Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to research your Irish family - first post updated.

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

owenc wrote: »
    Yes sort of, i mean websites that have a list of sources and important dates of when things will be released?

I think that will depend on the county, area and type of data you are interested in, as different websites are involved. e.g. PRONI, National Archives, Emerald Ancestors, IFHF etc

Shane

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

shanew wrote: »
    I think that will depend on the county, area and type of data you are interested in, as different websites are involved. e.g. PRONI, National Archives, Emerald Ancestors, IFHF etc

Shane

Ok thanks just wondering whats ifhf? It may come in usefull.:pac:

Irish Family History Foundation , aka BRS Genealogy aka RootsIreland.ie...

Shane

shanew wrote: »
    Irish Family History Foundation , aka BRS Genealogy aka RootsIreland.ie...

Shane

Alright thanks i'll just have to wait on proni releasing new stuff as apparently they are putting everything onto their website.

I understand PRONI may be about to move to new premises in the next month or so (Titanic Quarter) so they might be a little disorganized for a while

Shane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

I only recently discovered RootsIreland.ie. It's a very good website but god is it expensive! I was only on it 10 minutes and 80euro disappeared!

Obviously I cannot afford to be spending money like this. Are they're any other cheaper options for obtaining certs?

Thank you in advance.

depends on the dates involved... for records after the start of full Civil registration (1864 - see the sticky on this forum for more info..) you can order certs from the GRO. There are no true certs for earlier records, just parish records (i.e. baptism, marriage etc)- usually as transcripts. Records for some parts of Ireland are available on www.irishgenealogy.ie - but this mostly contains areas not covered by the IFHF / RootsIreland.

Once you know the parish involved the cheapest way to research is to visit the National Library for RC records, or the Representative Church Body Library for Church of Ireland records.

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭louis346789

try these two sites. both free

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/frameset_search.asp

https://beta.familysearch.org/

I find with roots ireland search if you do a lot of free cross checking , its slow , by parish and by both husband and wife name search you can usually select the right further information to pay for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 celticraven

I have an ancestor who, according to the 1841 Scottish census was born in Ireland, and I have a possible d.o.b, but cannot find him anywhere (I know details of his life from Scotland onwards, but not even when he emigrated to Scotland).

As I am nowhere near Ireland (unfortunately :() is there anywhere online (for free if poss, woe is me) I can possibly check to narrow down my search? I have tried as many online sites as possible, and have gone through suggestions listed here. He was born circa 1811.

Also, if I have a possible birth date, but no place within Ireland, can I still send for a birth certificate? What details would they be needing me to supply?

On the 1841 census I checked in and around his area in Scotland in case family had migrated with him, and there are some possibilities, but can not find even one match back in Ireland to be able to 'confirm or deny' their relationship to my rellie *bangs head against brick wall*

My aunt, who has been a family genealogist since pen & paper were invented (;)) could find no trace of him, so perhaps there just plain are no documents surviving? But then how would I know for sure unless I knew which part of the country he was from? arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh :eek:

Any helpful advice much appreciated!

Full civil registration started in Ireland in 1864 - so there are no birth certs before this date. For earlier details you need to research church records, and to start this you need to know the family religion and which parish they lived in so you can check what records, if any, are available for the dates you need.

Knowing the location and parish is vital, since not all parishes have records back to 1810s. e.g. few rural RC parishes have records before 1830..

There's no centralized index of available records, and unless you are lucky enough to have an ancestor from a very prominent family, or with a very unusual name then you need to know the location and ideally other family details (e.g. parents or sibling names) before you start.

Shane

• Advertisement

Oh, bugga! :(

Okay, so he was one of the founding members of a Presbyterian church as an early settler in NZ - so can I presume that was was likely to have always been a Presbyterian? And if so, would he have been more likely to have come from the northern area of Ireland?

I am also thinking that he likely emigrated to Scotland just before the famine started, thankfully.

Thank you, Shane for your info :)

Hi what is his surname I might be able tp narrow down the area where he may have been from if he is presbyterian he is more than likely to be from the north coast area.. I have a couple of useful websites ( including useful census which are only available for co Londonderry and Antrim) here: http://www.billmacafee.com/ this website contains several documents which are not available online and you would have to come here for.. You could look on emerald ancestors? I think it Is highly unlikely that you will find him I'm a Presbyterian church in 1811 as most records didn't start until 1820/30 you could however check C of I churches as the Presbyterians only had an option of using their churches in penal times.. Ps If you need anything else do ask.. What is his full name I could look in certain places for you of you want..
    If the name is rare then it willbe really easy to track down an area!? Edit: Wait just reading is his surname reilly?? That is a County Londonderry and Antrim ( the county Londonderry ones are concentrated almost wholly around limavady so that could be a place to look)they are of mixed
    religion some C of I and some Presbyterian they are very common so it will be hard to track
    him down.. In fact I doubt you'll find him with a name like that sorry.. Even more he's probably called John or something and with the little imformation you have you'll probably never find him :(

Hi OwenC
    No, the surname is Quin.

No wonder my aunt never had any luck finding him *sigh*.
    Thanks for all suggestion :)

Hi OwenC
    No, the surname is Quin.

No wonder my aunt never had any luck finding him *sigh*.
    Thanks for all suggestion :)

Aw rite that is a northern Ireland name it's not very common so might find him? It depends what townland it is some townlands gave churches that go back into the 1700s .. I'm surprised your ancestor Is presbyterian because that is an almost exclusively catholic name the fact he's presbyterian should tell you that he is from county Antrim..

Thank you, that may help me concentrate on Antrim first then. I search sites like familysearch and I think there are a few Antrim Quins who pop up, so will have to redig :)

As an aside, talking of his church here I went onto its website and they'd put up some historical documents relating to the church, and in one I actually found a sketch of him! :D I do love being a genealogical detective sometimes :cool:

I wonder if he left Ireland simply because he aligned himself with a different religion? Intriguing..

Hi what is the name of the church he founded alot of people from here founded Presbyterian churches in my area alone two people founded the Presbyterian church in different countries one founded the presbyterian church in America and another in Canada.. And there's a very high possibility that he left because of religious persuction in the 1800s thousands of Presbyterians left

Apparently the church has been through a few name changes, but it started as an offshoot of the Church of Scotland, the Free Church of Scotland, in the 1840s when settlers arrived.

Apparently the church has been through a few name changes, but it started as an offshoot of the Church of Scotland, the Free Church of Scotland, in the 1840s when settlers arrived.

Awk rite thats different to the ones who went to america they actually left here for america not scotland. Goodness me don't talk, there are like 90000 different types of presbyterian churches its just awful and each one is the same as the original one bar one wee point don't see the point in that! It dosn't make sense why would you form a church over one wee small change! Its mindnumbing the amount of different churches their are and then you've got 1st, 2nd and 3rd ewgh don't talk to me about that!?

lol - yes, it certainly is interesting that they feel the need to 'break away' and form a tremendous amount of offshoots, but that seems to be the way of the world!

Imagine, though, if places like McDonalds had fans of just one burger who started breaking away with offshoot stores - you would have a McCheese franchise, or a McFish chain of restaurants ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

WDD wrote: »
    Hi Guys, I'm searching for my family tree on both sides (I know.....a lot of work). I didn't think it would be, but I'm addicted now lol.
    Just a quick question........I've managed to track my GGG Grandfather to my GG Grandfathers wedding in 1885 but then the trail goes cold, I've been surfing the net for months in an effort to further my search but it's been futile so far.......ant idea's? both families are from Dublin, Ireland.

Best to start a new thread for this - perhaps one of the mods could split it?

I presume you've read the first few posts on this thread and looked at the various options? Give us some more detail and we can take a look. Dublin ancestors are not as difficult as they used to be - between Irishgenealogy.ie and the census.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
Advertisement