gamepass and then you can pick it up for buttons on PC.

• Advertisement

PC and console = premium

Mobile phone = non premium

I'm assuming anyway 😁

As an aside, I think the psychic beach ball thing in Psychonauts is one of the most satisfying movement abilities in any 3D platformer. Hope navigation and movement in the new one is even slicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I've given up Apex Legends until the new character, Seer, receives colossal nerfs. I have never seen such a bullshít character in my 10 years playing multiplayer videogames.

How does a team of people decide that a character with almost non-stop wallhacks is fair and good addition to the game? Chimps would do a better job balancing that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The way they were talking about it like he was just the same as Bloodhound's tracking and it's just another tracker was BS.

It's the same in a lot of f2p games, the new thing is OP so people focus on it and preferably use the paid currency to unlock them; 750 apex coins in this case. They'll nerf it after they've made some money before it negatively effects them too much.

Not go with

PC = Premium

Everything else = non premium?

😏 (bring back pac!)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It's not just a fine game. It's a double fine game.

*leaves

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Playing Skyrim Special Edition 4K HDR 60FPS on Series X 😊. GamePass. Not sure if I love it or hate it! Was really flying along and have hit a couple of bugs. Googling the workarounds. Feels like my day job. 😫 Saving all the time in case I get a game blocking bug ...

Also, I can quick save anytime, even during boss battles, and continually restore my health. Good for filthy casuals like me! 😊

I can see how Nintendo take these PC proof of concepts and turn them into fully fledged video games 😂

Joking aside, it's a pretty special game. And apart from the bugs, runs like a dream on the X. I like the simple dungeons too. ie go from a to b without getting lost. Loot and hack and slash.

Saw the concept art yesterday, could have been cool

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I probably felt that I was too old for Power Rangers when it started, but that does look like it could have been fun.

Anyone familiar with Jeff Grubb and how reliable/unreliable he is when it comes to scoops and insider knowledge? He's saying that the as yet unannounced Marvel XCOM game won't actually feature established Marvel heroes, but rather you'll be designing your own characters.

• Advertisement

I think Grubb is usually correct. Found a thread on reddit of somebody going through all his previous scoops, alot were correct

https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/o1yk6t/analyzing_reliability_of_jeff_grubb/

Advertisement