Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

F1 2019 - Round 17 Japan

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Inviere wrote: »
    I was quite surprised about the Vettel jump start not getting a penalty. That was a slam dunk jump start, and he clearly went beyond his yellow marker in doing so. Disappointed for him overall though, would have loved to see him take the win, but quite a good recovery drive all the same.

He did not benefit from it so there was no point in punishing him for it. In fact he lost the lead because of it and the chance to win the race too.

Ferrari really should have had a 1-2 here but it was not there fault this time it was both drivers at fault.
    Well done to Bottas he drove a great race and deserved the win. Vettel did do well to recover from his mistake at the beginning and get 2nd.

I would give my driver of the day to Riccardo. Renault done good here.

Mclaren done quiet good too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

AMKC wrote: »
    He did not benefit from it so there was no point in punishing him for it. In fact he lost the lead because of it and the chance to win the race too.

That reasoning didn't stop Kimi's recent penalty for a jump start, he got absolutely smoked by everyone on the grid because of it, and was then given a further penalty...despite his error costing him big time. No consistency at all. Kimi clearly cleared his box line in this case, but the error cost him anyway - https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2019/9/Russian_GP__Raikkonen_jumps_the_start_in_Sochi.html

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That reasoning didn't stop Kimi's recent penalty for a jump start, he got absolutely smoked by everyone on the grid because of it, and was then given a further penalty...despite his error costing him big time. No consistency at all. Kimi clearly cleared his box line in this case, but the error cost him anyway - https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2019/9/Russian_GP__Raikkonen_jumps_the_start_in_Sochi.html

Good point. In that case I think Kimi did not deserve either of them penalty's and that the stewards were wrong.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I thought Albon really delivered this weekend, he qualified with the same time as Max, despite never having raced the circuit before, and finished as best of the rest after Merc and Ferrari which was all the Red Bull was capable of. Much better performance than anything Gasly managed in the same vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭nf2k

Consistency definitely a problem. I do think no penalty was the right decision. He didn't benefit and corrected himself and lost out. It wasn't a jump start in the sense that he didn't get a headstart.

I agree though, not consistent. There needs to be less leeway in all these rules but perhaps that is not possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭recyclebin

They should review the stewards decisions just like they are reviewing the rugby referees in the world cup. Tell them they got it wrong and the next time this happens it should be penalty X, Y or Z.

Way too many inconsistencies in giving penalties for the exact same offences.

There was no reason not to penalise Le Clerc during the race. This thing of leaving it until after the race is a farce.

Albon was also lucky not to get a penalty too on Norris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

I’m watching a recording

I was just about to post up how Perez had such an amazing race. Started 17. Real smart pit when in 11th place and nothing to play for. Managed to catch up to 7th. It wasn’t getting mentioned by commentators but I was so proud. There was no rain and only one retirement so him and the team really deserved it. Then he crashed on the last lap and nobody will notice the great race he had on the other 50 odd laps.

Just seen he got 9th? Weird but it’s better than a kick up the hole as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Interesting, and to me surprising, to see Magnussen ended up with the 3rd fastest lap time towards the end of the race.

Also somewhat embarrassing to see that his team-mate's fastest lap was over 3 seconds slower! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

nf2k wrote: »
    Consistency definitely a problem. I do think no penalty was the right decision. He didn't benefit and corrected himself and lost out. It wasn't a jump start in the sense that he didn't get a headstart.

I agree though, not consistent. There needs to be less leeway in all these rules but perhaps that is not possible.

Agreed, I think if a driver makes a mistake that costs him (or her!), then the penalty is already there...they've penalised themselves, there's no need to tick a box by adding another penalty. I think in this case it was the right call by the stewarts, but in Kimi's case, it was all kinds of wrong. As above, Le Clerc being penalised after the race, seriously, what's up with that? He was let drive around with bits falling off his car too...crazy stuff.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Inquitus wrote: »
    I thought Albon really delivered this weekend, he qualified with the same time as Max, despite never having raced the circuit before, and finished as best of the rest after Merc and Ferrari which was all the Red Bull was capable of. Much better performance than anything Gasly managed in the same vehicle.

Really goes to show, it's not *just* about having the fastest car, Albon Really has solidified his place with Redbull (hopefully!) Gasly was overwhelmed with the pressure me feels

• Advertisement
Advertisement