Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storm Hannah : Fri 26 - Sat 27 April 2019

Comments

green123 wrote: »
    if they got it right we wouldn't be having this discussion.

The problem is that they keep getting it wrong.

And not just once.

Every. Single. Time

How would you come to this opinion unless you continue reading their updates, you're free do do what you want during any weather conditions , ME don't lock down the country, everyone is free to come and go regardless of the weather conditions, it's advice not dictatorship, it's similar to advice re. the wearing of seat belts, speeding etc, some people comply others don't, we all make our own decisions, it's called free will.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

And not just once.

Every. Single. Time

With all due respect green123 they are forecasting...you are "hindcasting"...if there isn't such a word there should be!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

A warning is better than lack of consideration.

Nobody has control over the weather but our personal responsibility is up to ourselves.

There was trees blocking roads all over North Clare and south Galway, plenty of detours and obstruction.

Always remember nature never forgives, but some of us never forget...

Trees will be still falling due to bad sails and disturbance of roots etc....

Be careful

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

Very heavy fall of Hail here in Kildare now. Very gusty still.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

And not just once.

Every. Single. Time

They got nothing wrong; read the posts and learn please. Everything was correctly done for safety.

There is no "discussion"; just a few ..... who have little real idea re forecasting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭green123

I think that the problem is this yellow, orange, red warning system that met Eireann have dreamt up.
    It is too simplistic.

We were at the highest warning level yesterday.

The highest warning level should be reserved for total catastrophe, complete destruction.

Maybe we need levels 1 to 5 ?

Yesterday's event should not rate as the worst possible weather event.

The next time they forecast red most people will just say ah sure the last red wasn't all that bad so they will be more likely to ignore red events going forward.

Like the girl who cried wolf, nobody will believe them in future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

We live on an unsheltered island in the North Atlantic. It's completely reasonable to have these kinds of warnings and to expect the occasional somewhat disruptive wind event.

The red warning was confined to a narrow time frame and a small number of areas and was justified.

The orange warning was also justified and people take simple measures ahead of these events : removing items that are likely to blow around : garden furniture etc. Even just closing and securing shed doors, making sure that windows are shut makes a big difference, moving bins out of harms way and so on is very useful, parking your car away from sources of debris like old trees and so on.

The costs of being unprepared are huge and more disruptive.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭road_high

pad199207 wrote: »
    Very heavy fall of Hail here in Kildare now. Very gusty still.

Same here in Kilkenny- very blustery and showery- storm Hannah is no rush away

• Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Do some people fail to realise that Co.Clare and Kerry, and these counties only, were on a red warning last night.

Do some people fail to realise that basing the max windspeed on an entire county, on a weather station at the far east of said county, is not entirely reflective?

Do some people fail to realise that over 33,000 were without power last night?

Do some people fail to realise that the weather at their location, is not the weather at some other locations miles away?

Strongest storm here in West Clare since Darwin. Moneypoint (just down the road from me) unofficial station recorded 148km/h. Thats, in my view, very well reflective of the extremely nasty gusts we experienced last night. That's also very well within the red warning criteria.

Met Eireann did not get it wrong, and seeing some of the flying debris last night makes me glad that people heeded the warnings and did not head out, or there could be things alot worse than roof damage or power loss to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Hooter23

How dare anyone question met eireann or climate change on this forum..how dare anyone have their own opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Do some people fail to realise that Co.Clare, and Co.Clare only, was on a red warning last night.

Do some people fail to realise that basing the max windspeed on an entire county, on a weather station at the far east of said county, is not entirely reflective?

Do some people fail to realise that the weather at their location, is not the weather at some other locations miles away?

Strongest storm here in West Clare since Darwin. Moneypoint (just down the road from me) unofficial station recorded 148km/h. Thats, in my view, very well reflective of the extremely nasty gusts we experienced last night. That's also very well within the red warning criteria.

Met Eireann did not get it wrong, and seeing some of the flying debris last night makes me glad that people heeded the warnings and did not head out, or there could be things alot worse than roof damage or power loss to worry about.

Kerry was on red for two hours too.

What height is the anemometer at Moneypoint? Just curious as it seems way out of whack of other readings (e.g. Cliffs of Moher and the two buoys).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Still very blustery in Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I think some of the problem is the amount of weather warnings. I thought last nights were appropriate but it’s these yellow warnings blown up on social media and click bait that take the piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Do some people fail to realise that Co.Clare, and Co.Clare only, was on a red warning last night.

Err... Kerry was also on red !!! It was entirely justified as someone who can see moneypoint from the drive way.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Err... Kerry was also on red !!!

I knew that! Oops.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭EnzoScifo

With all due respect green123 they are forecasting...you are "hindcasting"...if there isn't such a word there should be!!!!

Hindcasting sounds like a nice synonym for talking out of one's arse.

How apt :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Still very windy here now in North. County Dublin. We had a power outage just after teatime yesterday that lasted two hours but I have a feeling it wasn't weather related.

Quite windy thereafter but at around 5-5:30am this morning, the most unbelievable squall pushed through. It's a long time since I heard wind and rain like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The red warnings were clearly appropriate for the 2 counties.

I don't see what the problem is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

The red warnings were clearly appropriate for the 2 counties.

I don't see what the problem is.

People don't understand what the warnings mean... orange is be prepared. Which means you should be ready for things like power outages. Red is take action, that's self explanatory. Yellow is simply be aware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

I think some of the problem is the amount of weather warnings. I thought last nights were appropriate but it’s these yellow warnings blown up on social media and click bait that take the piss.

The Status Yellow warnings are daft and counter productive as the public have trouble differentiating them with more serious events. If you're going to be in any sort of situation where a Yellow warning is relevant to safety i.e. say going out for a spot of inshore fishing in a small boat, well you should be capable of looking up an ordinary forecast and assessing the risk. For most day to day living, they have no impact other than to remind people to bring a raincoat or whatever. Met Eireann should drop these Yellow warnings and just give the forecast.

• Advertisement

I think that the problem is this yellow, orange, red warning system that met Eireann have dreamt up.
    It is too simplistic.

The highest warning level should be reserved for total catastrophe, complete destruction.

The next time they forecast red most people will just say ah sure the last red wasn't all that bad so they will be more likely to ignore red events going forward.

A small part of the country only. and you need to read what the warnings mean.

They did not cry wolf. They alerted to dangerous weather. Which does not get defined as the worst possible weather event.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    The Status Yellow warnings are daft and counter productive as the public have trouble differentiating them with more serious events. If you're going to be in any sort of situation where a Yellow warning is relevant to safety i.e. say going out for a spot of inshore fishing in a small boat, well you should be capable of looking up an ordinary forecast and assessing the risk. For most day to day living, they have no impact other than to remind people to bring a raincoat or whatever. Met Eireann should drop these Yellow warnings and just give the forecast.

Operative word is "should"... ane even yellow is more serious than you say

It is too simplistic.

We were at the highest warning level yesterday.

Oh yes we will as most here respect the professional and expert forecasters. and respect the unpredictable elements as not totally following the forecasts.

How would you come to this opinion unless you continue reading their updates, you're free do do what you want during any weather conditions , ME don't lock down the country, everyone is free to come and go regardless of the weather conditions, it's advice not dictatorship, it's similar to advice re. the wearing of seat belts, speeding etc, some people comply others don't, we all make our own decisions, it's called free will.

That's not quite how it works. We live in a country that is increasingly over regulated and it's the inclination of those who have positions of power & influence to try and impose their views. There is social & moral pressure brought to bear on those who prefer to use their own judgements - you'll see and hear them denounced on social & other media and so on.

Whereas we should certainly provide advice but after that let citizens take responsibility for their own actions. E.G. If people are advised not to take a certain road due to snowfall say, well let them decide themselves, but if they get stuck - they should have to extricate themselves by walking out.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Operative word is "should"... ane even yellow is more serious than you say

Yes the operative word is 'should'! It's not up to the State to hold everyone's hands in case they hurt themselves.

Yes the operative word is 'should'! It's not up to the State to hold everyone's hands in case they hurt themselves.

But, can you imagine the uproar if someone got hurt due to weather conditions? Joe Duffy would have a field day!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Darwin

@syranbruen, would be very interested to see your table of storms updated with this one (whenever you might get a chance of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭tiegan

Graces7 wrote: »
    using hindsight which has no place in forecasting,

Best quote of the day goes to Graces7 - this applies to most of the comments in the aftermath of "Hannah"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Just to show how local a wind gust can be yesterday evening looking out the window at a neighbouring tree about 100 feet away it was bent right over during a squall yet my weather station was showing just 20mph, that was in a small area so you can have Red Warning gusts in one part and just a gentle breeze in another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Correct. I've said it before, a Yellow is not a warning of anything and should therefore be scrapped. Orange and Red are all that's required.

Anyway, here are the satellite-derived mean 10-metre windspeeds for 18:33Z and 20:58Z yesterday, respectively. 50-55 knots out west earlier on, down slightly to around 50 knots in the later scan. The buoy data tally with the latter. An abrupt ending to a fairly quiet period of weather and one th at could have been worse than it turned out.

478824.png

478825.png

Advertisement