Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calls for State to build Mosque in Roscommon

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

jmayo wrote: »
    There might not be proper public transport, but people in Roscommon have discovered private transport including automobiles.
    They were introduced by a lad who learned all about such contraptions over in Canada.

I even heard a rumour that some lad was offering a taxi/hackney service.
    Of course it might just be a rumour, he might still just have a horse and trap.
    Even that I suppose it bates the donkey and cart for speed and comfort :rolleyes:
    Love your effort to try and take offense at nothing though. Pretty gas. And edgy, very edgy.

I take it you'll be happy for your taxes to go toward these refugees being taxi'd to and from everywhere? I mean you're saying they have that option, so that's all that can be assumed from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,037 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I don't have a problem with the Mosque being built for people coming from the war they have.

I don't even mind my tax payer money going towards it. The thing is that is the least of our worries now. Its only the start of this moral outrage that these "businessmen" will start with.

Wait another 10 years and it be x50

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

I don't have a problem with the Mosque being built for people coming from the war they have.

I don't even mind my tax payer money going towards it. The thing is that is the least of our worries now. Its only the start of this moral outrage that these "businessmen" will start with.

Wait another 10 years and it be x50

Buy an old 1 room hall. Spend 20 grand on it to make it safe.

Where is it Roscommon? 80 grand and you're done.

refugees have a place to worship. Problem solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

SILVAMAN wrote: »
    A Longford based Pakistani business man has called for the government to build a mosque in Roscommon, for the newly arrived Syrians. He apparently claims that to be there in Ballaghadereen is a "punishment " for them, and that they are being discriminated against, etc.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/calls-for-roscommon-council-to-build-mosque-1.3017962
    Fcuk that nonsense, I say. Let him put his money where his big mouth is and fund one himself. He might take the time to acquaint himself with our culture and laws. This isn't some Islamic dominated dump, rooted in the Middle Ages, which funds mosques, or any other type of religious building.

If they see it as such an awful punishment they are welcome to toddle on back to Syria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Glenster wrote: »
    Buy an old 1 room hall. Spend 20 grand on it to make it safe.

Where is it Roscommon? 80 grand and you're done.

refugees have a place to worship. Problem solved.

Nah, you have to draw a line on state involvement in religion. Give one an inch in terms of government spending and every one of them (and many of their followers) will try to take a mile. I'm all for different cultures, religions etc in Ireland but the state shouldn't be funding these institutions for a number of reasons, not least that if you give something to one all of the others will cry foul, persecution etc until they get given the same amount... and if just one of them finds a loophole or some way to get a tiny bit extra, the others will again all make noise until they get it too, and so on and so on.

They have a mosque 20km down the road if there is a way to make the trip and a local prayer house if not, and it's only a short term placement. Giving this eejit making the demand anything would just be opening a can of worms needlessly. Now if the local community, Irish Muslim community etc wish to make an effort like you have mentioned that is obviously completely grand, but the government should keep well away from this particular item.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Bit daft to put all these people in Ballaghadereen but be damn sure someone is making money from the hotel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

SILVAMAN wrote: »
    A Longford based Pakistani business man has called for the government to build a mosque in Roscommon, for the newly arrived Syrians. He apparently claims that to be there in Ballaghadereen is a "punishment " for them, and that they are being discriminated against, etc.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/calls-for-roscommon-council-to-build-mosque-1.3017962
    Fcuk that nonsense, I say. Let him put his money where his big mouth is and fund one himself. He might take the time to acquaint himself with our culture and laws. This isn't some Islamic dominated dump, rooted in the Middle Ages, which funds mosques, or any other type of religious building.

When did the Pakistani National become spokesperson for Syrians, and when did he remotely care about them? Some people reek of agenda setting and will jump on any bandwagon

12,000 Muslims in the Midlands? :eek:

This hostel in Ballaghdeeran has not been popular because there had been genuine hope that the hotel which will not act like a hostel was going to open up again and bring in jobs. Talk about really wanting to wind up the locals

"The town is like a desert. There’s no activity there,no business there,"

1. The purpose of Asylum is NOT so Ahmed can get a job, but to offer shelter from persecution

2. Well, so is Longford , yet, that never stopped the Pakistan national, who more that likely, at some point, came to Ireland as a "asylum seeker" or "student" and who got "married" or fathered a child in order to get permanent legal status

3. Beggars can't be choosers

A prayer center could EASILY be prepared in the new hostel and even get one of the Irish Mosque leaders to give it a blessing. Would be a lovely day, have some thay and cake ready for them all and give them a big Roscommon welcome (or Mayo)

No doubt the man from Longford will be more than delighted to help out

Sure let him call for a mosque all he wants, it's not like anyone will actually listen to him. Twat.

Hmmm, it is the kind of thing Aodhan MacRioardan of Labour would be jumping up and down on, once he returns from his crusades in NYC

Let them book a room in the local community centre for the hours they want it. Or meet in someone's house for an aul pray whenever they like.

Note this isn't the refugees themselves calling for a mosque, but this kind of guff could taint anyone's opinion against Muslim refugees.

Will the men be segregated from the women ?

There is already a big mosque in Ballyhaunis which is around 15 mins drive from Ballaghaderreen. There is also a house owned by a cleric in Ballaghaderreen which is used as a mosque for anyone who can't make the 15 minute journey to Ballyhaunis Both towns have a big sunni Muslim population and are well able to fund the building their own mosque as already proved without the state getting involved.

Please tell me that the Shannon Side Radio folk or the Irish Times pointed all of this out to the man from Longford

Even Catholic Parishoners in East Galway now have to travelled to the nearest town for mass every second Sunday because the parish priest is the only priest covering both churches / parish

I have a nasty feeling that Middle Ireland will cave in to these demands

• Advertisement

Yeah, I wouldn't mind living there.

RoscommonCastle_zpsw5phuhz5.jpg~original

That is Roscommon Castle in Roscommon Town. Once you pass Roscommon Town, it ain't all that. Well, bar Lough Key in Boyle

Ballaghaderreen ain't like that bro. By no means awful, but, the Pakistani lad kinda has a point

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I wonder does this fella hate Syrians and he is trying to stir up hate against them? The state shouldn't be providing money to build any kind of religious structure. But I am sure a local business or community centre could provide a room to be used as a mosque for Friday prayers? What did Muslims do before there were mosques in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Hope his views aren't shared by the refugees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

Lux23 wrote: »
    I wonder does this fella hate Syrians and he is trying to stir up hate against them? The state shouldn't be providing money to build any kind of religious structure. But I am sure a local business or community centre could provide a room to be used as a mosque for Friday prayers? What did Muslims do before there were mosques in Dublin?

Unfortunately many of the agitators are actually Pakistani-incredibly conservative, but that's to be expected from a veritable sh*t hole of a country.
    What amuses me is coming here when clearly ion their opinion, the things that are supposed to be most important to them are not to be found here.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,091 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

If they see it as such an awful punishment they are welcome to toddle on back to Syria.

I'll donate 2 euro for that coin flip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

The sense of entitlement is strong with that one for sure. A mosque/education center where people can get their ''holy education'' and he wants taxpayers to pay for it? Get lost Muhammad, pay for your own superstitions. As the experience in Sweden, France, Germany etc has shown once muslim populations start rising they start making more and more demands on the host country and expect societies to change to fit in around them, instead of the other way around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭zmgakt7uw2dvfs

Zaph wrote: »
    If the state funded the building of churches and places of worship for other denominations, then I'd have no problem with them doing so for a mosque. But they don't, if a religious denomination wants to build a church, synagogue, temple, meeting house or whatever they have to stump up for it themselves. So I fail to see how this is any different.

Agree. But I'm sure the Saudis will be happy to build one there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Agree. But I'm sure the Saudis will be happy to build one there.

Just what we need in Ireland Saudi/Wahhabi funded hardline mosques. What could possibly go wrong?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Effects wrote: »
    The town is actually a bit of a sad dump. Not a lot going on. Some lovely people though.

Oi! Careful now! My granny comes from Ballaghaderreen.

As for that idiot - let him build a mosque himself. Give an inch and they'll take a mile. He'll be calling for Sharia Law next...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭taylor3

Yeah I live in Roscommon (not Ballaghadereen) and have to say from the get go I thought what on earth will these people do in a town like Ballaghadereen with respect to that town there is not much going on there. I think things like the poor Broadband and lack of public transport will be headwrecking enough for them. Lacking a mosque in town probably wont be the only thing that'll piss then off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Surely safety and a peaceful environment, food and access to education is more important than having amusements on tap. That's what we're supposed to provide to refugees. I understand a place to worship is important to some of them, but that is available not a million miles away and I also thought the state are providing a shuttle bus service to a mosque?

It is unreasonable to suggest we should fund religious buildings, we are stretching our budget to make sure these people can be looked after as it is and imo we should be working toward a secular country, not funding more religion.

It's a temporary stopping place anyway and who is to say they won't be able to return to Syria when things improve, at least in some areas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

taylor3 wrote: »
    Yeah I live in Roscommon (not Ballaghadereen) and have to say from the get go I thought what on earth will these people do in a town like Ballaghadereen with respect to that town there is not much going on there. I think things like the poor Broadband and lack of public transport will be headwrecking enough for them. Lacking a mosque in town probably wont be the only thing that'll piss then off.

They'll head to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Hope his views aren't shared by the refugees.
    I hope his views aren't being taken out of context. I haven't heard much from this man but maybe he's afraid of young syrian lads turning up and finding themselves with nothing to do and alienated from a local community. Maybe he's just trying to get relative services there so that they don't feel unwanted or excluded and developing a dislike for Ireland.

You can't really just dump a load of refugees in a small Irish town and just walk away, it's going to be a massive culture shock for them and they'd be a bit lost if they hadn't some familiarity to break them in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

ScumLord wrote: »
    You can't really just dump a load of refugees in a small Irish town and just walk away, it's going to be a massive culture shock for them and they'd be a bit lost if they hadn't some familiarity to break them in.
    Of course you can, this is Ireland. The last thing Roscommon needs are Christian refugees. Sure aren't Sports against Racism on standby to get these lads interested in sports (hurling not cricket).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

ScumLord wrote: »
    I hope his views aren't being taken out of context. I haven't heard much from this man but maybe he's afraid of young syrian lads turning up and finding themselves with nothing to do and alienated from a local community. Maybe he's just trying to get relative services there so that they don't feel unwanted or excluded and developing a dislike for Ireland.

Hence the better tactic here might have been to create safe zones in Syria instead of dumping these unfortunates in rural Ireland, an alien culture which is not equipped to deal with them.

If were an 18 year old Syrian I wouldn't want to be there either, I would want to be home striving to help my country. The rebuliding process is going to need as many young Syrians as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Hence the better tactic here might have been to create safe zones in Syria instead of dumping these unfortunates in rural Ireland, an alien culture which is not equipped to deal with them.
    We're more than capable of helping them, I didn't intend that to be used as an excuse to renege on our commitments.

I'm just saying, rather than demonize this guy for making some suggestions it might be better to hear him out as he has more experience with that culture than we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Not a fan of Islam in the slightest but this is just one bellend looking for attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,104 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

The sense of entitlement is strong with that one for sure. A mosque/education center where people can get their ''holy education'' and he wants taxpayers to pay for it? Get lost Muhammad, pay for your own superstitions. As the experience in Sweden, France, Germany etc has shown once muslim populations start rising they start making more and more demands on the host country and expect societies to change to fit in around them, instead of the other way around.

Yeah. This is Ireland where we pay for the catholic church to run schools and hospitals. We pay for primary school kids to get a catholic education and prevent women from receiving health care because of our catholic ways. When the church is found guilty of abuse the state actually pays the damages.

get da fcuk out of here with your conspiracy theories. What's being asked for here is no more than the church has in this country. Sure it's wrong for the state to subsidise any religion but to complain about ONE Muslim asking for **** when we have given billions to the church is a bit hypocritical. Especially since we continue to subsidise the catholic church.
    The guy who's asking for this is one bloke. It's not the whole muslim population of Ireland.

This story is nothing more than fodder for islamaphobes and people who read the Irish Daily Mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,104 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Surely safety and a peaceful environment, food and access to education is more important than having amusements on tap. That's what we're supposed to provide to refugees. I understand a place to worship is important to some of them, but that is available not a million miles away and I also thought the state are providing a shuttle bus service to a mosque?

It is unreasonable to suggest we should fund religious buildings, we are stretching our budget to make sure these people can be looked after as it is and imo we should be working toward a secular country, not funding more religion.

It's a temporary stopping place anyway and who is to say they won't be able to return to Syria when things improve, at least in some areas.

I was reading about muslim refugees in the US. Most get the use of a community centre for an afternoon to use as a mosque. I'd imagine that's what happening in roscommon (although it's more likely to be a GAA club there :D ). They probably all pile into some room somewhere and have prayers and then a community meeting.
    The guy who's asking for a dedicated facility to be built is just a windbag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

Yeah, I wouldn't mind living there.

RoscommonCastle_zpsw5phuhz5.jpg~original

That castle is just a shell with a poxy park built around it.
    Come to think of it, feck them into the shell it will feel like home, only colder and wetter.
    give them a rug out of Des Kelly's and they are sorted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement