Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Building a map of Ireland for a server - Need help!

• 02-05-2016 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi,
    This is my first post as I thought boards.ie might be a good place to find some minecraft players interested in creating a map of Ireland that we can use to make a server and build a true Irish community server as I feel there is not a really advanced Irish server around other than basic survival, factions etc.

I have already created an (almost) accurate map of Ireland using satellite images on worldpainter but I will have to tweak it as some mountainous areas are extremely steep and unplayable.

The main area I need help in is building because I am rubbish at it but any expertise is much appreciated and welcomed!

I have not decided what time period, what type of server it will be or anything to do with the server aspect but if anyone does decide to help, we can discuss that at a later date.

NOTE: This is for PC only

Also, the rules don't allow me to post pictures so add me on skype : shmiley79

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ConorDon97

EDIT:

Here is the minecraft map I want to use for the server. I haven't edited around the mountainous areas or added trees yet.

Again, if you want to help it would be great because I can't build the cities/towns of Ireland alone. Contact through PM or Skype @ shmiley79

irelanddem.png

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

I could help I think over the summer. How big is the map you are making? It sounds like your going fairly large scale

Thanks for the reply. Yeah it is quite large, 16,000 X 13,000 blocks is what I have at the moment but that can be changed. I felt this was the smallest it could be to make areas distinguishable from each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 SeedyGravage

Any updates on this?

Any updates on this?

I haven't really pursued the idea as there has been little interest for it. I'm always open to restarting work on the map though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

ConorDon97 wrote: »
    I haven't really pursued the idea as there has been little interest for it. I'm always open to restarting work on the map though!

That would be a hell of an under taking. Obviously you'll be using mods to help get it done faster yes?

Have you tried to start doing it at all?

Any plan of attack?

I have another guy now who would be interested in doing it, but again, I'm slow to start as I need to build a team of people willing to help or else I'll be wasting a lot of time.

Yeah we will be using mods for roads, rivers, lakes and also worldpainter to put in forests with custom trees. I want to leave the terrain as it is to maintain accuracy.

If anyone would like to help, just send me a message, it's going to be a long but interesting project!

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

Will it be built on a online server or some other way?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 GuiltyAir

Neat project!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Gweedling

I'd be up for this if it goes ahead.

• Advertisement

Gweedling wrote: »
    I'd be up for this if it goes ahead.

Hey, I never actually started the project because I couldn't find a team. If you're interested, send me a message and maybe we can start some sort of chat and gradually add team members to it :)

Advertisement