Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sex is Not Rent

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Mate can you show me what properties produce the returns to be one of these landlords, most that i know are making a few quid on top of the mortgage and the government bends them over arseways to make it barely worth it.

Also we have absolutely no confirmation that this guy is the landlord and not just the flatmate...

Not one criticism of the landlord from you, your mother must be so proud of you.
    Run downstairs and ask her will you.

Scoundrel wrote: »
    Awww the poor landlords the most persecuted people in the land can't a creepy landlord suggest sex as rent without being judged and hounded by leftists?? Can't they make obscene profit off the desperation of others in peace? Can't they charge people to share a bed without judgement? Can't they put too many people in unsafe hellholes without interference? The poor creatures just trying to profit off the misery of others is all.

Every post in this thread prior to yours is shooting the messenger and/or defending the sad f**k sexually harassing this woman. Thats this board for you, summed up in one thread.

Ive seen this happen a few times, landlords asking for sexual favours in lieu of rent.
    I dont think the point of sharing the messages was to suggest all landlords are perverts, I think the point of it is to show how the housing crisis is in some cases resulting in the objectification and exploitation of tenants. If the girl in the messages was in a desperate situation were she couldn't afford rent, as many tenants are these days, she could potentially be very vulnerable to this type of exploiton. The messages are highlighting what is happening as it's becoming more common.

Lost on this lot.

Its not a landlord anyhow- note the 'live with me in my house' part. Its a rent-a-room situation. Using it as ammunition to tar the entire sector is a deliberate misrepresentation of the situation- however, Ruth is gaining a reputation for misrepresenting situations. How she is managing to keep a straight face while using this 'example' is beyond me. I have no doubt that there are genuine cases of what she is suggesting happening out there- however, she has really shot herself in the foot by not even reading the sliocht carefully............ Not that she cares.

Semantics.
    Did you say the same when maggie's boy had his 'social welfare cheats cheats us all' dog whistle campaign?

You dress me up, I'm your puppet
    You buy me things, I love it
    You bring me food, I need it
    You give me love, I feed it
    And look at the two of us in sympathy
    With everything we see
    I never want anything, it's easy
    You buy whatever I need
    But look at my hopes, look at my dreams
    The currency we've spent
    I love you, you pay my rent
    You phone me in the evening on hearsay
    And bought me caviar
    You took me to a restaurant off Broadway
    To tell me who you are
    We never-ever argue, we never calculate
    The currency we've spent
    I'm your puppet
    I love it
    And look at the two of us in sympathy
    And sometimes ecstasy
    Words mean so little, and money less
    When you're lying next to me
    But look at my hopes, look at my dreams
    The currency we've spent
    Look at my hopes, look at my dreams
    The currency we've spent
    Look at my hopes, look at my dreams
    The currency we've spent
    I love you, you pay my rent (It's easy, it's so easy)
    You pay my rent (It's easy, it's so easy)
    You pay my rent (It's easy, it's so easy)
    I love you (It's easy, it's so easy)
    (It's easy, it's so easy)

• Advertisement

HamSarris wrote: »
    I was very curious to read this thread to see if landlords would defend the indefensible. And I was not disappointed. If someone's daughter has to sleep with 4 landlords to make her way through college then that’s the free market - and she should be honoured a landlord would find her attractive enough.

People have compared this to soliciting a prostitute but such men are higher on the moral hierarchy than pervy landlords. A man who visits a prostitute is humble enough to admit he needs to pay for sex. A pervy landlord is an opportunist, taking advantage of a woman in a vulnerable position and pretending like she’d get with him anyway.

Forgetting individual morality, society starts to become unstable if you get this type of informal prostitution for basic needs like accommodation and work. Men would struggle to get accommodation because they can’t provide ‘other benefits’ to their landlords. Women would have an ongoing sense of disgust anticipating meeting their landlord’s needs after lectures.

These situations are more common in the UK, I guess a landlord might care less about his reputation in a big city. But the housing crisis here has created a sense of grandiosity among landlords, such that some would believe they're doing the woman a favour.

You'll never be dissappointed by the landlord brigade that make up the vast majority on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,545 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Its not a landlord anyhow- note the 'live with me in my house' part. Its a rent-a-room situation. Using it as ammunition to tar the entire sector is a deliberate misrepresentation of the situation- however, Ruth is gaining a reputation for misrepresenting situations. How she is managing to keep a straight face while using this 'example' is beyond me. I have no doubt that there are genuine cases of what she is suggesting happening out there- however, she has really shot herself in the foot by not even reading the sliocht carefully............ Not that she cares.

According to the article, the woman was renting, and was moving out of, a place in Rathmines. The landlord of that place then offered her the 'special deal' in his own place. So, if we are to believe this story at all, it was a landlord.

Not fair to tar all landlords with the same brush? Absolutely correct. But also unfair to misrepresent things to say that this isn't a landlord situation in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

From my reading of Casanova the Landlord's Whatsapp messages I strongly suspect that English isn't his first language.

I wonder where he comes from. Maybe Ruth or one of her henchpersons could advise us.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Portsalon wrote: »
    From my reading of Casanova the Landlord's Whatsapp messages I strongly suspect that English isn't his first language.

I wonder where he comes from. Maybe Ruth or one of her henchpersons could advise us.

Oh now that we established he is a foreigner the condemnation of his actions will start. I love it when people put both of their brain cells in use and find a novel way to ignore the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,254 ✭✭✭✭ted1

meeeeh wrote: »
    With a good reason. If that kind of cowboy behaviour is acceptable to some there is maybe a good reason to encourage institutional landlords into the market. There is no law that says rent should cover mortgage repayments.

I'm not one of poor tenants brigade but this is a business not a way to pick up dates. People should treat it as such.

No one here knows the authenticity of the messages, nor do they know the relationship between the tenant and landlord or landlady.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

I love it when people put both of their brain cells in use and find a novel way to ignore the problem.

Presumably it's because you love it that you keep doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Suppose I better start charging the wife rent now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

ted1 wrote: »
    No one here knows the authenticity of the messages, nor do they know the relationship between the tenant and landlord or landlady.

I guess if poor landlord was slandered unfairly he could step forward and explain the situation.

Yes it is I'm no fan of Ruth Coppinger but all complaints are about her and how the poor slandered man should sue her for the breach of privacy.

No one can empathise how someone would feel sleeping in their rental property knowing that their scum of a landlord has keys to their home. Normally functioning market would spar out scum like that but at the moment people are forced to rent from people like him because there is nothing else.

What are you on about?

The landlord made a pass at a tenant. It didn't work out for him, and they moved on.

You've invented a completely artificial world from a tweet that you've twisted to suit yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

What are you on about?

The landlord made a pass at a tenant. It didn't work out for him, and they moved on.

You've invented a completely artificial world from a tweet that you've twisted to suit yourself.

plus it might not actually be a landlord, it could be a flatmate and it appears this exchange only happens when the other tenant was leaving so not even a single night of worry spent in the house...

What are you on about?

Which is exactly what you've just done.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Mod Note

This is dropping into chaos. At least one poster has reverted to personal attacks on other posters.

Keep the comments civil and attack the post, not the user.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭CPTM

Does anyone know if what the guy did was actually illegal in Ireland? Just so I'm clear, I'm not saying his proposal wasn't wrong, I'm genuinely interested in whether there are laws in Ireland to prevent these types of horrible proposals.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Coppinger etc don’t see the irony that her ilk are a massive cause of this crisis. Don’t build anything near me , no high rise four floor blocks. Build standard apartments only and pay e2000 a month plus for one. Sure shouldn’t the morons all just go out and get hundred thousand a year jobs and problem solved ?

Mate can you show me what properties produce the returns to be one of these landlords, most that i know are making a few quid on top of the mortgage and the government bends them over arseways to make it barely worth it.

Also we have absolutely no confirmation that this guy is the landlord and not just the flatmate...

And then when the landlord sells his property? Who's paid the mortgage?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Landlord wasn't the brightest light in the harbour to be putting such a proposition in writing. However it wasn't a do or else scenario. He asked she declined end of. What Coppinger thinks she is achieving by bringing this to light is anyone's guess. If she had of being of a mind to accept his offer then it would have been a private arrangement between two consenting adults. The only person coming out of this with her rep intact is the tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

He never mentioned sex in his messages. There is a lot of inference there.... says a lot about the gullible idiots who think that way....,

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Palmach wrote: »
    If two citizens agree a rent that is part or in whole the provision of sex for housing then the state should not interfere.

It would be difficult to determine this sort of thing to a level of proof I would be happy with, a bit like the death penalty.

But if it could be determined that the guy actually posted a sex for accommodation ad, I'd be cool with a Garda canine unit biting his bollocks off.

And then when the landlord sells his property? Who's paid the mortgage?

The Landlord has.

Whilst the renter has paid the rent.

(unless you're saying that people shouldn't have to actually pay rent as the landlord will use it for his own benefit? rather than donate it all to charity?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Dav010 wrote: »
    How does Ruth’s tenant feel about her discussing his texts in the Dail? I’d be making a GDPR complaint if I was him.

On what basis?

Edit: Nevermind, it's been pointed out the poster has no understanding of GDPR legislation.

The Landlord has.

Whilst the renter has paid the rent.

(unless you're saying that people shouldn't have to actually pay rent as the landlord will use it for his own benefit? rather than donate it all to charity?)

No I'm saying, that the statement, "most that i know are making a few quid on top of the mortgage" is incredibly disingenuous. It gives the effect that the landlord is only making 20 quid or so out of the rent, when they'll be left with a decent lump sum that's been paid for by someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

It might be the way I'm reading it BUT isn't the tenant leaving anyway and it's just some not so subtle flirting?

Of course if the LL has been a creepy pervert during the lease period then I reserve the right to change opinion but on what I read = Fake news

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭overkill602

we need more progressive tds in our Parliament not pbp who have an anti LL agenda they want to tax workers and there pensions to give free houses and more dole to anyone who turns up or dosent want to work.
    She got a great piece of publicity here on something that's more lightly made up or exaggerated don't know any professional LL would engage in this shenanigans if true it was not a responsible owner.

Mod Note
    keep the comments civil please.

Post revised.

No I'm saying, that the statement, "most that i know are making a few quid on top of the mortgage" is incredibly disingenuous. It gives the effect that the landlord is only making 20 quid or so out of the rent, when they'll be left with a decent lump sum that's been paid for by someone else.

The landlord, week to week, may well be only making €20 out of it. Yes, they'll inevitably get their property paid for, but that's why it's an investment..?

If you were actually only getting €20 a week out of it,and nothing else, why would you do it? No one would have anywhere to rent then, as there'd be no such thing as a rental market.

If a landlord has spent a quarter of a million on a house in Dublin, then obviously he wants to make that money back. To suggest otherwise is nonsense, but the reality is that until the property is paid in full, he is only making €20 out of it.

At the end he'll have a nice, 'free' property. Assuming no one smashes it in bits, the rental market doesn't collapse and it's taken from him, and so long as he doesn't have to deal with druggies, travellers or general scumbags making his life a misery etc. in the process.

Also, landlord has to give his time, and money, to perform maintenance tasks, replace appliances, etc. in day-to-day life, so he's spending his time on the property/tenants, too.

I'm not a landlord, I've no personal experience of ever being one, and I agree that renting has gone crazy in recent years, but I don't see why people begrudge them making a few euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭overkill602

and the chance of a shag might encourage more LLs into the business

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement