Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

No Man's Sky

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Benzino

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Is this not coming to XB1 at all? I know Sony have it first but is it the only console that's getting it?

From my understanding of it, it's only confirmed for PS4 (I don't think they have even confirmed it for PC yet). But I'd imagine it's only a timed exclusive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

Benzino wrote: »
    From my understanding of it, it's only confirmed for PS4 (I don't think they have even confirmed it for PC yet). But I'd imagine it's only a timed exclusive.

It was announced for PC several months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Yeah I'd imagine it is a timed exclusive, they had to do something to get stage time at E3.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Burgo wrote: »
    Yeah I'd imagine it is a timed exclusive, they had to do something to get stage time at E3.

MS had it at their show at E3 last year though so something may have happened in the mean time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

MS still have that requirement for "launch parity", they've even very recently stated that they've no plans to remove it.

So is a small team capable of simultaneously shipping this game on multiple platforms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,598 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

'During an interview with Hello Games' Sean Murray stated this about the upcoming platforms for No Man's Sky:
    "So right now, obviously we were at the Sony Press Conference, so we're definitely coming to PS4, so that's going to be our console debut for that, and I'd really like to see it on PC as well."
    When asked about the Xbox One, Sean stated that they're not talking about any other platforms at the moment.
    Sean also said that they have no announcement whatsoever regarding the release date.'

Hello Games take note:

http://www.iflscience.com/space/center-our-galaxy-smells-raspberries-and-tastes-rum
    Ever wondered what the center of the galaxy smells like? Depending on your preference, the answer could be raspberries or rum.

As improbable as this sounds, the discovery was made when astronomers from the Max Plank Institute used the IRAM radio telescope in Spain to study Sagittarius B2, a dust cloud near the center of the galaxy. The announcement was made at the time in Astrophysics and has since been confirmed with studies of similar dust clouds.

Among the chemicals for which signals were found was ethyl formate (C3H6O2), the dominant flavor in raspberries, as well as an important one in rum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

If this turns out to be a port from PS4 to PC, i'll eat everybody's fckin hat!

Another downgrade in graphics for the master race... :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Benzino

Yeti Beast wrote: »
    It was announced for PC several months ago.

I've heard that alright, but I can't see anything official about it. Nothing on their site or Wikipedia about it and the interview posted by Overheal suggests it's not definite for the PC, but likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

I've heard that alright, but I can't see anything official about it. Nothing on their site or Wikipedia about it and the interview posted by Overheal suggests it's not definite for the PC, but likely.

Actually looks like you're right - it wasn't specifically announced for any platform when it first appeared, but Hello Games were happy to do interviews with PC exclusive sites (RPS, PC Gamer etc) who in turn never really highlighted the lack of platform confirmation/denial. So it was just assumed to be a "PC game" by many, myself included. In fact, I'm not sure if the console-only press were even covering the game before Christmas?

Anyway, Sony have seen the potential and come in with a lot of money for some kind of exclusivity deal. Even then, I'll still be sorely disappointed if this doesn't make it to PC at all.

• Advertisement

Im sure people have gathered by now their Playstation First deal embargoes them from discussing availability on other platforms. It probably won't be until after the game's initial PS4 Launch and the contract period has expired that they will announce other platforms.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,089 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hello Games must have a strong relationship with Sony, and the Joe Danger games released on PS3 first before turning up on PC and Xbox. I'd say it will be a similar situation here, albeit with a smaller gap between the different format releases.

Still kind of amazed the company went from Joe Danger - which is a lot of fun but not particularly remarkable or innovative series - to this!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Still kind of amazed the company went from Joe Danger - which is a lot of fun but not particularly remarkable or innovative series - to this!

Could be that Joe Danger was a money spinner to get them off the ground so they could afford to do something like this.

That or it might turn out that this isn't particularly remarkable or innovative in the end. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I think a lot of weight has been put on its shoulders thanks to an obviously heavily scripted teaser. I think it would be unrealistic for this game to not be riddled with bugs and such when people first get to play it, given the scope they are aiming for and the tiny development team they have.

How are Sony policies for patching and such ? I remember MS's being pretty terrible, not entirely sure on PS. It would probably be a good reason to release on PC first, as its just so much more flexible for things like this... hell, they'd probably make a ton just with a "Early Access" model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Magill wrote: »
    I think a lot of weight has been put on its shoulders thanks to an obviously heavily scripted teaser. I think it would be unrealistic for this game to not be riddled with bugs and such when people first get to play it, given the scope they are aiming for and the tiny development team they have.

How are Sony policies for patching and such ? I remember MS's being pretty terrible, not entirely sure on PS. It would probably be a good reason to release on PC first, as its just so much more flexible for things like this... hell, they'd probably make a ton just with a "Early Access" model.

I think sony patching is better than MS from what I understand. I think it was one the reasons street fighter 3rd strike was patched first for sony and Ms guys were or are still waiting for the patch for the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

Magill wrote: »

Neither charge indies for patches currently.

As for what platform to go for first, while the Early Access model would probably raise significant amounts of funding, they need to get the game to that stage first. Until then, a publisher deal with the funding that comes with it is probably the more attractive option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

MS had it at their show at E3 last year though so something may have happened in the mean time.

It was only announced at VGX, December of last year though?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

MS didn't have it at their E3 show last year. It was first announced at the VGX event in the latter half of 2013.

EDIT: Too slow...

http://venturebeat.com/2014/06/16/han-solo-simulator-no-mans-sky-developer-says-the-sci-fi-games-tech-came-after-the-idea/
    “What we wanted was to make a science-fiction game,” said Murray. “Sci-fi, to me, it’s about going on adventures in a universe that is unknown. It’s landing on a planet and realizing that no one has ever been here before. That was entirely the idea. That emotion you would get from exploring, and there’s kinda no other way to create that, so the technology came second.”

Hello Games didn’t come up with some kind of tech demo to enable players to fly into space and then build a game on top of that. In fact, as impressive as the technology is, that’s not really what Murray and his team care about.

“We don’t really get excited about the tech, and I didn’t even really want to show it,” he said. “I don’t want people to be excited about this tech — I want them to be excited about the emotion they will get from this Han Solo simulator experience where they get to live out their fantasy.”

So, what is the experience? Well, that depends.

“You choose what to do,” Murray told GamesBeat. “If you see some fighters attacking a freighter, that isn’t a mission or quest. The universe is just kinda working in its own way, and you can choose to interact with it however you want. If you attack people, then you’ll have to deal with the consequences of that.

“It’s not a game with a narrative.”

No Man’s Sky is actually a bit more like Minecraft or the open-world zombie-survival game Day Z than anything else. You’ll collect things, you’ll upgrade your ship, and you’ll explore — and, in the end, the stories you tell are your own.

Do you want to explore or get into combat all of the time? You can do that. Into hunting bounties? Murray said that is possible in No Man’s Sky. Are you more of a pacifist? Maybe you could act as a zoologist who travels from planet to planet naming the creatures.

“Whatever you want that makes sense within this universe you can go and do,” said Murray. “It’s a sandbox.

At the same time, No Man’s Sky will have “objectives” for players, but it doesn’t have quest lines that guide you neatly through a story with three acts.

Just as in life, everything is up to you.

“No Man’s Sky is about going on adventures,” said Murray. “And hopefully, when you describe your adventures to your friends, they will sound like stories from a sci-fi novel. That’s all we’ve ever wanted.”
    Even though there will be other human players exploring the same universe, you won't bump into them very often. "You can meet and get an idea of other players, but the universe is very vast, basically, so the chances of you actually coming across someone are pretty slim," says Murray. "We're not trying to make an MMO, or if we are, we're making a really terrible MMO, because everyone is spread so far apart." It's not a game that you pick up to play with your friends, he says. The closest approximation he can come up with is Journey, where players could cross paths with other players, but don't deliberately play "with" them.

So, without explicit goals or narrative, and without connecting with friends, what do you actually do in this universe? One possible avenue, says Murray, is to become a botanist or a zoologist of sorts, cataloging and naming flora and fauna. Upon discovering a new planet, animal or plant, it's uploaded to the servers. The next person to come across said planet, animal or plant will see that you discovered it. If you encounter a dinosaur and decide to name it "Awesomesaurus," every subsequent explorer will know that you discovered and named it first. Incidentally, each animal and plant gets a "Latin name," which is displayed much more prominently than the player-designated name, "because we know that you're going to call it 'Penis Monster' or whatever," says Murray. "We just don't want the whole universe to become filled with penis monsters."

As you make these discoveries, you'll earn money, which you can use to purchase things like new ships, which are capable of traveling further into the depths of the galaxy. There, you can find new planets and discover more species, or engage in more dogfights, which will get you more money to buy better spaceships, and so on. And that brings me to my initial question: What motivates all of this exploration, interstellar travel and discovery? Is it just the Star Trek allure of boldly going? If that is the answer, and if the unknown universe of No Man's Sky really is as vast as Hello Games is promising, is the sandbox prospect of more, more, more enough to keep players hooked?

Honestly, I don't know. For what it's worth, I probably would have said the same thing about Minecraft.
    http://www.joystiq.com/2014/06/18/no-mans-sky-name-your-own-dinosaur-get-eaten-by-it/

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

cde42cb3_Picard-YES-meme.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I now like this developer and, despite my prior misgivings, am tempted to just buy this.

Purely because of one line.
    "We just don't want the whole universe to become filled with penis monsters."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Excitement definitely growing now, their attitude really seems to be gunning for the raw wonder that comes from the simple act of discovery. As much as I love Elite, the new game still seems like a violent trading simulation, in space. Star Citizen just seems like an expensive techdemo. The prospect of having a straightforward voyage of adventure has my interest and then some.
    “What we wanted was to make a science-fiction game,” said Murray. “Sci-fi, to me, it’s about going on adventures in a universe that is unknown. It’s landing on a planet and realizing that no one has ever been here before. That was entirely the idea. That emotion you would get from exploring, and there’s kinda no other way to create that, so the technology came second.”

As much as I love Elite, the new game still seems like a violent trading simulation, in space.
    This.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,132 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I like the idea that you can run into other players but that it won't be integral to the game or even happen regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,644 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Apparently gamespot have a two hour feature up in the next two weeks with NEW footage and much more in depth info

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I like the idea that you can run into other players but that it won't be integral to the game or even happen regularly.

It seems like a nice touch all right, I'd love to think that the rare appearance of another human player might be as exciting as discovering a new, intriguing planet; I'd worry though humans become the main enemy of the game, the servers flooded with PvP types out to hunt players :(

I hope Picard pics never die out.

They fit so many occasions.

And this..is a most deserving one! :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,132 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

pixelburp wrote: »
    It seems like a nice touch all right, I'd love to think that the rare appearance of another human player might be as exciting as discovering a new, intriguing planet; I'd worry though humans become the main enemy of the game, the servers flooded with PvP types out to hunt players :(

There's bound to be a few who play it that way but by the sounds of it the life of a bounty hunter will be a lonely one and it would be an awful shame for them to spend ages scouring the galaxy for prey only to mess with the wrong inter-planetary zoologist :P

Well if players are heading toward the galactic center, the propensity of running into other players will increase as the game matures.

DayZ in space?

No thanks.

Hopefully they can come up with some sort of role-play type engagements so it doesn't end up as a 'shoot on sight apocalyptic wasteland'.

Some sort of resource you can only trade with players maybe...? No upside to killing? No loot?

• Advertisement

Taylor365 wrote: »
    DayZ in space?

No thanks.
    Where do you get that from

Advertisement