Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is the Golden Gate bridge in California overrated? It's a bridge like.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I like the bridge in It's a wonderful life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

gogo wrote: »
    The Golden Gate Bridge is considered one of the seven wonders of the modern world, it’s not just a great piece of engineering, it’s a master piece of engineering.

Sydney Harbour bridge is similarily an amazing piece of engineering.

Visit a small local stream and try to imagine building a bridge over it that a 100k plus cars can drive over, when your sitting in the stream after your bridge collapses, think again about the scale of both the Golden Gate Bridge and Sydney Harbour.

True that!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,174 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I just associate it with people killing themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

The GG is a beautiful structure.

I've driven it in a car and on a Harley, I've piloted a light aircraft over it and driven a boat under it.

I was also once the only person on it one morning at 0300 once.

Only bummer is the smell of fumes when you walk across it.

The fact that it is built to resist strong earthquakes Is quite impressive. It's not so much the appearance of these engineering marvels, what their capacity to do the job they were designed to do. The Golden Gate & Alcatraz are distinctive landmarks when the flight from Dublin begins its descent having turned out over the coast and then heads back left into the bay almost directly over San Francisco so if you are sitting left side you get a nice prolonged view of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The fact that it is built to resist strong earthquakes Is quite impressive. It's not so much the appearance of these engineering marvels, what their capacity to do the job they were designed to do. The Golden Gate & Alcatraz are distinctive landmarks when the flight from Dublin begins its descent having turned out over the coast and then heads back left into the bay almost directly over San Francisco so if you are sitting left side you get a nice prolonged view of them.

Agreed the view coming into land over the bay is fairly impressive. T'is a great pity the city is such a ****ehole ...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I thought it was very impressive in real life.
    The cycle over and back on the ferry from Sausalito is really nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

We caught a real live Karl Pilkington here folks¡

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

It's a great looking thing alright. What was the most surprising thing to me was driving late one night to Stinson Beach via the Golden Gate Park. Those narrow winding roads with no lighting was pretty freaky. I may be mistaken, but there didn't seem to be human habitation for miles til we got to our destination... That was in 1990.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Why is it called the Golden Gate Bridge when it's red.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

Did the tourist thing and cycled across it to Sausolito. It's a grand bridge and looks nice when it's lit up at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

It should be destroyed to prevent the apes from using it to take over the planet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Prefer the one is Lisboa myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,919 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

AMKC wrote: »
    I get that it was a great piece of engineering for it's time but it's a bridge and guess what it's not even made from Gold. So is it overrated. I think it is.
    In fact while I am at it the Harbour Bridge in Sydney is another overrated bridge and I have been at that bridge. In fact I walked across it 7 times and got the train once across it when I was there .
    So is it overrated?

What other bridges are overrated to you?

Seen it, been on it and boring, the finest Bridge in the world both estically and well built has to be the Charles Bridge in Prague, its an extraordinary medieval masterpiece.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Tower Bridge in London is the one that I like the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Tower Bridge in London is the one that I like the most.

Yeah that's like a castle with a bit to let passing sea craft through.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

It is marvellous, to think humans had the capacity to gather up all the material needed to build such a vast structure to bridge that enormous void that carries thousands of cars across the valley daily, to me that is unbelievable and to think how aesthetically pleasig it is on top of that is just really beyond amazing. To think it was still built without the use of any computer software or internet on top of that just makes it even more impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

gogo wrote: »
    imagine building a bridge over it that a 100k plus cars can drive over

All this without mentioning it has a literal zip on it to make the lane width increase or decrease accoding to commuter needs on a given day i.e. morning or evening

http---makeagif_com--media-1-14-2015-0jRWBy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

No it's a fantastic feat of engineering and it's located in one of the most scenic metropolitan areas on the planet.

My first time flying into San Francisco it was a perfect day and you could clearly see the Golden Gate Bridge. Experience that vividly remains with me to this day nearly 22 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

It's not even made of gold either like. And no feckin gate on the thing. Shoddy out.

International Orange is the official colour or so our tour guide told us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Omackeral wrote: »
    All this without mentioning it has a literal zip on it to make the lane width increase or decrease accoding to commuter needs on a given day i.e. morning or evening

http---makeagif_com--media-1-14-2015-0jRWBy.gif

When I lived there over 20 years ago they did this but in a lower tech way. There was a truck where a lad lay down on a platform and he pulled the cones up/put them down.

On the name of it as someone was asking - The Golden Gate is the straight that the bridge spans which connects SF bay with the Pacific.

The currents, wind and fog are pretty treacherous so makes it an even greater feat of engineering.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

The majority of tourist attractions are a disappointment when you finally see them. Movies and tv shows often hype up the significance and size of these locations or monuments. Best example being the Statue of Liberty, my God its TINY! When you see it on tv, they cleverly edit out the fact she is sitting on the middle of a sizable enough island in the Hudson and not some behemoth rising from the sea, which the helicopter shots suggest. Same when I saw Niagra Falls, that was a lot smaller than i expected. Ditto the Christ statue in Rio and the Sacred Toe in Sri Lanka. Take away the Golden Gate Bridge and you have a very generic looking city completely indistinguishable from dozens and dozens of other cities in the USA.

I have traveled the world and hand on heart, the only tourist attraction I have ever seen which is actually bigger and more impressive than I imagined was the Eiffel Tower, which would literally take your breath away when you are standing under the legs and looking up. Its size is impossible to describe. Impressive!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

Yep it’s overrated, especially when you can’t see it for the fog.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Take away the Golden Gate Bridge and you have a very generic looking city completely indistinguishable from dozens and dozens of other cities in the USA.

What?

San Francisco even without the Golden Gate looks nothing like any other American city.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I've seen the bridge in Lisbon. It's just as big and the same colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭tadgho

As far as bridges go, it's pretty impressive, especially given its age. Tough crowd here!!:o

Advertisement