Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Motorhome Tourists not Welcome in County Roscommon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Pjwal

Numbers usually speak volums. We should locate a large suitable location to park a large number of motorhomes and hold a rally somewhere in co. Roscommon. They could hardly do us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Not Roscommon
    Tinteniac France for free a couple of weeks ago :D:D:D:D
    and Port Vendre also France a short while later for E4.70 :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

niloc1951 wrote: »
    Not Roscommon
    Tinteniac France for free a couple of weeks ago :D:D:D:D
    and Port Vendre also France a short while later for E4.70 :D:D

Oh wow, you've really made my day with that bit of info:mad:.

I'm sure we're all really really pleased to know that you went there just to check it out for us;).

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭irishllanaber

How can one council use their common sense and another be so backward....
    http://www.visitstrangfordlough.co.uk/Utility-menu/News/Aire-de-Service-opening-in-Donaghadee
    Make sure you put Donaghadee on your list when up north

How can one council use their common sense and another be so backward....
    http://www.visitstrangfordlough.co.uk/Utility-menu/News/Aire-de-Service-opening-in-Donaghadee
    Make sure you put Donaghadee on your list when up north

Had a quick look at this website. Looks good.

Am I right in thinking that parking is free and tokens only needed for elec. etc. ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Pjwal wrote: »
    Numbers usually speak volums. We should locate a large suitable location to park a large number of motorhomes and hold a rally somewhere in co. Roscommon. They could hardly do us all.

Lough key forest would be ideal especially as this is almost certainly where the lobbying started as the public car park is basically a couple of birch trees away from the camp site.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Glastonut

Had a quick look at this website. Looks good.

Am I right in thinking that parking is free and tokens only needed for elec. etc. ?

Yeah parking is free. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Glastonut wrote: »
    Yeah parking is free. :)

All it need now is life boat luke to be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

Just back from spending a few days travelling around west Cork, and while its a lovely part of the world, they're not the most accommodating to motorhomers. Any beach car park, picnic area, place of interest had a barrier on it.

Re: Penalties for overnight parking.

Despite having sent a further email to the council I have still had no reply to my question of what the penalties would be.

Does this mean that there are no penalties?. That although they have made it an offence they forgot about what the consequencies would be? A nasty slap on the wrist perhaps?

OOOH I wouldn't like that:D.

• Advertisement

Despite having sent a further email to the council I have still had no reply to my question of what the penalties would be.

Does this mean that there are no penalties?. That although they have made it an offence they forgot about what the consequencies would be? A nasty slap on the wrist perhaps?

I also doubt anybody could or would enforce the law. The council only work until 4 30 every day. And if a garda was to come knocking, he could hardly tell u to move on if u told him u had a glass of wine too many.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I also doubt anybody could or would enforce the law. The council only work until 4 30 every day. And if a garda was to come knocking, he could hardly tell u to move on if u told him u had a glass of wine too many.

I wouldn't go down that road with the gardai, admitting you are over the limit in charge of a motor vehicle in a public place. Could end badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Maurice G

It would be a very good defence if there are no signs prohibiting the overnight parking and indicating the penalty. (I didn't see any sign guard!!)
    It is also unlikely that local guards would enforce what is a local bye law if there is lack of clarity/signage etc. from the local authority.
    I have no doubt they have much more serious infringements to pursue with ever decreasing resources.

*Kol* wrote: »
    I wouldn't go down that road with the gardai, admitting you are over the limit in charge of a motor vehicle in a public place. Could end badly.

I cannot see that you could be considered as being in charge of a motor vehicle for prosecution purposes if you were parked up for the night and having a drink in your camper:eek:, or actually bedded down for the night after having had a drink.
    If this were to be the case I would have thought that many of us would have been in court by now.

I cannot see that you could be considered as being in charge of a motor vehicle for prosecution purposes if you were parked up for the night and having a drink in your camper:eek:, or actually bedded down for the night after having had a drink.
    If this were to be the case I would have thought that many of us would have been in court by now.
    It's the same thing as sitting in your car. You could start it up and drive away.

It's the same thing as sitting in your car. You could start it up and drive away.

I don't see it being the same at all unless you're sitting behind the wheel or in the front passenger seat, with the keys either in the ignition or in your hand. And that would be stupid.

To follow your line of thinking, I have had a few glasses of wine tonight, my car is parked in the driveway, I could just as easily get in it and drive it as with the campervan.
    I've never heard of anyone being prosecuted, or even warned, for sitting in their camper drinking or when they've had a drink. The idea with me is to be able to go to a music session, have a few (?) drinks and not drive home. This is what I do. This is what I will continue to do.

To do anything else would strike me as being paranoid.

I don't see it being the same at all unless you're sitting behind the wheel or in the front passenger seat, with the keys either in the ignition or in your hand. And that would be stupid.

To follow your line of thinking, I have had a few glasses of wine tonight, my car is parked in the driveway, I could just as easily get in it and drive it as with the campervan.
    I've never heard of anyone being prosecuted, or even warned, for sitting in their camper drinking or when they've had a drink. The idea with me is to be able to go to a music session, have a few (?) drinks and not drive home. This is what I do. This is what I will continue to do.

To do anything else would strike me as being paranoid.

It's more to do with being in the proximity of a pub in your car/vehicle after having a few drinks with the keys and the potential to drive it. Bit of a vague area where the law is concerned. Being in your house with the car in the driveway is not the same thing at all. Unlikely that anything would happen if you were in your MH set up to stay the night.

It's more to do with being in the proximity of a pub in your car/vehicle after having a few drinks with the keys and the potential to drive it. Bit of a vague area where the law is concerned. Being in your house with the car in the driveway is not the same thing at all. Unlikely that anything would happen if you were in your MH set up to stay the night.

I suppose that, in my case, having no through-way from the camper to the cab puts things in a different light.

As we've gone off topic we will have to agree to disagree on some of these points.:)

*Kol* wrote:

I a ready had that suituation while parked on the outskirts of Limerick city. Had just returned to my motorhome at about 2 30 am by taxi. When there was a knock on the door and a Garda was standing there smiling at me. He told me he liked my convieniant sleeping accomadation and to be sure that I didn't move untill a reasonable hour the following day. Then he asked could he have a nose inside because he would love one. Then he went on his merry way.

I a ready had that suituation while parked on the outskirts of Limerick city. Had just returned to my motorhome at about 2 30 am by taxi. When there was a knock on the door and a Garda was standing there smiling at me. He told me he liked my convieniant sleeping accomadation and to be sure that I didn't move untill a reasonable hour the following day. Then he asked could he have a nose inside because he would love one. Then he went on his merry way.

Q.E.D. to my point I think.:)

• Advertisement

Our Celtic neighbour, Scotland, looks like the place to go.
    No Overnight Parking signs to be removed

Personally, the next time that I'm in Roscommon, I wil ignore the no overnight parking signs.

Back in March I sent the council an email asking about these signs and got a partial reply.
    I then asked for a full reply as I wanted to know what the penalties would be for overnighting and received no reply.

I have since then sent 2 emails asking for a reply to my question without any response so I am going to inform them that I will be ignoring the signs and if this is an offence punishable under the law, they have a civic responsibility to tell me so.

Let's see what that brings.:D

Most definitely not a Roscommon councillor is sight :D:D:D

http://www.greystonesguide.ie/motor-homes-a-welcome-boost-to-local-tourism/

• Registered Users Posts: 28 globcar

Stayed in Greystones at the harbour carpark last weekend. Great spot, and good food and entertainment in the Beach House. Nice 99cones in the Harbour Cafe. Other towns around the country should take heed. We spent about €100 in the one night we stayed on food and drink (soft drinks only, so not big drinkers) But don't understand, if campers are welcome, why there is a sign up saying NO OVERNIGHT PARKING! We were about to move on to somewhere else until a local man informed us there would be no problem staying, glad he did.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

650Ginge wrote: »
    This is a good idea.

Didn't the Irish motorhome club have there annual event at Roscommon one year. Sure they did not mind the revenue then. Why town don't want to grab our cash I don't know, not like they. Des to spend much money on infastructure. Mostly we are self sufficient.

thats a contradiction there Ginge....

I think you know the why; you 'are self sufficient' - you probably stock up in Tesco and as such are no gain to them financially....

my friend wrote: »
    thats a contradiction there Ginge....

I think you know the why; you 'are self sufficient' - you probably stock up in Tesco and as such are no gain to them financially....

You can interpret the comment by 650ginge your way.

However to us experienced motorhome users by 'self sufficient' 650ginge is indicating that our vehicles do not require the support services of a camping pitch in a camp site and place little or no cost on the host community.
    We carry our own water supplies, contain our own waste waters in on-board tanks, have batteries to provide our power requirements and toilet/shower facilities for personal hygiene.

Perhaps you should re-read the comments attributed to the business community of Greystones in relation to the benefits they saw to their local economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭WildWater

@my friend welcome to the Motorhomes & Campervans thread.

I don't see the contradiction at all. We have a degree of self-sufficiency that allows us to dwell in any given location for a short period of time. Now I don't know about you, but when it comes to spending my holiday budget I am quite happy to spend it on goods and services that I need and not at all happy to spend it on ones that I don't. A town or enterprise that welcomes my business by providing facilitates that meet my needs is more likely to get my daily budget spend than one that attempts to force me to pay for services that I neither need nor want. However, may I also point our that when I do want the additional services and advantages of being on a campsite and I consider it value for money then I am quite happy to pay for it.

Our (the camper van community) spend in a locality on food, entertainment, leisure activities etc helps to make those businesses more viable. Something which the people of Greystones have clearly recognised. If businesses are viable then they also exist to provide their service to other local and tourists thereby making the location even more attractive as a destination. Everybody wins. Who wants to visit a town full of closed down businesses? Unfortunately, some people are two narrow minded or too afflicted by self-interest myopia to see this. On the other hand, thankfully there are increasing signs of communities such as Greystones being innovative and enterprising in these challenging times.

Another point for your to consider is the annual spend of Camper Van owners just to have a camper in the first place. Insurance, Tax, Maintenance, Accessories etc all of these are economic activity and directly contribute to jobs, the tax take and the GDP of the country. By my estimate it costs a minimum of €800 annually (breakdown below) to keep a camper van in this country and that is without doing any milage. I believe that there are over 10,000 camper vans registered in this country so that is an annual economic activity of €800 * 10,000 or a cool €8m that the camper van community contributes to the economy before any of us turn the key in the ignition. And btw that does not include camper van sales or spend on accessories!

Something else you might consider is that a proportion of van are rented. Camper van rental is expensive and therefore creates high value spend in the economy. In fact, a local or foreigner renting a camper van in Ireland if probably one of the highest revenue generators in tourism and we should be encouraging more of it. Another proportion are visitors who have come in their own camper to experience Ireland. They bring their much need Euros and sterling with them and also help to ensure that our ports and shipping lines remain viable for other economic activity. Including making it more cost competitive for foreign car and motorbike owners, who will need accommodation, to take driving holiday in Ireland.

Additionally, my friend, if we both decide to visit Greystones this weekend and we both have a budget lets say of €100 and we both spend it there but you spend more on accommodation than I do can you please explain why your €100 spend is better than mine? And before I sign off, in my town it is locals that work in Tesco are we not allowed support their jobs also? Or are their jobs somehow less valuable to that of someone working in the local hotel? If so can you please be the one to tell them.

Finally, I know this is your first post in this forum and perhaps the etiquette is different on the forums you frequent but on here we tend to be respectful of others and generally find it unnecessary to to excessively enlarge and bold a previous posters comments when we wish to make a response. After all why risk being interpreted as being rude when all you want to do is engage in debate?

As I said welcome to the forum, why not stick around you'd never know maybe one day you will buy or rent a camper van for yourself.

Breakdown
    Insurance ~€380
    Tax ~€95
    Road worthiness Test ~€45 PA (Double this if the van is over 10 years)
    Annual Service ~€150
    Tyres ~€150 (thats about the cost of one tyre)
    Habitation check ~€150

If you do the maths that actually totals up to €970 but not every one would do an annual habitation check so I took €800 as a reasonable estimate of the average.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

what is roscommon like for a weekend away, and where would one go and stay for a weekend there, are there good events going on

niloc1951 wrote: »

Perhaps you should re-read the comments attributed to the business community of Greystones in relation to the benefits they saw to their local economy.

Exactly.

The people from Motorhomecraic.com that were in the news article spent money in the Petrol Stations, the Bar and the Cafe. Made apparent by how welcome they were made and by the news article.

• Advertisement

54a2da35da6bc5eda3da8c6ffe530565.png?1340385341

Maybe good news for Portrush.

Motorhomecraic.com

Advertisement