Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Milking goat

Options
  • 14-03-2020 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

Looking to buy a milking goat. I've 2 acres of land(including my garden) that I want to keep the grass down and would like to get milk from it also. What type of goat is it I should buy and items needed for milking and to know the milk is safe. Pure novice here so go easy on me haha

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Hillybilly4

Goats are lovely and addictive - be warned! I'm a novice too as only got my two goats last August.
    Goats are herd animals so you will need at least 2 - I got a nanny and her doeling (young female kid) so she was already in milk.
    Goats are notoriously picky eaters - they browse rather than graze so not good for keeping the grass cut. And they will eat anything you DON'T want them to eat rather than what you do.
    Saanens and Toggenburgs are two of the traditional dairy goat breeds.
    If milking by hand a milk stand is invaluable (I found anyway). My OH made mine for me.
    You will need a herd number (straightforward process).
    A good ref book is Storey's Guide to Raising Dairy Goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

Goats are lovely and addictive - be warned! I'm a novice too as only got my two goats last August.
    Goats are herd animals so you will need at least 2 - I got a nanny and her doeling (young female kid) so she was already in milk.
    Goats are notoriously picky eaters - they browse rather than graze so not good for keeping the grass cut. And they will eat anything you DON'T want them to eat rather than what you do.
    Saanens and Toggenburgs are two of the traditional dairy goat breeds.
    If milking by hand a milk stand is invaluable (I found anyway). My OH made mine for me.
    You will need a herd number (straightforward process).
    A good ref book is Storey's Guide to Raising Dairy Goats.

TY

Can't seem to find anywhere selling milking goats . None on done deal anywhere near me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

kingbhome wrote: »
    TY

Can't seem to find anywhere selling milking goats . None on done deal anywhere near me

Try some of the Facebook groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Goats wont keep the grass down-they browse the hedgerows rather than graze.
    Also not keen on bad weather so would need free access to a cosy shed.
    A milking goat is great,but you are commiting yourself to milking every day so think about weekends away and holidays.
    I'd imagine a lot more goats will become available in a few weeks as kids are becoming weaned.
    Saanan and toggenburg are great milkers and cope well with the climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

We have a few goats and milked for a bit last summer - it's tough going! You definitely need some type of stand for them and they need to be milked every day. You'll be surprised also with the volume of milk that 1 goat can produce.

As others have said, you need at least 2 and some type of cover for them - they hate the rain! We would regularly see the other animals out grazing away even during a small shower but the goats will be making a run for the shed at the slightest drop!

You're not meant to tether goats so you will need a good secure fence although I did but did it carefully and kept a regular eye on them. They will eat everything so be careful of shrubs, flowers etc that you have but, more importantly, that your neighbours might have!

We just had 2 pygmy kids last week and they're very funny little animals. Give it a go if you're prepared and bets of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Just want to share a goat story - I've spent this evening fencing the top of a wall from my kid goat. She has discovered that she can jump onto this wall, walk alone a tiny ledge going upwards until she reaches the chimney, she then walks along the ridge tile of a single storey back kitchen to where the flat roofed bathroom joins and from there she got onto the two storey ridge roof of the main dwelling-house! To say my heart was in my mouth doesn't really describe it! She is not a milk breed, more mountain goat combined with cat I think.
    I just wanted to tell someone! Goats are addictive. I've never had anything to do with them until this one arrived as a orphan for me to rear. She considers us as her family and me as her mother! When restrictions are lifted I'm hoping to get a companion for her. Then we will have two sitting the top of the roof, fixing the aerial and scaring the neighbours!

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Had two when I was a child, they really are beautiful intelligent animals.

I considered it a few times, but keeping a milking goat does keep you tied to home 7 days a week.

Let us know if you decide to go ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 13,250 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

If I fit a nanny with a kid at foot, would I be ok with milking every few days?

Advertisement