Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Elder scrolls online

• 07-10-2015 11:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Hi All,

Quick one for you.

does anyone know the difference between the regular Elder scrolls online and the tamriel unlimited version.

Agros have the Tamriel one for 60 euro, but CEx have the regular one for 35.

Comments

• If you have a PS4, the PlayStation store currently has a deal for €39/€49 for both versions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

I do, I bought one which was tamriel unlimited.

Must say, so far I am not impressed. It is a very poor version of Skyrim, while I understand there is loads more land to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

i actually thought that too, i wasnt impressed with the game at all, only played it for a few hours too, compared to hundreds in skyrim :/

Yeah, so for it isnt doing much for me.

I find that level strength is too wild in different places, I met a level 8 spider while I was 6 and it killed me, but a level 7 flying thing that looked like a dragon only smaller was no challenge.

I also dont really like the in game menu as you need to change things on the fly, but the menu still leaves you able to be attacked.

Also dont like the skill tree, seems very disjointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Over 2 hours to install & update it this morning.
    Still trying to work out the basics, I seem to recall sky rim being more intuitive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Mozzeltoff

Bought the game a few weeks back and so far I have a good few hours put into it. I am enjoying it so far but I will say it's not as good as Skyrim and nowhere near as awesome as Oblivion. I'm hoping that all this game is is just a stop gap between Skyrim and an Elder Scrolls VI game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Bout to buy this on PS4,is there any major reasons i shouldnt?

Was gonna have another playthrough of Skyrim with the remaster out but its not much different from the original on PC so im gonna wait till the mods update for the remaster to start the new playthrough.

Seems a lot of people dont find ESO that inspiring but im wondering with all the updates is it worth grabbing. Its the Gold edition for €29.99 im looking at btw

EoinHef wrote: »
    Bout to buy this on PS4,is there any major reasons i shouldnt?

Was gonna have another playthrough of Skyrim with the remaster out but its not much different from the original on PC so im gonna wait till the mods update for the remaster to start the new playthrough.

Seems a lot of people dont find ESO that inspiring but im wondering with all the updates is it worth grabbing. Its the Gold edition for €29.99 im looking at btw

As someone who loves elder scrolls,i found it crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Ok,i think ill just leave it. At €30 for the gold edition thought it might be worth it but the game seems to get universally underwhelming reviews.

Ah well,ill just wait for a load of mods for Skyrim remaster and play through that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Sorry for dragging up an old thread, but this has caught my attention in recent weeks between replaying the Remastered Skyrim and the impending release of the Morrowind add-on for ESO.

Can anyone give me a brief synopsis of this? i.e. what's to be done, is there a story etc.

I gather from the comments above that it's a poor man's Skyrim, so I'm wary of throwing a load of wedge into it only to be disappointed. Star Wars: The Old Republic or Destiny are the last MMO's I played. Found both to be fairly scant in terms of detail, both mission-wise and graphically. Is it more of the same here? Also, is it pay-for-play? (vaguely remember the Old Republic requiring a sub)

Any other comments/advice welcome too!

Thanks in advance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Sorry for dragging up an old thread, but this has caught my attention in recent weeks between replaying the Remastered Skyrim and the impending release of the Morrowind add-on for ESO.

Can anyone give me a brief synopsis of this? i.e. what's to be done, is there a story etc.

I gather from the comments above that it's a poor man's Skyrim, so I'm wary of throwing a load of wedge into it only to be disappointed. Star Wars: The Old Republic or Destiny are the last MMO's I played. Found both to be fairly scant in terms of detail, both mission-wise and graphically. Is it more of the same here? Also, is it pay-for-play? (vaguely remember the Old Republic requiring a sub)

Any other comments/advice welcome too!

Thanks in advance!

Late reply I know but I just started playing this a few weeks back myself. I've never played an MMO before and really wanted to see how this held up as a mainly solo experience. As mentioned above it's a pale comparison of the dedicated SP games but it's not terrible imho.
    Combat is on the weakish side, it's much more arcadey and based around smashing Mobs rather than tactical combat. Due to the need to allow for multiple players at any one time respawn times can be a bit ridiculous, e.g. wipe a mob and stop to read a note or book and a few seconds later the mob has reappeared on top of you. That same short respawn mechanic also takes some of the tactical impact out of combat in that you don't gain a lot by killing a group vs. sneaking past (besides base XP and loot). In more popular areas it can be a chaotic mess of many players hammering at the same targets so forget sneak in most cases unless you really just want the stun debuff. That said combat itself works reasonably well as using your various active abilities and switching weapon sets is relatively seamless.
    Graphically it's a little worse than Skyrim but not much. What it loses in fidelity it makes up for with decent FPS even in massive battles and it nails the Elder Scrolls look.
    Audio is excellent. There are some great variations on traditional ES themes, the voice acting is solid and sound FX decent.
    Quests are pretty decent with voice acting for all, especially impressive in light of just how many there are. Seemingly short side quests can lead to ever more complex follow-on tasks. You will never be short of anything to do.
    The world is MASSIVE. I've probably put in about 50 hours by now and I've explored maybe 10% of the map and haven't touched PvP.

TL;DR
    IMHO It's not as good as the SP games but is still a solid Elder Scrolls fix if you can deal with the simplifications. Also I highly advise you not to make your mind up until you get out of the starter island. The game improves a lot when you're away from (most of) the unwashed masses :).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Well I'm now about 6 weeks in, If I had to guess probably 150 or so hours. And TL;DR it's actually pretty fun, it's gotten better over time which I definitely think has a lot to do with getting away from the popular/starting areas. That was reinforced to me today when I finally tried out the Morrowind expansion. Yes, being my favourite of the series I loved seeing the pre-cataclysm version but it was full of players, just like the starting island when I began. I tele'd back to the mainland after about an hour and will probably wait another few weeks before going back. It's not that I'm completely anitsocial but I am careful about who I interact with so 20 people in one area doing the same thing is a turn-off. 3-4 grouping up for an hour or 2 is fine though - which I've only done maybe 3-4 times so far but it has admittedly been fun to do so.

The gameplay is still rather basic compared to the main solo series but if I was to rank them it'd be Morrowind 10, Oblivion 7.5, Skyrim 9 and Online 8 (once you get used to the gameplay differences). I'd recommend it even if you just want a solo ES experience but with the caveat to get out of your starting zone asap.

I'm running it now with the ES 3-5 soundtracks on random in the backround (even though the integral soundtrack is good nothing beats Jeremy Soule) and it's a true ES experience.

Advertisement