Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Springboard courses. Free college courses sponsored by the Irish Government

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭lickalot

Higher Diploma in Science in Computing (Cloud Infrastructure) Institute of Technology Tralee Level 9

Higher Diploma in Science in Networking and Systems (Full-time / 1 year)

Very interested in these two. Work full time in IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

If you don't have a level 6, can you do a level 7?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭mad m

lickalot wrote: »
    Higher Diploma in Science in Computing (Cloud Infrastructure) Institute of Technology Tralee Level 9

Higher Diploma in Science in Networking and Systems (Full-time / 1 year)

Very interested in these two. Work full time in IT.

Honestly go for it. I started last September. In final semester, final exams in August. It flew in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Some of the courses on there are brilliant, its worth having a good look at that excel file.

Can anyone tell me why are some of the level 9's called a certificate in ..... I always thought a level 9 is a masters or a post graduate diploma.

Because it isn't a level 9 qualification you get, its not worth enough credits. Best way to think of it is its set at level 9 difficulty.

You only get certs with all of them, level 6 will be easier and require less work etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Brozy

Can anyone tell me why are some of the level 9's called a certificate in ..... I always thought a level 9 is a masters or a post graduate diploma.

I'd imagine you only do a few modules and not enough credits for the full diploma or masters.

I just completed a level 7 certificate course through springboard and I'd highly recommend it. Especially if you can find something you're interested in or relevant to your job. I changed industry this year and it definitely helped having the course on my CV. It's also a great way to update your CV.

A word of warning for those working full-time and looking at a course. I only had 2 modules at once but dedicating the time to coursework and studying was tough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭taytobreath

FFVII wrote: »

It would depend on your recognized prior learning, for example have you a job someway related to the level 7 course you are applying for. Look up the course and see their entry requirements and see if they have a mature entry route or a R.P.L. route, they usually do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭This is it

FFVII wrote: »

You would need to have a level 6 previously or study up to level 7 over the course of two to three years which would incorporate the level 6 in the course. You couldn't skip level 6 and do a one year level 7. The one year would be an addition for someone that already has a level 6 higher certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Pickboosgo

Could anyone recommend a course in Limerick with good employment prospects afterwards. None of them relate in anyway to what I have previously studied/ worked at, but can't find work in my area and just want a decent job don't care what as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

Did a level 7 recently, what I found was unless previously employed in the chosen subject area, still pretty hard to get into.
    Having said that, I'm looking to do a level 8 in the same field.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

That's the thing right, crossing over into another area without the exp to back it up. Back to the catch 22.

• Advertisement

I went back to college as a mature student using Springboard and got a job in IT from it. Have managed to progress nicely in the meantime. No different than accessing the course direct, except it costs much less, or nothing in some cases

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Jet Black

This is it wrote: »
    I went back to college as a mature student using Springboard and got a job in IT from it. Have managed to progress nicely in the meantime. No different than accessing the course direct, except it costs much less, or nothing in some cases

Can I ask what course you did? Was it part time or full time? Would be interested in that area myself.

Jet Black wrote: »
    Can I ask what course you did? Was it part time or full time? Would be interested in that area myself.

Computer Science. I did it part time which is labeled as 19 hours I think, but realistically you're talking 30+ hours most weeks between college, study and projects, and more again for end of semester projects and exams.

I'm full time now but looking at some courses to see if anything takes my fancy.

It's a shame they don't have the website updated with all the course information like last year.

It was very easy to navigate and pick out courses that interested you.

Now you have to search the course from the title and the institutions have different webpage layouts which puts me off searching.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭OnLooker

20 years working in development.

Thinking of doing the Certificate in Cloud Solutions Architecture in Tallaght IT or Post Graduate Diploma in Cyber Security in NCI.

Has anyone completed these courses?

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

mad m wrote: »
    Quick enough Id say, couple of the lads didn't get it on my course, there is only a certain amount of funding.

thanks mad m

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭go4it

Brozy wrote: »
    It's a shame they don't have the website updated with all the course information like last year.

Now you have to search the course from the title and the institutions have different webpage layouts which puts me off searching.

You'll be able to look-up and navigate through courses on thursday 25th

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

If anyone is worried they might not meet the criteria for doing a level 7/8 I say to you just apply. I am currently doing a level 7 Bsc in ITT with the option of a 4th year for a level 8. I thought I wouldn't meet the criteria for it but I have the experience in the IT industry. In the end there wasn't an interview nor did they ask about my experience , although I had to do a maths course for a few weeks beforehand, this was more to show that you are committed.

Colleges are due to lose a lot of money this year due to covid so they will be looking to recoup as much as possible, you have nothing to lose by applying and everything to gain. So go for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭rom

OnLooker wrote: »
    20 years working in development.

Thinking of doing the Certificate in Cloud Solutions Architecture in Tallaght IT or Post Graduate Diploma in Cyber Security in NCI.

Has anyone completed these courses?

No matter how good quality they are I would not waste my time on those. Sadly recruiters look for the same certs globally. I only found this out after my Masters in Network Security many years ago.

For cloud you probably want to pick a track and study for the certs. Things like amazon acloudguru etc.

Personally I would go for a CISSP instead of a grad diploma.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

rom wrote: »
    No matter how good quality they are I would not waste my time on those. Sadly recruiters look for the same certs globally. I only found this out after my Masters in Network Security many years ago.

For cloud you probably want to pick a track and study for the certs. Things like amazon acloudguru etc.

Personally I would go for a CISSP instead of a grad diploma.

So true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    No issue with work or salary. I done a level 9 masters part time while working full time. Only had to pay 10% (€800) of the course fee and the other €7200 was covered by springboard

How did you get this? Is it first come first served?

I work in IT as a software tester but would love to up-skill further in management. Money is tight so I'd definitely be interested if I can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭mad m

cronos wrote: »
    How did you get this? Is it first come first served?

I work in IT as a software tester but would love to up-skill further in management. Money is tight so I'd definitely be interested if I can do it.

Register on springboard and apply for course. You need to up load stuff and answer questionnaire, they will look for ppsn number etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Hard to know what the hell to take the plunge/leap of faith at.

To be honest a new industry that is decent paying (€50K+) would be a godsend for myself.
    I'm in construction and detest it, have spent a lot of time over the last 18 months - 2 years soul searching and working with career coach for 1-2 sessions etc to find out what I'm interested in. I know it isn't construction, as a QS i wouldn't even consider doing something else like health & safety, project management etc.

I had a root around on datacamp last night to see if i'd enjoy data analytics/software eng, but it wasn't up my street at all.
    I think I just want to get away from sitting at a computer all day and do something fulfilling rather than churning numbers.
    Which to be honest, in 2020 is very difficult, most jobs require desk time.

Head is wrecked on what to apply for tomorrow, will probably apply to a good few!!

Would agree on the layout tihs year - it's all well and good saying you can search the courses tomorrow when they go live, but sure they could be gone in a flash with all the people losing their jobs over the last few months.
    I've looked at that excel file of lists then went onto the university it's from, but it is tedious when you don't know what you're looking for.

Thanks for the thread, good to hear of other people in the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Hard to know what the hell to take the plunge/leap of faith at.

To be honest a new industry that is decent paying (€50K+) would be a godsend for myself.
    I'm in construction and detest it, have spent a lot of time over the last 18 months - 2 years soul searching and working with career coach for 1-2 sessions etc to find out what I'm interested in. I know it isn't construction, as a QS i wouldn't even consider doing something else like health & safety, project management etc.

I had a root around on datacamp last night to see if i'd enjoy data analytics/software eng, but it wasn't up my street at all.
    I think I just want to get away from sitting at a computer all day and do something fulfilling rather than churning numbers.
    Which to be honest, in 2020 is very difficult, most jobs require desk time.

Head is wrecked on what to apply for tomorrow, will probably apply to a good few!!

Would agree on the layout tihs year - it's all well and good saying you can search the courses tomorrow when they go live, but sure they could be gone in a flash with all the people losing their jobs over the last few months.
    I've looked at that excel file of lists then went onto the university it's from, but it is tedious when you don't know what you're looking for.

Thanks for the thread, good to hear of other people in the same boat.

The courses hardly get locked out after a certain amount apply surely?

The courses hardly get locked out after a certain amount apply surely?

Highly doubt it

Na probs not. Just a feeling this year they may go quicker . Anyone did the biopharma ones through NIBRT?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Just coming out of a Springboard funded Level 7 Cert now actually. Exceptional value - work would have paid the full price for me but I decided to fork out the Springboard 10% myself and keep work available to cover something else in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Brozy wrote: »

That is of course is what’s going live tomorrow

That is of course is what’s going live tomorrow

Yes but what they’re saying is, in previous years you could have viewed the courses for the year ahead before applications opened. Tomorrow they go live and all there has been is an excel file with names of courses. I’m sure it’ll be fine but the worry is that some could go like hot cakes after people spend a day or two picking the right one for themselves. Previously they could have done this beforehand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Yes but what they’re saying is, in previous years you could have viewed the courses for the year ahead before applications opened. Tomorrow they go live and all there has been is an excel file with names of courses. I’m sure it’ll be fine but the worry is that some could go like hot cakes after people spend a day or two picking the right one for themselves. Previously they could have done this beforehand

You still can.

I went through the excel sheet and deleted all the ones that have no interest or relevance to me. And basically refined it from there.

Tomorrow I'll click into what is relevant and that'll be that.

Advertisement