Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which HDMI 2.1 are people using with their PS5?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭SVI40

Have you tried your existing cables to see if they work? You may not need a new cable.

Here is some good information on HDMI cables. Worth a read.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/index.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Ps5 isn't due until December 10th so just want to be ready :D

The cables I have are all HDMI 2.0. I'll have a read of that though, cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

The HDMI signal can degrade over a certain distance so be careful.
    3 metres should be the max, dont get anything longer.

The item in your OP looks like it will fit the bill. It's got the max bandwidth of 48Gbs which is what you need for full 4k 120fps (with the full chroma 444 gubbins).

I have my TV wall mounted and the provided cable by Sony is only just long enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TheUnderfaker

I'll be wall mounting my PS5 behind the tv to avoid this issue. Have a floating grip on the way!

Ps5 isn't due until December 10th so just want to be ready :D

The cables I have are all HDMI 2.0. I'll have a read of that though, cheers!

Has your TV got a HDMI 2.1 port?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Manning3000

On HDMI cables, my TV is only 2.0 which is fine but I do have a HDMI eARC Connection.
    Is this a better connection for game mode or is it for sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TheUnderfaker

On HDMI cables, my TV is only 2.0 which is fine but I do have a HDMI eARC Connection.
    Is this a better connection for game mode or is it for sound.

HDMI Arc is for sound, yes

Has your TV got a HDMI 2.1 port?

Sure does, 4 of em. Its an LG CX. I think all the 2020 LGs have 2.1s

Sure does. 4 of em. Its an LG CX. I think all the 2020 LGs have 2.1s

I'm sure cables will start popping up on Amazon shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭akelly02

what is hdmi 2.1

yes im stupid

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

akelly02 wrote: »
    what is hdmi 2.1

yes im stupid

Would you not type your query into google?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭akelly02

F1ngers wrote: »
    Would you not type your query into google?

just did.

thanks

Was looking at these very cables but they only come in a pack of 3 at the length I want! Although for the extra few quid it may be worth it to have some spares.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Was looking at these very cables but they only come in a pack of 3 at the length I want! Although for the extra few quid it may be worth it to have some spares.

They're the ones I have lined up for future proofing. Most of my older cables will need to be replaced as new devices begin to support 2.1, better to buy these three for now IMO!

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

I only discovered this HDMI 2.1 craic yesterday. I was getting a Sony Bravia in Harvey norman but it was 2.0 and apparently 2.0 can only handle 60fps but the 2.1 can handle 120?

I was between a LG CX or a Sony Bravia A8 but i think im going to go for the Sony in currys as none of Harvey normans sonys appear to have hdmi 2.1.

Is there an answer to the Sony Bravia v LG CX argument? I have always read that the sony was slightly better for TV but for gaming i dont know?

I may be wrong but I thought the Sony OLEDs weren't 2.1? The LG has 2.1 on all 4 of the HD ports

I may be wrong but I thought the Sony OLEDs weren't 2.1? The LG has 2.1 on all 4 of the HD ports

I think it's just the LCD Sony XH90 that has 2.1. I've not heard of any other models.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

You are correct, I bought the LG CX in Harvey the other day. As in 100% the LG CX is 2.1 on all 4 HDMI ports.

M

I think it's just the LCD Sony XH90 that has 2.1. I've not heard of any other models.

I think the A8 and stuff are a year old. When I was looking not long ago the Sony OLEDs were more expensive and they were mostly ones from 2019 and didn't have 2.1s

• Advertisement

The A8 was released in May 2020 and has one HDMI 2.1 port but will only do 1080 at 120 hz. 4k is at at 60hz.

Is anyone actually using the PS on HDMI 2.0? Interested to see how its actually performing.

The A8 was released in May 2020 and has one HDMI 2.1 port but will only do 1080 at 120 hz. 4k is at at 60hz.

How can they claim it's HDMI 2.1 then?

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/sony-bravia-kd55a8bu-55-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-oled-tv-with-google-assistant-10207937-pdt.html
    Down in spec it says it.

On the manual itself it says port 4 is 30/60/120hz 1080p and ports 1 and 2 say 3840p(not exact) 60hz and i cant remember what port 3 says.

I was watching youtube videos 4k 120fps in port 1 and it didn't struggle once. I assume not every single game will be 120fps anyway?

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/sony-bravia-kd55a8bu-55-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-oled-tv-with-google-assistant-10207937-pdt.html
    Down in spec it says it.

On the manual itself it says port 4 is 30/60/120hz 1080p and ports 1 and 2 say 3840p(not exact) 60hz and i cant remember what port 3 says.

I was watching youtube videos 4k 120fps in port 1 and it didn't struggle once. I assume not every single game will be 120fps anyway?

YouTube doesn't do 120fps.

Look at this review:

https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/sony-kd-55a8

"The HDMIs are slightly disappointing in terms of spec, though. Not only are they not 2.1-certified; they also lack some of the features that other brands are adding to their sockets. "

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Eugene Victor Tooms

Is anyone actually using the PS on HDMI 2.0? Interested to see how its actually performing.

I'm still waiting for my PS5 but I'd imagine 90% of PS owners are on HDMi 2.0s.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I'd be surprised if the PS5 does proper 4K 120 FPS without some sort of software trickery, unless its a less demanding indie game maybe.

Sure most high end gaming PCs would struggle to get 4K 120 FPS on high or ultra settings

I think hdmi 2.0 allowing for 4K 60 FPS is good enough for the average Joe unless you are a serious FPS player

I'm still waiting for my PS5 but I'd imagine 90% of PS owners are on HDMi 2.0s.

Completely agree. But if you're buying a new telly you may as well get the one that's most future proof. It seems bizarre that Sony only have one (kinda?) 2.1 port whereas other companies have multiple. And Sony make the biggest selling device that can take advantage of the 2.1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Completely agree. But if you're buying a new telly you may as well get the one that's most future proof. It seems bizarre that Sony only have one (kinda?) 2.1 port whereas other companies have multiple. And Sony make the biggest selling device that can take advantage of the 2.1.

The Sony XH90 has 2 HDMI 2.1 ports

I'd be surprised if the PS5 does proper 4K 120 FPS without some sort of software trickery, unless its a less demanding indie game maybe.

Sure most high end gaming PCs would struggle to get 4K 120 FPS on high or ultra settings

I think hdmi 2.0 allowing for 4K 60 FPS is good enough for the average Joe unless you are a serious FPS player

That’s what I thought! I am a serious flight simmer on PC but most of the guys there are more interested in frames than actually flying.

Twas someone on another forum banging on about frames like it was goin to come up black and white if you didn’t have an LG CX.

The guy in Harvey Norman reckoned the A8 has the hardware for 2.1 fully but the firmware isn’t available yet. I don’t know much about it to be honest which why I have to come here. I’m fairly technical but TV’s is where I fail 😂

• Advertisement

For anyone interested, I bought these in the end.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B084RFQPSP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabt1_h1sUFbC9X0PST?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Not the most flexible leads but I could get them to sweep enough so you can't see them out of the side of the TV. Plugged into my ps4 until Friday :o

Advertisement