Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you consider nationalists from Northern Ireland to be Irish?

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,247 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

mehico wrote: »
    Im not trying to dismiss your reasons but once a person is elected democratically I don't think it makes a mockery of the electoral process.

OK, I'll rephrase, it makes a mockery of the electoral process if someone who doesn't live in the country is allowed to stand for an elected position here.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭dabestman1

Yes, as I have family that are from the north, I find it highly insulting to suggest that they are anything but irish. As for the remark about SF fielding candidates that were northern based wrong, if the electorate votes for them and they get a seat, thats good enough for me. Its not just SF who does this, FG have done this recently with Austin Currie, Mark Durkan,admittedly with losing outcomes.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,247 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

dabestman1 wrote: »
    Its not just SF who does this, FG have done this recently with Austin Currie, Mark Durkan,admittedly with losing outcomes.

As far as I'm concerned FG were as much out of order fielding those candidates as SF were with theirs, I just used SF as an example as Martin McGuinness' bid for president was mentioned earlier in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭ Spleerbun

Zaph wrote: »
    The GFA allows people from Northern Ireland to decide whether they're Irish or British and carry the appropriate passport, and I've no problem with that.

Yeah but from my experience what tends to wind people up is the ones who choose to have both and are Irish when it suits and British when it suits. The ones who "renounce" their right to the British passport and have Irish and Irish only, from my experience in these discussions at least, don't tend to be looked down upon to the same extent

• Registered Users Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I sure do, it's not their fault the Brits still hold a claim on part of our country.

Sure nobody would have been Irish so before independance going by what some are saying seeing as the whole country was under Brit rule.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

As far as I'm concerned FG were as much out of order fielding those candidates as SF were with theirs, I just used SF as an example as Martin McGuinness' bid for president was mentioned earlier in the thread.

Gordon Wilson's appointment to the Seanad was an excellent decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Why do people find it so difficult to wrap their heads around the fact Ireland is f*cking Ireland?

The 6 counties are absolutely occupied, and we are where we are with the history of that. The plantation of Ulster happened to be the most successful element of British occupation on this island. What do we do? Throw people off the Island? Absolutely not. No one wants that. We have a shared history. The flag is Green, white and Gold for a reason.

I'm no Sinn Fein voter. By a long, long mile. Some seriously sinister people in the mix there, but for those not sinister, at least they did not let their country men down.

I was disgusted at this lady's comment. Irish people born in the North and of the McGuinness vintage were born into a place that did not want them, but to which they belong. And this lady comes along and tells them they are not Irish. They are every bit welcome anywhere on this island. This is Ireland. It's not England. We're Irish. Not Anglo Saxon. Even the new Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,568 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Personally id consider them to be "Northern Irish" but im not gonna argue with someone who insists on calling themselves something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Ok, we just need to clarify. Maybe we're all Irish, those in the republic be Republicans and the ones in the union are unionists?

Seriously though it's too broad, you can be part of multiple groups. Anyone living or born in Ireland has at least a basis for calling themselves Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

One does not need to be from the 26 counties to be Irish. I've always found it bizarre that some people down south think the creation of an independent state brought with it the creation of the Irish identity. As has been said already, this logic suggests there were no Irish people prior to independence.

I also remember well the cringeworthy arrogance of that woman in the clip from the OP. The bright spark didn't seem to realise that we already had a President from the North (McAleese), as well as one born in London (Childers) and one born in New York (de Valera).

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I'm shocked to see that 30% or so would not consider NI people as Irish! I would consider all NI as Irish but would have to respect the view of those of them who identify as British only. I'd say it is a small number.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Dinosaurs still alive I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭votecounts

One does not need to be from the 26 counties to be Irish. I've always found it bizarre that some people down south think the creation of an independent state brought with it the creation of the Irish identity. As has been said already, this logic suggests there were no Irish people prior to independence.

I also remember well the cringeworthy arrogance of that woman in the clip from the OP. The bright spark didn't seem to realise that we already had a President from the North (McAleese), as well as one born in London (Childers) and one born in New York (de Valera).
    She came across as a fool who obviously had never read a history or geography book.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

saabsaab wrote: »
    I'm shocked to see that 30% or so would not consider NI people as Irish! I would consider all NI as Irish but would have to respect the view of those of them who identify as British only. I'd say it is a small number.

I didn't vote, should be an option that it's up to the individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,754 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

myshirt wrote: »
    The flag is Green, white and Gold for a reason.

Not being a smart arse but is the flag not green white and orange?

I have heard it being described as green white and gold before though and always wondered where it originated from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

I didn't vote, should be an option that it's up to the individual.

But do you consider Northerners who wish to identify as Irish, to be as Irish yourself?

That was what the second option in the poll was for.

The third option was for people who don't consider nordies Irish even if they played nothing but GAA, spoke fluent Irish and only held an Irish passport.

I haven't voted because I'm not Irish and only want people from the ROI to vote in it to make the results more accurate (if that's possible) but the second option would be my prefered option.

I absolutely would consider protestants/unionists to be British as anyone in England, Scotland or Wales, that's their choice and should be respected. They are of full British heritage after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,099 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The GFA allows people from Northern Ireland to decide whether they're Irish or British and carry the appropriate passport, and I've no problem with that. But I do draw the line at people like Martin McGuinness or Gerry Adams standing for elected positions in this country when they have not been normal residents of the Republic. Notwithstanding their backgrounds, which I have no time for, but parachuting in and deciding they'd like to be president or a TD makes a mockery of the electoral process and is unfair to the people who didn't vote for them that they may ultimately represent. Gerry Adams doesn't even live in the country of the parliament he's been elected to, how is that right?

There are several key errors in this post.

Not small ones either given your whole premise depends on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Without reading the thread, I view Nationalists as Irish and Unionists as Trannys. (They are in transition and becoming Irish prior to renification when the British eventually get rid, they just do not realise the poor craythurs).

Theres a song in there somewhere, "Come out you black and trans"

• Registered Users Posts: 43,017 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

mfceiling wrote: »

I have heard it being described as green white and gold before though and always wondered where it originated from.

Gold= Rome

Colour of the flag of the Vatican

• Registered Users Posts: 13,099 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Without reading the thread, I view Nationalists as Irish and Unionists as Trannys. (They are in transition and becoming Irish, they just do not realise the poor craythurs)

Are the dissident TERFs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

As polls go that's a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

The 26 counties is only part of Ireland. If someone wants to characterise someone as not being from there then some other term like not Freestater or not 26 countier can be used.

But as Mary McAleese's election showed normal people don't distinguish between one Irish person and another and the sad few who do should get a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

mfceiling wrote: »

the Constitution of Ireland states

The national flag is the tricolour of green, white and orange.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭facehugger99

As long as we don’t have to pay for them they can call themselves whatever they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

I think I've spotted Ivan Yates.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I do consider people born in Northern Ireland to be Irish, but whether they consider themselves Irish or not is the question. The GFA sets out the position of people in the north. They can be Irish or British but they have the choice.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Why would people born in occupied territory be anything but Irish? Ireland is an Island.
    Well Iberia is a peninsula, but they're not all Spanish.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Without reading the thread, I view Nationalists as Irish and Unionists as Trannys. (They are in transition and becoming Irish prior to renification when the British eventually get rid, they just do not realise the poor craythurs).

Theres a song in there somewhere, "Come out you black and trans"

I personally wouldn't consider protestants/unionists from NI to be Irish. The vast majority identify as British ONLY, are of full (or near full) British ancestry, have fought and died with the British army in various wars over the past 100 years (with heavy casualties in WWI, WWII, Iraq, Afghanistan etc).

A lot of blood has been spilt for their right to call themselves British and I think that should be respected, whether we agree with it or not. Just as I would hope people in the ROI would consider the native Irish population up here to be as Irish as those in the 26 counties. If an English person pulled an Ali G "Iz you on holiday?" I would defend that protestant's person right to call himself British and not for him to be mocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Shocking though not entirely surprising that 26% do not consider anyone in the Six Counties to be Irish, a view that runs directly counter to the GFA. Not sure if this is a reflection of loyalists on boards.ie, much of the southern media and establishment being aggressively partitionist, the education system being infiltrated by partitionists, or some combination of these factors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Jesus did we not vote for Fianna fail for long enough?

Advertisement