Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Would you go travelling on your own?

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Travelling solo is the only way to go really. You get to do what you want, when you want. Take the plunge OP...you won't regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Go for it.do a small trip of a couple of days away to try it out first. I often go on holidays on my own. I do a mixture of on my own or with a few friends but in my 30s friends are becoming less of a option
    if u are uncertain about solo travel check out the likes of g adventures/interpid etc..might be a bit dearer but u have some company of like minded people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Go for it.do a small trip of a couple of days away to try it out first. I often go on holidays on my own. I do a mixture of on my own or with a few friends but in my 30s friends are becoming less of a option
    if u are uncertain about solo travel check out the likes of g adventures/interpid etc..might be a bit dearer but u have some company of like minded people

yes you will find some family members/friends/people you work with may give you funny looks and question it when you say you are going on your own. I once had someone say solo travel is for saddos and single people but that's not the case. go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

I’m a single male of the baby boomer generation.

I prefer solo travel. As an academic, my work life is regimented into 1-hour time slots. Getting away by myself is the only time I can do exactly what I want whenever I want to do it. Decide to sleep late? Sure. Rent a car and just go exploring? Check. It’s the most relaxing and refreshing way to go for me.

That said, I understand the reasonable concern one might have with safety and having to deal with any unforeseen problems entirely on one’s own. Here are a few common sense suggestions. Others may have others.

(1) Carry more than one credit card, issued from different banks or companies. This way if there’s a problem with one you’ll have a backup. Carry photocopies of your cards and leave these where you’re staying.

(2) Have at least two bank accounts with different banks accessible electronically from an ATM. Again, make photocopies of the cards, and be sure you know how to contact the issuers should you need to.

(3) Depending on the nature of your accommodations, it might be possible to let your hosts know your general plans for the day. If so it can’t hurt.

(4) Never carry all your cash in one place.

Cheers,

Ac

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

I'd love to go travelling on my own. Do what ya want, go where ya want. No nagging from anyone. Blissful :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭the14thwarrior

I travelled on my own, albeit many years ago. did Europe one year for a few months, but I had some work camps organised to get me from one country to the next (3). that way I volunteered for a good cause, and met people and had at least accommodation sorted for 3 weeks each time. that was my first time, but I was young! second time I went to Nepal, Thailand, Singapore etc. two years after that, on my own. I had no option, few friends could take off etc. I can't give much advice on the practicalities, we had no internet, no ATMs, I had no credit or debit cards. these days it is SO EASIER!. since then I've done short hops, mostly to USA. got fed up asking if anyone wanted to go. please just go and don't look back. you'll meet up people when and if you need to. you will get lonely, but you will also need to talk or link in with some people along the way. I am old now (hmm, I won't say how old) but I look back and thank god I did it. I took risks and I had some mishaps, but seriously, don't wait. just go for it.

I never thought it odd, I just did it. I'd still be waiting for someone to travel so go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

Agricola wrote: »
    But as for many people just on the wrong side of 30, it's a bit of a pipe dream now.

Yeah, definitely. You should just get a comfy pair of slippers and wait to carted away in a black Mercedes. End of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Ice Maiden

jetsonx wrote: »
    Yeah, definitely. You should just get a comfy pair of slippers and wait to carted away in a black Mercedes. End of.
    Well I suppose they mean people that age are more likely to have a career they cannot just take a break from, mortgage, children. Although from my observations that's more of a mid 30s onwards thing rather than early 30s. Early 30s still seems young enough to do the travelling thing - if only just.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

Hi OP

Stop talking about it and just do it. Enjoy wherever you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

Hammer89 wrote: »
    What say you? Would you travel the world completely on your own initially?

Absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt. In fact I did an around the world trip years back and the majority of it was on my own. Some of it was with a neighbour of mine at the time but there were many times where we split up and went our separate ways, not out of spite but because we had different places we wanted to see at different times. It was fantastic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭byrner51

reviving an old thread here. But just curious did you ever go in the end OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Hammer89 wrote: »
    Yeah, I was thinking more along the lines of places like Thailand and Vietnam and whatnot. Sure what kind of adventures can I get up to in Paris that I can't in Dublin? I've got the rest of my life to see Paris and other parts of Europe. The same, I don't think, can be said for places like Bangkok, which you're more likely to see when you're young I reckon. Places like this are seedy and a bit dangerous, which makes them quite interesting and exciting. The closest I'd get to that in Paris is most probably Space Mountain at Disneyworld.

Please make sure you have travel insurance that covers repatriation of your remains.I am serious. Travelling alone to dangerous places is dangerous; with the murder in Goa so recent?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Currently in Goa on my own. Been in India for almost 2 months now and only had the company of my sister and her boyfriend for about a week of that time. Have made friends and got myself a boyfriend.

Will be moving on through India in a few weeks and hope to meet up with my sis and her fella in Nepal in May.

Go for it. Life is an adventure that you start alone (unless you are a twin) and end on your own so there is nothing to worry about in between.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Graces7 wrote: »
    Please make sure you have travel insurance that covers repatriation of your remains.I am serious. Travelling alone to dangerous places is dangerous; with the murder in Goa so recent?

Loving your sense of optimism and positivity! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Full.Duck

Do it. Do it now. You wont regret it. I have traveled on my own lots. It forces you to talk to people and get out of your comfort zone. When you do, you realise how easy it is. i was always really shy, would not talk to people i didnt know etc. Travelling has changed that and now im a lot more confident. Have left the country and set up a new life for myself all on my own. I would never look back. Also it does not make you look weird in the slightest. There are so many people who travel on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Went to Australia for a year backpacking on my own in '97. Was not the original plan but worked out that way.

I was very nervous about going but turned out to be the best thing ever. I had a great time, saw more, did what I want and met some great like minded people. Had a great craic.

Met so many people travelling alone. Many of whom started out with travel partners but who eventually went their separate ways as it didn't work out.

Also, met a woman who I had what I thought was a holiday fling with but 20 years later we're still together and very happily married.

So go for it.

Finally, you should try going to the cinema on your own, it's fine, nobody really notices you, especially in a dark room. I go often as I have my own taste in films and sometimes times don't suit other people. I don't get why people would find it a strange thing to do at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Graces7 wrote: »

Stop scaremongering. What happend in Goa was awful but very rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭con___manx1

I travelled through Canada and the states for a year on my own. Made some great friends that I'm still in contact with years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

Flying to Kuala Lumpur on the 5th July. 6-7 months arsing around Southeast Asia followed by a few months snowboarding! Have never gone to the cinema on my own, nothing against it though.

Advertisement