Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting FPS drops/machine lag in BF V

• 11-12-2018 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭

Whilst playing BF V, I'm noticing frequent machine lag & FPS drops. Now, my rig is old. It's over 5 years old at this point, but wondering what part if I upgrade for xmas would give me the most benefit?

OS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    CPU Intel Core i5 4670K @ 3.40GHz
    RAM 32.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28) (PC3-12800 800MHz)
    Mobo ASRock Z97 Anniversary
    Graphics 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 (MSI)
    Storage 250GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO (windows) & 500GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO (games)
    Audio Creative X-Fi Audio Processor (WDM)

Other RAM that I could use is 8GB PC3-10700 CL9 (CMY8GX3M2A1600C9), but unsure if the lower latency would matter much?

/edit: seems if I set the BFV.exe process CPU usage to "high", I get no stutter.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Major CPU bottleneck. You can get an i7-4790 for €120 from CEX and that's a major upgrade for games like BF5.

Card is fairly old hat as well at this stage but should be alright for 1080p low-ish settings at stable 60fps.

I would say something like a 2nd hand i7-4790 + a new RX580 would be huge upgrade (they come with free games at the moment and are less than €200 as well).

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Major CPU bottleneck. You can get an i7-4790 for €120 from CEX and that's a major upgrade for games like BF5.

Card is fairly old hat as well at this stage but should be alright for 1080p low-ish settings at stable 60fps.

I would say something like a 2nd hand i7-4790 + a new RX580 would be huge upgrade (they come with free games at the moment and are less than €200 as well).
    Cheers. Will pick up a RX580 fox xmas, and the i7-4790 shortly afterwards.

Which would be better? Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8G or MSI AMD RX 580 ARMOR 8G OC 8 GB? Leaning towards the MSI, for the factory OC.

This is the best deal right now I think, and comes with 2 excellent games.

There's also the RX590 and it comes with 3 free games but it's only about 10-15% faster I think.

GTX1060 6GB is the Nvidia equivalent to the 580 but it's much more expensive.

Cool. Budget will be around the €200 mark, but as the pound is a bit weak atm, I may get a good deal. The first one you linked to gets me below said budget, and as the free games are "yet to be released", they'll probably still be worth some cash.

Are the OC versions (such as the one I linked to) of any use?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Have you tried any of the config file fixes?
    I know you're upgrading anyway but atleast they'll let you play for now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭super_sweeney

was this with new or older nvidia drivers. I know the hardware is old and more than likely the issue but I have personally seen on my rig and have there is a lot of youtube videos about newer drivers throttling older gpu's.... tinfoil hat would suggest this would be to encourage people to upgrade.

ewj1978 wrote: »
    Have you tried any of the config file fixes?
    I know you're upgrading anyway but atleast they'll let you play for now
    Looked into it, but from reading articles about possible fixes, it seems BFV overwrites said config files often(?).
    was this with new or older nvidia drivers. I know the hardware is old and more than likely the issue but I have personally seen on my rig and have there is a lot of youtube videos about newer drivers throttling older gpu's.... tinfoil hat would suggest this would be to encourage people to upgrade.
    Newest nVidia driver, as it wouldn't run with the older driver (I only upgrade drivers when games force me to do so).

As setting BFV CPU usage to high solves the issue, it seems to be caused by old CPU as opposed to old GPU.

This is the best deal right now I think, and comes with 2 excellent games.
    BAH! Went from £169.99 to £199.99

Amazon.co.uk still has it for £169.99 so may get that, as I'm unsure if overclockers.co.uk would give me the games in a DVD box (that I can resell), or game codes (that someone could turn around and raise a dispute saying the codes don't work after they've used them).

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭super_sweeney

the_syco wrote: »
    BAH! Went from £169.99 to £199.99

Amazon.co.uk still has it for £169.99 so may get that, as I'm unsure if overclockers.co.uk would give me the games in a DVD box (that I can resell), or game codes (that someone could turn around and raise a dispute saying the codes don't work after they've used them).

dont count on that i got two games from them before they were just CD keys for steam!

They're always keys and becoming harder to resell as they require you to be logged into a machine with the qualifying hardware for validation.

• Advertisement

They're always keys and becoming harder to resell as they require you to be logged into a machine with the qualifying hardware for validation.
    Grand. Shall go the Amazon route, as I've no interest in the games offered.

Advertisement