Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

John kerr 1855 where is he?

Options
  • 08-08-2011 7:18pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭

Hi my grandmother asked me to do her mothers family so i'm trying i've got back to her gg grandmother and i know her ggg grandfather but i cannot find anything about him. I don't know his religion either so it could be anything, they were catholic but they owned alot of land so he may have converted. According to the census he was born in 1855 and hes from tyrone, but i don't know anything about tyrone so i'm struggling. Could somebody help me with this? :confused: She mentioned this place clogher but idk where that is and i can't find any kerrs there.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Owen,

As usual, go back to the first principles. Have you got his marriage cert? Or him as a father on birth certs? His birth will be pre-civil certs in Ireland but the rest should be available.

There's a Clogherhead in Co. Louth but it's pretty far from Tyrone.

PP.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Owen,

As usual, go back to the first principles. Have you got his marriage cert? Or him as a father on birth certs? His birth will be pre-civil certs in Ireland but the rest should be available.

There's a Clogherhead in Co. Louth but it's pretty far from Tyrone.

PP.

Nope all i have is the census which says that hes from tyrone and that he was born in 1855 but i cannot find anything for 1855. http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Glendermot/Ballyore/1539075/ I know his wife is mellon but i can't find any reference to marriage. My grandmother keeps mentioning clogher but i doubt there from there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Clogher is a small village in County Tyrone, near the Fermanagh border.

That seems a pretty big age difference between the parents and the eldest child - they would have been 31 when she was born. I'd suspect there's earlier children not living with them. Why don't you start with getting Rose Kerr's birth cert - should be easy enough to find in Derry in 1895-ish to confirm the parents names?

Genealogy Forum Mod

No that's definitely her father my grandmother mentioned him.. We are just trying to see were he was born and his parents

• Advertisement

Yes, but if you can't find a marriage, you have to take it down a generation to go back up. You may have the mother's maiden name incorrect, for example.

Also, I presume you've gone through every John Kerr and Catherine Mellon marriage for the whole of Tyrone/Derry and surrounds? Since the oldest kid was born in Derry, I would include there.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I have just looked and I cannot find anything this is a struggle I can't even find her birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

as pinkypinky mentioned, I'd suggest starting with the basic clues to check if they are correct, and the one to start with Catherine's maiden surname with a birth cert for one of the children. The best match on the index is for the youngest child Neal age 2 on the 1901 return, and there's a good match for his birth on the index in the correct registration district for Ballyore townland :

name: Neal Columbia Kerr
    registration district: Londonderry
    event type: Birth
    quarter and year: Jul - Sep 1898
    volume : 2 / page : 155

have you found the family on the 1911 census ?

Shane

shanew wrote: »
    as pinkypinky mentioned, I'd suggest starting with the basic clues to check if they are correct, and the one to start with Catherine's maiden surname with a birth cert for one of the children. The best match on the index is for the youngest child Neal age 2 on the 1901 return, and there's a good match for his birth on the index in the correct registration district for Ballyore townland :

name: Neal Columbia Kerr
    registration district: Londonderry
    event type: Birth
    quarter and year: Jul - Sep 1898
    volume : 2 / page : 155

have you found the family on the 1911 census ?

Shane

Ya i did her it is: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Glendermot/Ballyore/605273/

• Advertisement

the 1911 census states John and Catherine are married about 30 years - so c1881, and assuming this is reasonable accurate and the couple married in county Derry or Tyrone then these are the registration districts to check for marriages :

Tyrone
    Armagh *
    Castlederg
    Clogher *
    Cookstown
    Dungannon
    Enniskillen *
    Gortin
    Irvinstown *
    Omagh
    Strabane *

Derry
    Ballymoney *
    Coleraine *
    Magherfelt
    Newtonlimavady
    Londonderry
    (the districts with *, cover areas in more than one county)

There are about 7 John Kerr marriages in these districts between 1879-1883

Shane

the 1911 census states John and Catherine are married about 30 years - so c1881, and assuming this is reasonable accurate and the couple married in county Derry or Tyrone then these are the registration districts to check for marriages :

Tyrone
    Armagh *
    Castlederg
    Clogher *
    Cookstown
    Dungannon
    Enniskillen *
    Gortin
    Irvinstown *
    Omagh
    Strabane *

Derry
    Ballymoney *
    Coleraine *
    Magherfelt
    Newtonlimavady
    Londonderry
    (the districts with *, cover areas in more than one county)

There are about 7 John Kerr marriages in these districts between 1879-1883

Shane

Ok how do i find these marriages then? What are the locations do you mind pasting them i might be able to decipher them?

the marriages are on the BMD Index - here's a link to the John Kerrs : https://www.familysearch.org/search/records#count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3AJohn~%20%2Bsurname%3AKerr~%20%2Bmarriage_year%3A1879-1883~&collection_id=1408347&marriage_place0=5

for a possible marriage you need to find a bride and groom with the same references - i.e. the same year/quarter, registration district, volume number and page number

Shane

Would this be them then?

name: Catherine Mellon
    registration district: Omagh
    event type: MARRIAGES
    registration quarter and year: Jul - Sep 1880
    estimated birth year:
    age (at death):
    mother's maiden name:
    film number: 101253
    volume number: 2
    page number: 189
    digital folder number: 4179386
    image number: 00574

name: John Carr
    event type: MARRIAGES
    registration quarter and year: Jul - Sep 1880
    estimated birth year:
    age (at death):
    mother's maiden name:
    film number: 101253
    volume number: 2
    page number: 189
    digital folder number: 4179386
    image number: 00559

found a possible match under a variation in spelling in Co. Tyrone :
    name: John Carr
    event type: Marriage
    quarter and year: Jul - Sep 1880
    volume : 2 / page : 189

name: Catherine Mellon
    [same index details as John]

Shane

owenc wrote: »
    Would this be them then?

just spotted that you posted at about the same time as I replied... I think it could be them Carr is close enough to Kerr, and if Mellon is definitely the correct surname for Catherine' the marriage is worth following up.

Shane

Ok right that has to be them then. I should probably expect them to be baptised in omagh then. But i'm not sure what church considering that dosn't tell you any of that i will look up kerrs im omagh to see if there is any.

Omagh is the district, covers the town and a large area of the county - the marriage could have been in a rural parish

I'd start your search with the church where the marriage took place - the cert will show this

Shane

Omagh is the district, covers the town and a large area of the county - the marriage could have been in a rural parish

I'd start your search with the church where the marriage took place - the cert will show this

Shane

K so do you have to order it or can you get the church online somewhere? By the looks of things the mellons are catholics so maybe it was them who converted him or something.

you can order certs for this date from GRONI or from GRO Roscommon

I am not familiar with the process for GRONI, but I think certs from them are more expensive. The research certs from GRO Roscommon only cost €4 - and all you need are the basic details from the index - i.e. name, registration district, year/quarter, volume & page. The other details are internal references for FamilySearch

see : http://www.groireland.ie/apply_for_a_cert.htm

Dont worry about the extra details on the order form (RSI number etc) - just ensure you include the details above

Shane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I picked my way through the free search option on http://www.rootsireland.ie/, and found the marriage in Omagh (RD). I'm not sure what the "RD" represents, but it is distinct from Omagh (RC), which is the Roman Catholic church. I suspect that it is "Registration District", indicating a civil ceremony rather than a church one. [I'm sure that Shane will know if my guess is correct.]

You can purchase the record online for €5.

I'd agree - that's likely a civil record.

I'd go for the research cert from the GRO though ...the transcripts are not always complete

Shane

Hi thx that's what I suspected does that mean one of them was a Protestant then because that's what I'm suspecting because theres no way Catholics could get all that land in the. 1800s without being converts.. But I canny find his birth and somebody has haddyve converted anyway because Kerr is a Protestant name way border origins

I don't think the fact that they had a civil marriage rather than a church one proves anything conclusively, but it could indeed have happened that way because they were of different religions, one being a Catholic. Treat is as plausible rather than proven.

A Presbyterian would not have married in a Catholic church, and I rather think that a Catholic would not have married in a Presbyterian chapel.

A church marriage from 1880 would also have a civil record - so it could have been in a RC or other church. The only way to be sure is to look at the cert.

Shane

I don't think the fact that they had a civil marriage rather than a church one proves anything conclusively, but it could indeed have happened that way because they were of different religions, one being a Catholic. Treat is as plausible rather than proven.

A Presbyterian would not have married in a Catholic church, and I rather think that a Catholic would not have married in a Presbyterian chapel.

Presbyterians do not call it a chapel its a church. Also why not i know loads of people who have done that. Its had to happened kerr is a protestant name and its not irish so somebody has had to converted i'm just trying to figure who.

A church marriage from 1880 would also have a civil record - so it could have been in a RC or other church. The only way to be sure is to look at the cert.

Shane

K but is there anyway of figuring out where they lived? Because that is the most thing i am interested in as if i get this i can go back further.It would also help at looking at other kerrs in the area and their religions. The kerrs in omagh are mostly church of ireland.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/results.jsp?census_year=1901&surname=kerr&exact=&firstname=&county=&townland=&ded=omagh&age=&sex=&relationToHead=&religion=&education=&occupation=&marriageStatus=&marriageYears=&childrenBorn=&childrenLiving=&birthplace=&language=&deafdumb=&search=Search&sort=&pageSize=100

The marriage cert will give the residences of the bride and groom prior to marriage. As well as this the cert will show place, and date of marriage, names and occupations of fathers, occupation of groom, (and bride if applicable), name of the priest/minister or registrar, and the names of the two witnesses.

Shane

owenc wrote: »
    Presbyterians do not call it a chapel its a church. ....

Okay. Now I know. I wasn't sure, and guessed wrong.

• Advertisement

Ok, Really embarrassed pelease do ignore my naivety! :(

Anyway, I am back and I haven't really made any further progress, although I have found a few things.

1. I'm sure that John Kerrs mother is Phillips.
    http://www.londonderrysentinel.co.uk/news/local/newbuildings-then-and-now-1-2094918

"A man called John Kerr, who took over the local bar after the McIvor family, was the first person in the village to have a car, and was the proud owner of one of the first Fords ever produced, and yes, it was black. His grandfather George Phillips was the second man in the village to get himself some wheels, only he had a big Austin 12."

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Glendermot/Ballyore/1539077/

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000635303/

I am assuming that this William Phillips is a cousin or uncle of John Kerr. Perhaps he is George Phillips brother? What is interesting is that John Kerr owns the house.

Furthermore it would appear that William Phillips is James Phillips son??
    http://applications.proni.gov.uk/DCAL_PRONI_WillsCalendar/willsSearchResultsDetails.aspx

Letters of Administration of the personal estate of James Phillips late of Drumagore County Londonderry Farmer who died 10 March 1854 at same place were granted at Londonderry to William Phillips of Drumagore aforesaid Farmer the Son.

I wonder if they are related?
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Glendermot/Drumagore/1539155/

I found this: he 1833 Tithe Applotment Book shows a James Phillips at Drumnagore, also in Clondermott (Glendermott) parish although towards the south-western end of the parish. His son/nephew/close relative (?) Allan Phillips (who later held this same land) was described as a "strong Covenanter" (as was his wife Eliza Mitchell) . Kind regards, Dave Mitchell, Cape Town, South Africa
    http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=626265.0

Now, my main objective is to find the parents of John Kerr. But thus far I have yet to find anything. I do not even know where he was born. Suffice to say it is likely that his mother is from Derry City as it would seem that the Phillips are well established there.

http://www.billmacafee.com/1831census/1831derrycensusindex.pdf

I have tried searching everywhere for this George Phillips but cannot find anything. I am certain that their marriage is:

Record Type Civil Marriage
    Date of Marriage 12 Sep 1880
    Groom Name John CARR
    Bride Name Catherine MELLON
    Church Fintona Roman Catholic Church
    Parish Donacavey
    Civil District Omagh
    County Tyrone

Thats all I have please try and help I went over to the Rootschat site and got a disgruntled kind of response. I thought i'd try over here.

Advertisement