Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Limerick Data

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Searching the online source at “Roots Ireland” is the fun part :) of doing one’s own research, but a very expensive one.

In my case, I found circa 200 records concerning my surname from 1790 to 1900.

From those 200 records, I viewed only 22 of them at a cost of €5 per view (old price) i.e. my total spend was €110.

However to do a full comprehensive research of my family tree I would need to view all those 200 records which would have set me back €1000 (old price)!

The new price structure would cost €500 plus extra charges for each search.

In my opinion, that online pay-per-view service is not suitable for people like me trying to do a comprehensive research on one’s own family tree.

So I approached the Limerick Genealogy and after two telephone conversations I commissioned them to finish off my research.

Their report costs circa €175 + VAT to do and I must say that I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of their work when I received it.

It was professionally well done, it was comprehensive, it filled the missing gaps in my research and more, the 40 pages or so were well written, structured layout which makes for good reading.

I also received interesting interpretations and tips which opened up more leads to follow up.

For me, it was really great value for money.

1. Ryan
    2. O'Brien
    3. Fitzgerald
    4. Connors
    5. Hayes
    6. Walsh
    7. Sullivan
    8. Moloney
    9. Bourke
    10. Murphy

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

Thanks very much Mari!

Further to this I had a look again at the source that I was confusing with something else and in the pre-1878 period there were Burial Boards that were sub-committee's of the Poor Law Unions.

The source document is in relation to county Galway and seems to discuss what happened in that county from 1889 onwards (but possibly in other counties too?).

Mari, or anyone else, able to shed any light on the Burial Boards?

I wonder if their records, if any, are at NAI. Maybe.

Sorry for late reply, best I can come up with is the establishment of burial boards under UK Burial Acts 1852-57 (and later)........their role was more "health" than "local government"

Thanks ShaneW for highlighting those Irish Times links regarding the Roman Catholic parish registers for Limerick (west, east and city).

It was most interesting to read that there is the possibility to research Limerick baptism and marriage records at the National Library of Ireland for free.

This of course is very convenient if you live in Dublin but if you have to travel up from Limerick, one would probably want to plan one’s visit to the NLI well beforehand.

I had a look at the NLI website and there are 8 microfilm reels for the parishes of Limerick City.

I wonder how much time does a person need to trawl through one such reel?

Any tips as to how to get the maximum out of one’s visit there, as there seems to be limits on the number of media one can access per day?

Limerick City Parishes
    • St. Patrick’s Parish: (NLI Reference Pos. 2410)
    • St. John’s Parish: (NLI Reference Pos. 2411 + 2412)
    • St. Mary’s Parish: (NLI Reference Pos. 2412 + 2413)
    • St. Munchin’s Parish: (NLI Reference Pos. 2413 + 2414)
    • St. Michael’s Parish: (NLI Reference Pos. 2415 + 2416 + 2417)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I wonder how much time does a person need to trawl through one such reel?

Any tips as to how to get the maximum out of one’s visit there..

not an easy question to answer - all depends on the range of dates you want to search, size of of the parish (i.e. population), how clear the handwriting is, the condition of the register etc etc

Some registers have surname indexes (often by first letter of surname rather than true alphabetical), but quite a few do not, so you have to scroll through the films searching for your dates. Some films contains several registers - not always of the same parish.

If you've never searched these particular 8 films before I'd probably allow a day to find your way around them to start with, get used to the layout and start an initial search.

It's also worth double checking if record of these are available anywhere locally - I say it's quite possible that a local library has copies.

The limits you mentioned apply to items you need to order... this doesn't apply to RC parish films as they use a different self-service system. One more detail - bring a list of christian names in Latin..

updated : I had a quick look at Limerick city and county library websites, but didnt see any mention of RC records.

Shane

• Advertisement

Thanks Shane.

I’ve never used library microfilm viewers before. My plan is to look first at the original records of my known relatives, thereafter I intend looking at all the city records containing my surname (1745-1880).

The limits you mentioned apply to items you need to order... this doesn't apply to RC parish films as they use a different self-service system.

That’s good.

It's also worth double checking if record of these are available anywhere locally - I say it's quite possible that a local library has copies.

I’ve just done that by posting a query on the City Library’s thread here on Boards.ie.

The Irish Ancestry Research Centre (IARC) is a leading provider of research, education and training in History of Family and Irish ancestry. The centre also provides digitisation services for local and national repositories with a particular focus on genealogical sources. It is based on the campus of the University of Limerick.

The IARC team of researchers and education professionals is available to you at our walk-in centre in the Tierney Building in Limerick, Ireland. Alternatively browse our services online, and complete our research request form online for genealogical research assistance. As a UL campus company, IARC is a not-for-profit organisation, established in 2011.

Coolnabacky1873 has already started a thread on IARC, but I thought I’d mention it here since it is based on our doorstep in Limerick.

The interesting part about IARC is that you have the opportunity to discuss with someone on a face to face basis about researching one’s own family tree.

The personal contact to Limerick Genealogy can only be made through the phone which can be a downside.

IARC's education programme looks promising too.

See links to their research and education pages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

The transcriptions for 1850s Mount St Lawrence Cemetery with obituary links are here:

http://limerickslife.com/mount-saint-lawrence-cemetery/

The transcriptions for 1850s Mount St Lawrence Cemetery with obituary links are here:

That’s pretty neat linking the Limerick Archives with the Library Local Studies.

Imagine if the city council had the resources to interlink all their historical databases like that (i.e. archives, local studies and museum).

For example that website linked the burial record of John Fitzgerald who died April 1860 with his obituary in the Limerick Chronicle.

On Saturday last, John Fitzgerald, Esq. T.C. proprietor of
    the Garryowen brewery, a gentleman whose death is deeply and
    deservedly regretted by his family and friends. He was of mild
    and unassuming manner, a kind and affectionate husband,
    a fond parent, and a sincere friend. His remains were this day
    interred at Mount St. Lawrence Cemetery, attended by the Corporation
    and civic retinue. The funeral requisites were supplied by
    the firm of Slattery & Co., George’s Street.

Below is an image of Fitzgerald’s Garryowen Brewery from the Limerick Museum.

Limerick's life is doing the same with Street names, though it isn't complete yet, it's a fascinating resource. http://limerickslife.com/street-names/
    Tying all the resources together with those in is a great idea, but a whole lot of work

• Advertisement

The idea of compiling a local history for any particular house is really interesting too, like 100 years of 22 Cecil Street Upper. :cool:

I can from my own experience appreciate the fact, the amount of work and time involved in researching anything like that.

Who knows maybe the city council (archives, library, museum) could explore the idea of starting a project where people could volunteer their time by compiling (linking) available local history onto one platform similar to the concept behind Wikipedia?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I'm pretty sure that the John Joyce mentioned in that Cecil St article is my great-great grandfather's brother. :D

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that the John Joyce mentioned in that Cecil St article is my great-great grandfather's brother. :D
    ‘Tis indeed a small world here on boards.

7320948428_24204aea8b.jpg

Limerick City Street Names ~ Gerry Joyce

Have you ever wondered who the streets of our city are named after? Did you know that almost one hundred and twenty of our streets and lanes underwent a change of name at various times in the past? Or that a staggering three hundred and fifty or so have been demolished in the course of various developments.

When you consider that most of those old streets and lanes were once inhabited, it is important to be able to locate them. The history of both the properties on them and the people who lived in them demand it of us.

If a city’s past is part of its soul, this book is important; it preserves the memory of old street names and, looking beyond to the origins of the names, puts faces on places.

The city library has a pdf version online. :cool:

This book was a great help for me to solve a mistake made by some civil servant in the 1901 census. We were looking for relatives who once lived in a small lane off Queen Street. Apparently the name of this particular lane existed twice in Limerick and thus the whole lane was transferred from the Shannon Ward into the Custom House ward. Searching for that lane wrecked my head but thankfully Gerry Joyce’s book clarified the matter.

The 3rd part of this book deals with streets or lanes that have vanished due to demolition / Development. Unfortunately it can only give an approximate location of where a lane once existed. This book needs a complimentary map to pin-point exactly where all those vanished lanes once were. Incidentally I’m still looking for a map where this lane is named.

7018690611_f28756d95c_c.jpg

Why is Griffith’s Valuation important for Irish Genealogy?

The focus of the Griffith’s Valuation was taxation, not family or demographic information, and any genealogical or local historical information it supplies is purely incidental. So why is it of such importance for Irish research?

The simple reason is the destruction of The Public Record Office of Ireland in 1922. The Office had been part of the Four Courts complex for more than five decades when, on April 13th 1922, forces opposed to the Treaty with Britain occupied the entire compound. The occupation aimed to be a direct challenge to the authority of the Provisional Government by paralysing the centre of legal administration for the entire island. It continued for more than two months as both sides struggled to avoid direct confrontation.

The time was put to good use by the occupying forces in organising their logistics. In particular, for their munitions dump they chose the most heavily built and therefore the safest part of the complex, the strong room of the Public Record Office.

On June 28th, under intense pressure from the British government, the Provisional Government began an assault. After two days of shelling, a number of huge explosions destroyed the Public Record Office. Fires started as a result of the shelling had ignited the stored munitions and the destructive force of the blasts had been magnified by confinement within the reinforced walls of the strong room. A giant mushroom cloud rose over the city. Everything in the strong room was destroyed.

The returns from 1861, 1871, 1881, and 1891 had already been destroyed by official order, so the biggest loss was the 19th-century census returns of 1821, 1831, 1841 and 1851. If these had survived, Griffith’s would be a footnote in most research; as things stand it is the only comprehensive, or near- comprehensive, account of where people lived in mid-nineteenth century Ireland. It covers over a million dwellings, and nearly 20 million acres, recording around 80% of the population. Because the Valuation was published (and has long been out of copyright) it is by far the most widely available record used for Irish research.

Ask about Ireland - John Grenham

In my case, there were only three people with my surname listed in the 1850 Griffith’s Valuation.

One person in particular had the exact same name as that of my great-great-grandfather, was renting a house and garden and subletting a number of houses on Edward Street in the parish of St. Michael’s.

Sounds good.

However my great-great-grandfather would have been only twenty years old then and he worked as a labourer in the 1860s and 1870s.

It even seems unlikely that this person listed in Griffith’s with his various properties would have even been the father of my great-great-grandfather.

On the other hand I have the impression that this person (landlord/Lodger) was not the real property owner at all but acted as an agent for a nearby Doctor who in turn had a portfolio of larger properties on the same street.

Another lead for me is name of John McCawley who is also listed with a property just across the road on same street.

This is interesting, because a certain John McCawley was a witness at the marriage of my great-great-grandparents a couple of years later.

The name McCawley is unusual for Limerick as it appears only once in the valuation and I have never found any other references to it in Limerick.

That’s my problem, in that I keep coming back to this lead over and over again because I just can’t prove if it is a valid link or not.

I wonder where can one see property deeds dealing with ownership (1850s) for Edward Street?

7382172650_a32bc73b97_c.jpg

The Griffith's Valuation map for Limerick City shows the dwellings as numbered in the valuation sheets.

Alas the “Ask About Ireland” website's link for the city map above has not been working for some months now.

On top of that the quality of map is not great i.e. blurred and tattered.

One of my favourite maps is a 1840 reconstruction done by RIA because its great on detail.

It would be a cool project for someone like the Limerick Civic Trust if they took that map a stage further and add all the GV dwelling numbers to it.

Below a 1840 RIA map extract of the numerous lanes (like Hunts Lane) that don't exist any more.

7382170920_16ff1c3fff_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭blackwarrior

One of my favourite maps is a 1840 reconstruction done by RIA because its great on detail.

Below a 1840 RIA map extract of the numerous lanes (like Hunts Lane) that don't exist any more.

Hi BR - where is that map available online? Or did you have to buy it? That RIA work on Limerick looks great.

I'm digging around my family tree too - all based in Thomondgate for 5 generations - I'm still trying to find out what year my great-great grandfather was born ....

Hi BW, that particular 1840 map is not online as far as I know.
    I bought the “Irish Historic Towns Atlas No. 21 Limerick” two years ago and it contains a book, printed maps and drawings of the city, plus the same again in pdf format on a CD-ROM.
    If any one is really interested in the local history of Limerick City, then I can only highly recommend it and it's great value for money too.
    There is an OSI public viewer which is freely available.
    They have modern and historic maps online.
    By zooming in on Limerick, the (Preview Map Series) legend on the right hand side enables one to select various maps of Limerick at different periods of time, like ….

• Street Map = 2012 map
    • Historic 25” = 1900 map
    • Historic 6” = 1840 map

Hi BW, that particular 1840 map is not online as far as I know.

I bought the “Irish Historic Towns Atlas No. 21 Limerick” two years ago and it contains a book, printed maps and drawings of the city, plus the same again in pdf format on a CD-ROM.

There is an OSI public viewer which is freely available.
    They have modern and historic maps online.

Much appreciated. I often use those OSI historic maps - my friends can't believe when I show them "sliding" into view over modern streets! But I often wondered what were the approximate years they represented - thanks for that too.

I'll get the RIA book -it looks really interesting. And I think I'm going to commission Limerick Genealogy to finish my research - it's too easy to waste money on Roots Ireland now.

It would be a cool project for someone like the Limerick Civic Trust if they took that map a stage further and add all the GV dwelling numbers to it.

Fat chance of this happening now.

Last weeks Limerick Post reports that the historical research and publishing project with the Limerick Civic Trust, which has produced scores of publications, books, maps and historical reference material, has been ended and the two people behind it (Dave Lee, Debbie Jacobs) made redundant.

That's really bitter. :(

• Advertisement

If any one is really interested in the local history of Limerick City, then I can only highly recommend it and it's great value for money too.

Completely agree with you on that, pulled my copy out again this evening and was wowed once more with the information in there.

As for the Civic Trust, AFAIK this is the second lot of cuts in the last six months, I am not sure what direction they want to head in now, I'm not sure if they know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Even though I’ve not many links with Limerick City I really enjoy that site. Very sad, but when you hear ‘Fas’ and then read they ‘decide on schemes on a point-scoring basis’ it can be expected that common sense goes out the window. Did anyone do a cost/benefit analysis? The disconnect between our rulers/their minions and the reality of ordinary business grows bigger every day.

As for the Civic Trust, AFAIK this is the second lot of cuts in the last six months, I am not sure what direction they want to head in now, I'm not sure if they know.
    Of course Denis Leonard's untimely death in 2009 was the biggest blow of all, as one sensed that he had a lot of ideas in the pipeline that he wanted to realise for the city.
    His modus operandi was improvement of our environment by positive action, that is what the civic trust is all about, irrespective of good times or bad.

Very sad, but when you hear ‘Fas’ and then read they ‘decide on schemes on a point-scoring basis’ it can be expected that common sense goes out the window. Did anyone do a cost/benefit analysis?

A good point, I'll just copy and paste the research departments contribution to the heritage of the city to date.

The objectives of a Civic Trust mandate us to “Create a better understanding of our heritage through new information, advice and education.” All of our research work is based on sourcing new unpublished material and then making our recordings and findings available to the public in different formats. To date we have published:

Books

• The Pery Square Tontine Story
    • The Georgian House & Garden “A historic Limerick House”
    • Georgian Limerick Vol. I
    • Remembering Limerick - Detailing information on Limerick’s general and Mayoral history.
    • Georgian Limerick Vol. II
    • Made in Limerick. Vol. I - History of Limerick’s industries, trade and commerce.
    • James Pain Architect - A study on the life and work of this renowned architect.
    • Made in Limerick Vol II - Essays and articles based on new research.
    • Limerick Civic Trust - The First 25 Years 1983-2009
    • Parker Carrol - This was a joint project between Brian O'Connell, Limerick Civic Trust and Oviado University, Spain to research and produce a biography on a forgotten Irish hero.
    Surveys and Public Service

General research work for the general public.

• Recorded information on headstones in burial grounds.
    • Erected sixty-six historical plaques in two phases.
    • King’s Island survey: a development study.
    • Information given to students and the public.
    • The Crescent, a survey and proposal for its preservation.
    • Nicholas Street development plan.
    • Photography survey of the facades of existing Georgian buildings.
    • The Folklore Project: 138 interviews recorded to date.
    • Georgian street furniture survey.
    • City Centre Environment Survey.
    • The Exchange Wall: Arranged for a condition survey and a work methodology plan.
    • Over 300 items of art, sculpture, monuments, murals, antiquities. etc. located throughout the streets of Limerick were recorded and catalogued.
    • St. Saviour's Priory Wall, Bishop Street: Condition survey and conservation methodology report on.
    Booklets, Maps and Walking Trail

• Limerick City Walking Tours - Brochure advertising 5 different walking tours in Limerick
    • Limerick Civic Plaques - Commemorating Limerick People who contributed to the history of Limerick City
    • Limerick Street Antiquities - A record of historical artefacts
    • Limerick – An Appreciation - A précis of Limerick’s history.
    • Heritage Precinct Walking Trail - A self-guided tour of the King’s Island area.
    • A Trail of Three Limerick - Three walking trails based on our plaques project.
    • The Georgian House & Garden - A visitor’s guide.
    • The Limerick We Don’t See - A treasure trail of architectural features in the Newtown Pery area.
    • The Limerick We Don’t See No. 2 - Englishtown Trail.
    • The Hall of Fame Portraits - Honouring the achievements of 23 Limerick people.
    • The Limerick We Don’t See No 3 - Irishtown Trail.
    • Limerick – The Past Revisited - Two riverside walks between Thomond and Shannon Bridges.
    • Georgian Limerick - An illustrated map of Newtown Pery.
    • Limerick Civic Trust - A Record of Achievement
    • A 32 page calendar for January 2008 - January 2010, illustrating 25 selected Trust projects.
    • Art in the Street Though the Lens - Following a survey a booklet on street art via four walking trails was published.
    • The Bishops' Palace - The Georgian House - A short history of these historic properties.
    • Medieval Limerick - An illustrated map and booklet of Limerick in the 1650's
    • Limerick Soccer - Research on the senior team's history.
    Current Research for:
    • Georgian Limerick Vol. III
    • Made in Limerick Vol. III
    • Limerick’s Cultural Heritage
    • A booklet series on one topic subject

I received the Towns Atlas recently and spent time in the past couple of days going through it. It's a staggeringly good history of Limerick, brought to life by a myriad of maps and pictures. As a 50+ year old citizen of Limerick, it's only now that I appreciate the history of my home town.

It was particularly remarkable to see the city burst out of it's old Irishtown wall in the 18th century. Irishtown is still there - you can easily trace it out on even current maps. However, I suspect that few routine visitors to the Milk Market, Donkey Ford's, Cross's Undertakers, Baal's Bridge, St John's Hospital, etc. realise the true history of the neighbourhood they're in.

Interesting to see too that the main roads from Mungret (monastery), "Kerry", and Croom/Kilpeacon came into Limerick at the Milk Market. The roads from Dublin and Cork (old Cork road) entered the city at what is now St John's Hospital. Those gates, and Thomondgate, were the only main ways into Limerick city really. Quite a fortified place.

I recommend the Town Atlas to anyone interested in understanding the development and growth of the city.

Research, Archive and Genealogical Services (Valuation Office)

Our public office team provides inspection facilities for members of the public to view all current and archive rating records and maps. Our archives contain the original books and surveys carried out in the 1840s, books and maps of Griffith's Valuations in the 1850s, and documentation showing the subsequent revisions up to the current position. The public office team also provides the following certificates and services:

• Current certificates of rateable valuation
    • Historical certificates of rateable valuation
    • Certified copies of valuation maps
    • Provisional valuation certificates
    • Inspection of archival material
    • Inspection of the results of the revision and appeal process

I wonder has anybody ever availed of their genealogical services in order to get more details from the Griffith's Valuations?

It seems that their present day maps retain the original numbering system from the 1850s.

1829 Freeholders in Limerick City and Environs (Limerick City Library)

"The forty-shilling freehold was the qualification under which Catholics obtained the right to vote following Hobart's 1793 relief act. It was a short-lived concession. The emancipation act of 1829 - which permitted Catholics to sit in parliament - abolished the forty-shilling franchise by raising the threshold to ten pounds and at a stroke reduced the county electorate from over 200,000 to 37,000."

"Freehold land was, and is, a parcel of land held for an indefinite time, as distinguished from a leasehold which is held for a specific period. It generally required the payment of a fixed sum...and attendance at the manor court..."

Both quotes from Byrne's dictionary of Irish Local History by Joseph Byrne (Mercier Press, 2004)
    The City Library has compiled lists (alphabetically sorted) of the 1829 Freeholders.

Like the Griffiths Valuations, this proved an interesting source for me as I found a very useful new lead for my own genealogy research from 1823. :)

There is a new local genealogy forum on Limerick’s Life website. :cool:

Do you know any men with one of the names listed below?

Have their family lived in Limerick for 3 generations?

Would they like to know the DNA history of their family and their possible Viking ancestry?

Gathering at Fennesseys! 21st Oct @12

If you have one of the following surnames or you know somebody who does and would like to take part in a DNA research study being organised in conjunction with Mary Immaculate College, please ring 086-0679708 or write to catherine.swift@mic.ul.ie and we’ll forward the details

Adam, Apple, Archer, As/Ashe, Baggott – Baggat, Begg/Small, Bennett , Blake , Bonfield, Bowles, Broder, Brown(e), Breathnach/Walsh, Bryan/Brien, Burgh/Bourke, Cahill/O’Cahill, Cashel, Clare, Cleary , Colley – Cole, Conell/O’Connell, Conyers, Coughlan/O’Coughlan, Creagh, Dene/Dean, Duane, Duff, English/England/Angland , Fanning , Fant, Flahive/O’Flahive, Fleming, Gibbon/Fitzgibbon, Gilbert, Giltenan, Hammond, Harold/Harrol, Hay/Haye, Hart, Houlihan, Howard, Hubert/Herbert, Jordan, Keating, Kemmy/ Kemmey, Kirby, Lamb/Lambe, Macessy, Maurice/Morris, Martin, Maxey, McAuliffe, McEnery, Miniter, Mullony/O’Mullony, Nash, Neil, Nolan/O’Nolan, Noonan/O’Noonan, Norris, O’Carran/Curran, O’Casey/Casey, O’Donovan, O’Flyn, O’Grady, Ogriffa/Griffin, O’Regan/Regan, Owen, Payne, Palmer, Perrot, Power/le Poer, Raley/Raleigh/Rawley/Ralley, Rede/Ready Rice, Riddle, Roche, Ronan/O’Ronan, Russell, Sheedy, Simon/Simmons, Stackpoole, Stephens/Fitzstephen, Stokes, Ston/Stone, Stritch, Sugrue, Swayn/Swain, Tankard Tancard/Tancred, Thomas, Thursteyn/Tursten , Wall/Vale, Waters, White, Williams, Wolf

I just read this on the History & Heritage forum. :cool:

• Advertisement

How to trace your Limerick Family History. (Limerickslife)
    Some very useful tips to be got there. :)

Advertisement