Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Halo Fans, will you be buying Destiny?

• 12-08-2014 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭

I'm unsure looking at videos whether id take to it like i have Halo, but then it is the guys who brought Halo into our lives!

Has anyone played it? Do you plan on getting it? Are there many similarities?? Could it possibly be as much fun as Halo online??

(The new Cod looks like COD:Halo Edition)

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I played a lot of the Destiny beta a few weeks a back and I will definitely be picking it up.

It doesn't really play all that much like Halo though, the guns handle more like hey do in CoD and there was certainty nothing that felt like a BR from what I could see.

You do have a shield and you don't get killed quite as quick as you would in CoD, it is possible to strafe and turn the tables on someone if they have the drop on you. There's also timed ammo drops for power weapons rather than everyone running around with rocket launchers so that's good.

There are CoD style killstreak awards in the form of special abilities, some of which are very overpowered but they didn't ruin the game by any means.

I think it's definitely worth picking up anyway, even if I lose interest in the PvP there should be more than enough going on with the Co-op side of things. It's much closer to Borderlands than Halo over all in the "campaign" mode, it's also always online so essentially the entire game is multiplayer to an extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

how do you mean its always online???

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

IvoryTower wrote: »
    how do you mean its always online???

The campaign mode is more like an MMO than a straight up FPS. Some parts of it have to be done with other players where as others it's optional but even if you're playing on your own you will see other players going about their business in the game world. Even for the competitive multiplayer you have to enter the main game and then fly your ship to the PvP area rather than just access it from a main menu.

There's also tonnes of weapons and armour you can get from random drops from enemies and bosses or buy from merchants, so it's like Borderlands in that sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I was expecting Halo 2.0 so was a little underwhelmed with the beta, but I didn't get a chance to play PvP multiplayer (which was easily the best thing about Halo) so will pick it up anyway. Will most likely be put aside once the MC collection is released.

Thats it, I was expecting it to be a rival as such, glad it isnt, keeping the fanbase together can only be good for the series. I'll wait to see how the PvP pans out for Destiny before I buy it, I'm not overly pushed on campaigns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

I will definitely be getting it. Could be the tightest shooter I have played. Interested to see what the competitive MP will be like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Not yet. Either it comes out on PC or I'll be waiting until I get a PS4/XB1

I have to say, the new gameplay trailer looks great. ill wait and see what the critic and user reviews are like, i assume it'll be top notch thoguh knowing bungie

Not yet. Either it comes out on PC or I'll be waiting until I get a PS4/XB1

It plays really well on 360 going by the beta. Think I'm going to make the upgrade in September regardless though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I don't think I can justify buying this and the Halo collection within a couple of months, so while I'm probably more excited about Halo, this is out first so will probably get bought!

Never bother with campaign play at all so really am just looking for the multiplayer experience. I assume they'll have modes you can drop right into and shoot people in the face without having to fly ships/ride a horse/solve a puzzle.

Halo for the Christmas stocking, so. :)

• Advertisement

yeah i'm the same with multiplayer, so you can be the guinea pig, let us know if it's worth it!

Dades wrote: »

Never bother with campaign play at all so really am just looking for the multiplayer experience. I assume they'll have modes you can drop right into and shoot people in the face without having to fly ships/ride a horse/solve a puzzle.

Well if the Beta is anything to go by you have to get your character to level 5 before you can access the multiplayer and you'll need to level another bit after that to unlock a heavy weapons slot or you'll be at a slight disadvantage. The more you level your character the more perks and abilities you unlock too, it's not really a traditional FPS shooter at all in that regard in that even the competitive side of the multiplayer is integrated into the campaign to certain extent.

The gameplay video looks pretty standard fps though. Sounds like you either get with the campaign or dont bother

IvoryTower wrote: »
    The gameplay video looks pretty standard fps though. Sounds like you either get with the campaign or dont bother

Yeah I think once you hit a certain level you could get away with ignoring the campaign and just play PvP if you want.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Well if the Beta is anything to go by you have to get your character to level 5 before you can access the multiplayer and you'll need to level another bit after that to unlock a heavy weapons slot or you'll be at a slight disadvantage. The more you level your character the more perks and abilities you unlock too, it's not really a traditional FPS shooter at all in that regard in that even the competitive side of the multiplayer is integrated into the campaign to certain extent.
    Titanfall was the same. You had to do the campaign to unlock basically everything. That campaign was basically multiplayer shooting anyway, so I guess Destiny will also be more than shooting AIs and following a direct path through the game.

Advertisement