Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭druss

I thought A20s were usb audio though. A40s and A50s are optical

Yes, but the Astro link I included implies that the A20 can still work on Series X/S.

"Gen 1 – Requires a firmware update which enables game sound and voice chat over USB.
    Gen 2 – Requires an included USB transmitter to transmit game audio and voice chat."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

No they weren't. They chose to keep a few stores open and close the rest. It was a Gamestop decision, nothing to do with the government. No other store closed. Argos, Smyths, Currys, Harvey Norman. All open, all selling consoles and ONLY selling consoles they actually had allocated to them.

As for everyone having their consoles if it weren't for the pandemic. That's not accurate, the pandemic hasn't stopped people getting their consoles with the exception of us who were stupid enough to order through Game Stop. I would have my console if they had delivered it to the store and kept it allocated to me until they reopened instead of giving them all to online orders.

Goverment guidelines let some stores open for click and collect that weren't in shopping centres. The click and collect stores were not open, ppl have posted that they had to get the staff attention then they will get their order. None of their stores were allowed open for general sale.

All the the above stores you listed were allowed open as they sold items that were deemed essential. Smyths were only open for click and collect.

i dint think you understand what level 5 lockdown means.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

No they weren't. They chose to keep a few stores open and close the rest. It was a Gamestop decision, nothing to do with the government. No other store closed. Argos, Smyths, Currys, Harvey Norman. All open, all selling consoles and ONLY selling consoles they actually had allocated to them.

As for everyone having their consoles if it weren't for the pandemic. That's not accurate, the pandemic hasn't stopped people getting their consoles with the exception of us who were stupid enough to order through Game Stop. I would have my console if they had delivered it to the store and kept it allocated to me until they reopened instead of giving them all to online orders.

Gamestop... people will never learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

druss wrote: »
    I thought Astro had you sorted?

https://blog.astrogaming.com/2020/09/xbox-series-x-and-playstation-5-compatibility/

I have a similar issue with my Turtle Beach 800x, but there was discussion earlier in thread about using the optical port on the tv. .

I plan to test that out. When (a) I get my Series X and (b) I get my new tv. :P

So I guess just connect it with USB like normal and don't connect optical cable, download software to update it too? I'll go try it out.

Oh yeah, just tried out FH4 on X, feck me, the loading times are just amazing. Switching car, going to events etc. Its brilliant.

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    Goverment guidelines let some stores open for click and collect that weren't in shopping centres. The click and collect stores were not open, ppl have posted that they had to get the staff attention then they will get their order. None of their stores were allowed open for general sale.

All the the above stores you listed were allowed open as they sold items that were deemed essential. Smyths were only open for click and collect.

i dint think you understand what level 5 lockdown means.

Come off it, i don't understand how level 5 works. I dont think you understand what an incompetent mess Game Stop is. Or you're a vested interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

One thing that I really really don't like is a controller. It feels so cheap and so loud.

I thought the same of the One controller when moving from the 360. It's done the job though. Is this a common complaint?

ZiabR wrote: »
    Gamestop... people will never learn.
    Yes I'll admit I'm a sucker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

This smacks of desperation, people that ordered early in-store or were quick enough to order online as soon as the links went live....Got their consoles on launch day.
    Your points about the stores, is way off the mark and it just seems you want some kind of excuse to have a go.
    I know I'm one of a rare few that support GS and they've never let me down, since they opened.

While it didn't bother me because I never expect too much communication from GS on pre-orders, just that they let you know when to collect or when the online order ships.
    But I understand the frustration this might cause others and could easily be improved on GS end.
    I got my in-store XSX,PS5 and online XSX, PS5 orders on launch day, the same with all my previous console pre-orders.

bazzz wrote: »
    This smacks of desperation, people that ordered early in-store or were quick enough to order online as soon as the links went live....Got their consoles on launch day.
    Your points about the stores, is way off the mark and it just seems you want some kind of excuse to have a go.
    I know I'm one of a rare few that support GS and they've never let me down, since they opened.

While it didn't bother me because I never expect too much communication from GS on pre-orders, just that they let you know when to collect or when the online order ships.
    But I understand the frustration this might cause others and could easily be improved on GS end.
    I got my in-store XSX,PS5 and online XSX, PS5 orders on launch day, the same with all my previous console pre-orders.

Its not desperation. I'll wait as long as it takes to get the xbox, I've other things to be doing and have a PC and only recently got a PS4 to go through all the last gen exclusives. My young lad also has a Series S if I really really need to play a next gen xbox game I can.

I just don't like being taken for a mug. I'm already in the process of taking court action against Samsung after being messed about and taken for a mug over a phoney soundbar promotion. Game stop are close to being next in my small claims court list. I'll give them until the 6th and see if they come through with a collection date as promised, after that it's give me my money back time, the inevitable argument over store credit and another application to the small claims court.

People in this country far too easily accept being messed around without sticking up for themselves. That's exactly why they get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

So I guess just connect it with USB like normal and don't connect optical cable, download software to update it too? I'll go try it out.

Oh yeah, just tried out FH4 on X, feck me, the loading times are just amazing. Switching car, going to events etc. Its brilliant.

You'll need to connect it to a PC to apply the software update, it should be downloadable from the Astro website.

• Advertisement

You'll need to connect it to a PC to apply the software update, it should be downloadable from the Astro website.

I tried it. Connected to pc directly with cable, got software and all, but all it says: connect Astro device. It does not recognise it all. I wonder if i need to connect it with whole dongle thing.

theteal wrote: »
    I thought the same of the One controller when moving from the 360. It's done the job though. Is this a common complaint?

Thats the thing, we have xbox one controllers everywhere. We use one s downstairs for all TV streaming apps. So I have xbox one controller in my hands often enough, even if I don't play games.
    Just the buttons and a specially new D pad thingy, feels super cheap, makes horrible sounds while moved, and top it off makes very loud sound when clicked. Buttons sound and feel really cheapy too.

I might be bias as I played with elite controller for very long time, but as I said, I use normal ones too. And series X controller actually feels worse then normal xbox ones.

Could be just me, and others might say completely different opinion. Though thanks to MS not being greedy bastards, I can use my elite controller, so I won't make a big deal out of it, and its still a win win for me hehe.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭oconnorw

If you did not get a reservation number you will not get one in the next few days.
    Not getting one means no stock was left when you tried to reserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 smcferguson

oconnorw wrote: »
    If you did not get a reservation number you will not get one in the next few days.
    Not getting one means no stock was left when you tried to reserve.

Stock was never in in the first place. I went into Navan Argos this morning and they said they had no stock. Same glitch on in store screens. Was staying available for reservation, but wouldn’t allow.

Argos is back to the unavailable screen for Xbox now.

I tried it. Connected to pc directly with cable, got software and all, but all it says: connect Astro device. It does not recognise it all. I wonder if i need to connect it with whole dongle thing.

You need to connect both the headset and the dongle.

You need to connect both the headset and the dongle.

Cool, I'll try that. I presume it still will be working as wireless headset after?

Cool, I'll try that. I presume it still will be working as wireless headset after?

It will, but it needs to be wired to the pc for Windows to recognise it and for the firmware update.

It will, but it needs to be wired to the pc for Windows to recognise it and for the firmware update.

Cheers, ill try it later or tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Was in gamestop pavilions today and same as other person mentioned on Tuesday they will be getting stock in for wave 2 he said this week and next week so I should hear next week the latest he said. I said no bother he was very apologetic, I wonder were they getting their heads eaten off them over last few days about xbox and ps5.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Theopinionater

3 Xbox Series X available in Smyths Tralee lads
    2 left!
    ALL GONE

• Advertisement

I see a friend of a friend is raffling a Series X on fb. €20 a ticket and in line to make a tidy profit if all tickets sold. No mention of the story behind it or if the overspend going to charity etc. so it appears to be straight up touting. I suppose it's more transparent than hiding behind as adverts/ebay etc. username but still doesn't sit right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭atr2002

theteal wrote: »
    I see a friend of a friend is raffling a Series X on fb. €20 a ticket and in line to make a tidy profit if all tickets sold. No mention of the story behind it or if the overspend going to charity etc. so it appears to be straight up touting. I suppose it's more transparent than hiding behind as adverts/ebay etc. username but still doesn't sit right.

How many tickets?

atr2002 wrote: »
    How many tickets?

Near 100% mark up

• Registered Users Posts: 19,659 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i have to say playing forza 4 on the series x v the one x is so much of a better experience purely down to loading times, it really is a game changer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I tried to reserve on in Argos yesterday for collection in Swords at the weekend and I got an email saying ‘thank you for your reservation’ - but there was no reservation number on the email and I got no text.

Tried Drogheda then and got the same result. An email but no text and no reservation number.

So have I actually reserved anything?

quad_red wrote: »
    I tried to reserve on in Argos yesterday for collection in Swords at the weekend and I got an email saying ‘thank you for your reservation’ - but there was no reservation number on the email and I got no text.

Tried Drogheda then and got the same result. An email but no text and no reservation number.

So have I actually reserved anything?

No, but I wouldn't worry. Definitely more stock on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭captainneutron

i have a reservation code for argos tallaght but needs collecting today by COB if anyone needs one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

i have a reservation code for argos tallaght but needs collecting today by COB if anyone needs one

Please. I have ilac one but that is a trek for me. Got it from Basil3 yesterday so that will be free to others if I can get one closer. If Series X.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 drandyt

would love it cant get anywhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 drandyt

Captainneutron Id love to pick it up cant get hands on one

Advertisement